201t leaks oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psmith0803

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience getting a 201t to not leak bar oil. My stihl dealer is telling me that it's 50/50 if they crack the case open and try and reseal it that it will seal, sometimes they make them worse.

They tell me it's common problem and to just live with it. I'm pretty grouchy to have spent that kind of money to have it leak like it does.

Some Stihl guy will be along soon. Just had this discussion and it's the best, next to a T540.:D

Not sure where the crack is. On our the two stroke vintage dirtbikes I had a leaking case at the tranny seam. I drained the tranny, washed the case with rubbing alcohol and sealed it with a Pro Seal silicone from the auto parts store. I then put a spotlight bulb on it overnight. It never leaked again. I bring the dead bikes back to life now I only have the house, garage and basement full of Husqvarna dirtbikes.

Think he meant split the case. Ask Brad he is up on Stihl 200 & 201s.

Anyone have experience getting a 201t to not leak bar oil. My stihl dealer is telling me that it's 50/50 if they crack the case open and try and reseal it that it will seal, sometimes they make them worse.

They tell me it's common problem and to just live with it. I'm pretty grouchy to have spent that kind of money to have it leak like it does.

It actually leaks due to the case halves not sealing correctly? I’d question that 50/50 chance they’d fix it, I’d tell them they’d have a 50/50 chance of me paying the bill :laugh:

I've had mine for a few months now and it has been stored a few times with more than half a tank of bar oil with no leaks. I just used it on some crepe myrtles this morning, I'll have to check it tomorrow to see if it's leaking.

Try to find the exact location of the bar oil leak. Set the saw up to rest on a couple of small boards with the bar oil tank full. Put a clean paper towel underneath. Wait a few hours. That should pinpoint the location of the leak. Work from there to seal it up. I doubt that you need to split the case. I have sealed a bunch of chain saw leaks this way.

Heck, one time I discovered that Echo had drilled a hole for a muffler bolt right into the bar oil tank of their best selling top-handle saw.

Latest posts

Back