The Official Axe Cordwood Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felt this made more sense here than the restoration thread as this will be my main rig.

I stripped the paint off the Plumb I just picked up. Fought the urge to hit it with the angle grinder and did it by hand. Course I sharpened it the other day. Heads a bit loose, need to get that sorted.

Otherwise that's it. Not gonna change the handle, re-profile, or anything.

Just gonna put a beatin' on some wood with it.

View attachment 773487

Looks like a good chopper. Any specific grind angle you're working with?

I'm not sure what the angle is. Head looks nearly untouched.

Previous axe I was using was sticking like a son of gun. It'd bite but never clear chips. Obviously there's multiple factors including technique but it really put me off overly thin profiles. I believe it was a hollow grind as well but I'd have to check. It was excellent in small stuff. It probably be great as a bushcraft type of axe. Big stuff it just plain sucked. Stock Fiskars made it look bad.

I'm not sure what the angle is. Head looks nearly untouched.

Previous axe I was using was sticking like a son of gun. It'd bite but never clear chips. Obviously there's multiple factors including technique but it really put me off overly thin profiles. I believe it was a hollow grind as well but I'd have to check. It was excellent in small stuff. It probably be great as a bushcraft type of axe. Big stuff it just plain sucked. Stock Fiskars made it look bad.

I'm not a fan of a hollow grind in axes. Not sure what it is, but they seem to stick more especially if a deep bite - and don't separate the chips like I want. I need to get the new handle made for my 3.5 Kelly Perfect Jersey, been meaning to swing that mofo again.

When I saw DSW's axe I thought Plumb. It reminds me of one of my US Plumb. The poll shape or style or something. Nice axe for sure. Here is a my USA Plumb...View attachment 773788 Just a nice 4lb hard hitting wood divider.

That's a bit different than DSW's axe - that there is looks like a Connie (Connecticut Pattern) — and if it's a 4 pounder, then you've got a real nice piece there.

Was lucky enough to get it with original paper product sticker. Arhh the old Connie vs Tassie. This one is a Tasmanian Pattern, but there were a few styles some with/most without bevels. The Tassie pattern is a bit of an Aussie favourite, I have a Plumb (Aussie made) Tassie too. We made many of your patterns, & you guys made some of ours. Hytest (later name of Aussie Plumb) is one of my favourite makers, get one if you can.

Was lucky enough to get it with original paper product sticker. Arhh the old Connie vs Tassie. This one is a Tasmanian Pattern, but there were a few styles some with/most without bevels. The Tassie pattern is a bit of an Aussie favourite, I have a Plumb (Aussie made) Tassie too. We made many of your patterns, & you guys made some of ours. Hytest (later name of Aussie Plumb) is one of my favourite makers, get one if you can.

Dagnammit! I should have known by the rounded poll corners... Got to admit, the phantom bevels are what got me, and maybe the camera angle. Had I looked at your details and seen that you're an Aussie I might have made the connection. Best way to tell a Connie from a Tassie if unsure is to look at the bit profile. A Tassie is going to be much thicker in the cheeks.

Good looking axe, mate! I wish they were more common here in the US, but they're not and fetch a pretty penny. One is on my short list, that I can assure you of.

Speaking of Kelly's...yesterday was a good little score of old vintage metal from my local tip. I bring the occaisional lunch, soda's & sweets for the men bearing few teeef, in return they prevent hand forged iron going into the recycle bin. Its truly shocking what top condition vintage bits end up in the metal bin. Anyone know what -WAX 003- means on a Kelly splitting maul? This bit would of been painted red, its 5-1/4lbs....and I don't think its EVER been sharpened, but as it had a cracked handle, it was heading for the smelter.:rolleyes:1574218442008-1955177191.jpg Tell us to nic-off if i'm wrecking your cordwood thread. Like me you probably don't mind seeing old metal. Could not find any info on the Kelly -wax 003- execpt fornsome that sold on Ebay here from AU$72-157!!. Others are a Cylone forgings 4-1/2lb mattock & a nice Hytest miners pick. Don't have time to make hafts myself so I'll order some local made handles...have a few more to do too lol.

Split a quick rick of maple with the Plumb.

Been burning some of the cordwood challenge wood. I'd like to say it burns hotter. On a positive note, or negative depending on how you look at it, I've already forgot how much work it is. :)

Using the modern powersaws and hydraulic splitters takes much of the hard work out of producing firewood. But sometimes being by yourself with a simple hand tool and only the sound of what's around you without motors running is good for the soul. Something just happens when using a well cared for vintage ax between your hands that no power tool can do. Its hard to put in words, you just know it or don't. Sometimes less time with power tools and more time with simple proper hand tools like files, rasps, draw knives, chisels, adze, picks, mattocks is what's needed.

I really like the original handles on the Plumbs, their shape design makes a 4lb axe feel easy to use. DSW has a great ax there, looks never to be abused or used as a sledgehammer. The edge profile looks close to original, hardly any life removed from bit.

Man... One day off a week does not bode well for any chopping lately. I've got a 6' recently dropped Ash log on the ground that I've been saving for the Big Log Challenge, but haven't had the time or daylight to get it done.

Was hoping to start another small pile, but if not, no biggie.

I picked up that axe at an antique shop that I actually bought my last axes at. It's a big place,nobody there, last time I was asking the lady questions, she says the feller who rents that 'booth' is here as he likes to hang out, retired fella. Talked to him, picked up two hatchets and a light axe.

This time, I go on a Saturday, place is packed. Feller is there, think nothing of it, guy behind me asks him about one of his axes, then price, guys talkative, and negotiating is common so i don't think a thing of it. Daughter later mentions everybody seems to know each other. I'm checking out, mention to the lady how packed it is, she says it's 'Deal with the dealer day.'

People did know each other and that's why the guy was negotiating. I tell her i didn't do any dealing with my dealer, she says well he must really be glad you came. :)

Anywho, he's a Veteran, nice guy, and he was only asking $20 for that Plumb. So i think everyone did alright.

Yeah you did just fine. If he was asking $20 I wouldn't crunch him a cent, that ax will always be worth something, usually for that money you get a heavily used deteriorated piece of crusty metal that slightly resembles an ax. Hopefully after you give it a nice sharpening, maybe a light sand with some oil it will be that ax you just grab when heading off to the woodpile. Those old handles love a drink of oil.

Also having a few traps around town to source the old hand forged iron is the way to go. EBay is no fun. I'd give that ol feller your phone number & a bottle of rum, much better than spending money on an overpriced item on eBay.

Last day for 2019 Axe Cordwood Challenge. Today I completed the "Big Log" Mini-Challenge. Not sure if today is the cutoff, or the last day for qualification. Either way, I did it. The minimum diameter is 50 cm (19.68"); and I saved a 6' log that was 25" in diameter. Definitely the biggest log I ever attempted to buck with solely an axe. Didn't make my notches wide enough, which cost me more effort, but the log is now in two pieces. White Ash felled about 30 days ago.

tvSYb44.jpg

GLueFlX.jpg

@DSW — I have saved the images from your completion post and will submit them in an email with the details on my own, unless you have already done so. Did you do the Big Log Challenge too?

@DSW — I have saved the images from your completion post and will submit them in an email with the details on my own, unless you have already done so. Did you do the Big Log Challenge too?

Awesome work!

No I have not, I'm not even sure where I'd be submitting it to.

The poplar I fell was probably more than 20 but I'd just say no because I have no way to prove it.

This coming year there's a big son of a beech I'm gonna fall with a saw and work up with a saw but I'll be bucking a piece of it with the axe for next year.

Why does it end so early? So they can get everything finalized before the early 2020 guys?

Awesome work!

No I have not, I'm not even sure where I'd be submitting it to.

The poplar I fell was probably more than 20 but I'd just say no because I have no way to prove it.

This coming year there's a big son of a beech I'm gonna fall with a saw and work up with a saw but I'll be bucking a piece of it with the axe for next year.

Why does it end so early? So they can get everything finalized before the early 2020 guys?

Thanks, man!

I'll take your word for it, just direct me to the particular picture. I didn't throw a tape on the one I did either, but you can tell it is bigger than 20".

It's actually been extended this year, it used to run up from NYD to the 1st of September. Ben changed the rules to make it go until December. I'm betting he's cutting it before the holidays due to it being a busy time of year, plus I also know he's still a student and needs to get everything in order for the final editing of a video that complies everyone's effort. If you think about it, that's a fair amount of work in and of itself (if you've ever done a lot of video editing).

Latest posts

Back