2018 Axe Cordwood Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just so I understand...he wants everyone to do at least a cord of chopped wood?

Yes, felled, limbed, bucked, and split with only an axe. The only exception for a crosscut saw is for doing the back cut on large trees for safety reasons.

I don't even own an ax!

What, even if you don't use it much, shouldn't any woodsman or woodcutter own at least one axe? Not knocking you, just surprised is all.

This is a neat idea that isn't realistic for me. I burn way more than a cord a year and don't have enough free time to cut and split any by hand. Cheers to those who do it though :)

That's why it's a challenge, it forces you to learn technique with an axe, the way our forebearers used to before power saws or even crosscut saws. It's a lot of work and not as quick or efficient as using a chainsaw, but it's a good workout, is a lot of fun, and hey, you get bragging rights ;)

I cut up a beautiful Ash today, straight as an arrow. I rolled one piece off the trailer when I got home, split like popcorn. Should be a little over half a cord, I'll split it all by hand, my BIL has my splitter, Joe.

A man after my own heart, I cut a smallish stabding dead ash today, mostly straight, slight bend near the base. I don't have a hydro splitter, so I split everything by hand too, and on a brisk day like today, the wood just bursts apart!

Well, I got started around 3:00 pm today and was fighting daylight, but I got started! Still much more to do, but it sure was a lot of fun! Is anyone else sure they don't want to try? I know we're busy, I sure am, but I still got started...

OkmAFem.jpg

5YvzmDH.jpg

hNetfWu.jpg

1XWzj0Z.jpg

PluvQB4.jpg

91kTaVW.jpg

1z57Xo0.jpg

kOM5JYX.jpg

Nice!

I think the sweet spot is the 4-6" logs where you can "buck" without too much chopping but big enough to accumulate quickly.

That's actually my plan, I have a good bit of standing dead ash and oak that are about that diameter. Anything larger and it's going to do me in!

Just so I understand...he wants everyone to do at least a cord of chopped wood?

Bump!

Just to clarify, obviously a cord is the goal, but the minimum requirement for this year is a 4' tall x 8' long Rick of wood. Doesn't matter how long the splits are, a Rick of that size is the same amount of bucking cuts regardless of how long the splits are. C'mon, no other takers?

I have a lot of respect for this guy and all those doing that challenge. I split all my wood by hand with a relatively heavy maul and consider this to be done safely if there is no one around me. Using an axe instead of a chainsaw is definitely not something I would feel safe doing. It’s really a skill that requires time to master. I had the bad experience to cut myself in the foot with my father’s axe when I was young and I imagine how bad it would have been if I had cut an artery in my leg. Also an axe doesn’t cut flesh like a knife does, even with just a little swing it cuts deep. I heard of a renowned surgeon who was experienced at cutting down trees on his property who died crushed under a tree. Maybe he was tired that day or it was just plain bad luck. Please be safe at all time and know your limitations, especially with an axe. My advice if you are not confortable at some point, don’t force yourself to do it. I hope that in a couple of years I will be able to try doing the challenge and I will start practicing at using a lighter axe (higher speed) for splitting and maybe bucking once in a while .

What, even if you don't use it much, shouldn't any woodsman or woodcutter own at least one axe? Not knocking you, just surprised is all.
;)

I haven't had a need for one. Trees are felled with a feller buncher, limbed with a stroke delimber and turned into firewood on a firewood processor.

Latest posts

Back