2018 Windfalls and Blowdowns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it bring you joy, do not be concerned about what others believe. Tighten it, loosen it or wear it for a necklace. Just continue as you were, cause joy aint always easy to come by, so collect all you can....

I stopped caring about what other's thought or believed a while ago, and have lived happier ever since. What I don't like is putting out bad information, and as I mentioned before it was just an explanation, not a statement. Wear it as a necklace? Ha, as if I already don't have enough cuts and scars on me... but, I do as I damn well please, within reason and under the color of law. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - it's a Laconic phrase, not a threat or a lifestyle. :cool:

I was trying to be Multi-National, I figured the guys up North would know what it is. I've told Colt guys I had a Model 1927 11.25 and they said there was no such thing, you didn't even take a second look. :)

When I held it the first time I knew it was one of the Argentinians, then I turned it over to the other side and it confirmed my initial thought. Nice pistol, I only knew about because I considered buying one when I had my C&R FFL 03.

I stopped caring about what other's thought or believed a while ago, and have lived happier ever since. What I don't like is putting out bad information, and as I mentioned before it was just an explanation, not a statement. Wear it as a necklace? Ha, as if I already don't have enough cuts and scars on me... but, I do as I damn well please, within reason and under the color of law. ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - it's a Laconic phrase, not a threat or a lifestyle. :cool:

When I held it the first time I knew it was one of the Argentinians, then I turned it over to the other side and it confirmed my initial thought. Nice pistol, I only knew about because I considered buying one when I had my C&R FFL 03.
Some times I engage my mouth before putting my brain in gear. Before I retired, a friend at work was telling me about this junker Colt clone some one gave him. Said it was some piece of junk made in South America, said he never tried to shoot it because he was afraid it would blow up. Said it looked near mint and was in an Argentine holster. "AFTER" I told him the history and how nice they were, I asked if he would sell it so I could have a pair. He probably would have given it to me if I had of just shut up. Nope, he couldn't let something that nice go!

Funny what a camera representation of reality can do. The two trees are sufficiently far apart so that this one wouldn't topple near the one already on the ground. Not to say the crashing to the ground couldn't catapult a lethal chunk of a smaller tree or limbs that far. You are right got to keep your wits about you. There are too many snags from storms as long ago as 10 years ago that are still hung up there waiting to wreak mayhem.

Was back in that area this morning, and got to a place where I was able to pano a pic that shows the leaner on the left side of picture, and the downed oak on the right side of the picture.

vwgztNFAcS7vdyQINnlfbpVHBjGM0pTlVSEhTBQqh0cuO6-EcLm6ElBuYLKT6NEiGpXQD_iMFxB1PYtMYbEsaMDFM9B1bznsoQ1aibXPXkXX8uBnw3OHLUGPwezcVwf-vMJmmukNXg96A95BFFsnl7oseCoClyy1r-iyP3g89jgsE9eohc5XJhniSMmzmbmHpAu-n2pJEFJhwMFHnzLHzOgkxMcEhRzQPVSu2XN7chSDKr6Gw3I9u-0uqLO8gHvRfZ1FElVhiiDR3eLECXW0U6l_NodzHZ09fu1nXkUgqltKhrHDWNaFJOO2T2BJPauM8F1huY8M6gzs3_uy1RfoRpTWQ131_zisDO54zHYLdqdp3CNG5y-qlCmVg8HArsO8OB354g4RwzIewB1uzwHXvG4eqagkCtKhHuBpk8yiy1i3MDroA5HDACgjQcCDJhGQD2wIsxaN-2ZXFJFtNaI4ukHA9w9fAOXbRIKuzC4JwzJ2XzXssnsqoFJUXaP7UazBZwye8etle5csWOoCniZOw_Ow2mcEoNDAqpKw836VMZciVlKHMFPIB8AcF5DBl9xO4G5FLAoD0ZkzCldSSFfZXFiOJhLNhYlxFA=w1259-h492-no

Was back in that area this morning, and got to a place where I was able to pano a pic that shows the leaner on the left side of picture, and the downed oak on the right side of the picture.

vwgztNFAcS7vdyQINnlfbpVHBjGM0pTlVSEhTBQqh0cuO6-EcLm6ElBuYLKT6NEiGpXQD_iMFxB1PYtMYbEsaMDFM9B1bznsoQ1aibXPXkXX8uBnw3OHLUGPwezcVwf-vMJmmukNXg96A95BFFsnl7oseCoClyy1r-iyP3g89jgsE9eohc5XJhniSMmzmbmHpAu-n2pJEFJhwMFHnzLHzOgkxMcEhRzQPVSu2XN7chSDKr6Gw3I9u-0uqLO8gHvRfZ1FElVhiiDR3eLECXW0U6l_NodzHZ09fu1nXkUgqltKhrHDWNaFJOO2T2BJPauM8F1huY8M6gzs3_uy1RfoRpTWQ131_zisDO54zHYLdqdp3CNG5y-qlCmVg8HArsO8OB354g4RwzIewB1uzwHXvG4eqagkCtKhHuBpk8yiy1i3MDroA5HDACgjQcCDJhGQD2wIsxaN-2ZXFJFtNaI4ukHA9w9fAOXbRIKuzC4JwzJ2XzXssnsqoFJUXaP7UazBZwye8etle5csWOoCniZOw_Ow2mcEoNDAqpKw836VMZciVlKHMFPIB8AcF5DBl9xO4G5FLAoD0ZkzCldSSFfZXFiOJhLNhYlxFA=w1259-h492-no

Do you plan on felling that leaner any time soon?

Good grief, is that in your neighborhood or are you in the crew cleaning that up?

Do you plan on felling that leaner any time soon?

Good grief, is that in your neighborhood or are you in the crew cleaning that up?

yes last month and we had 100click winds go tho yesterday starting fire all over the dry state & im about to go to work on what was planned day off for wifes & I 25 wedding anniversary

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-power-due-to-high-winds-20180318-p4z4zi.html

thankful as yet no one killed

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...-vets-sent-in-after-hundreds-of-cattle-killed

Had some howling wind yesterday and into the evening. I was sitting here at my desktop completing some taxes and heard a loud noise. It was after dark, and didn't sound all that close. My son heard it too, my wife heard nothing. I guessed it was a power transformer somewhere in the not too distant area, and was glad it did not affect my power. I assume the IRS was happy too.

This morning while walking down my driveway, and about 600 yards from my house, to pick up the morning newspaper I spied the source of the sound. Not good for a neighbor.
IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
But lucky for me, the tree base was about 20' onto his property rather than on mine. Still too soon to ask if he wants the wood.

Had some howling wind yesterday and into the evening. I was sitting here at my desktop completing some taxes and heard a loud noise. It was after dark, and didn't sound all that close. My son heard it too, my wife heard nothing. I guessed it was a power transformer somewhere in the not too distant area, and was glad it did not affect my power. I assume the IRS was happy too.

This morning while walking down my driveway, and about 600 yards from my house, to pick up the morning newspaper I spied the source of the sound. Not good for a neighbor.
View attachment 644536

View attachment 644537
View attachment 644538
But lucky for me, the tree base was about 20' onto his property rather than on mine. Still too soon to ask if he wants the wood.

Wholly Carp! That sucks..... I guess that's why we have insurance.... I feel for them, though... that would not be pleasant to wake up to, although, it could have been A LOT worse...

Scout and I are still hiking in freezing temperatures. Took a different route through this logged out area on our "Spring" shed hunting hikes. We are finding more windfall trees than sheds . This is one of a couple of the few remaining trees left on this hillside that has been successively logged the last decade to the point that only about 5% of the original growth is still there.

IMG_2669.JPG

Back