ArboristSite.com Sponsors

2021 FORD RANGER TREMOR XLT OR 2022 NISSAN FRONTIER PRO-X 4X4 SMALL TRUCK

Franny K

Franny K

xyz
What’s the use of a large bed when you can tow a trailer.
Stopping distance? Going in reverse, just for starters.
The f150 does not have the choice of standard transmission and clutch. Does the new Ranger have a standard version? I looked at the Nissan a few years ago and the small pick up only was rated for 800 pounds.

The f150 calls for a weight distribution hitch over 5000 pounds of trailer, what is that number for the new Ranger?

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
The f150 does not have the choice of standard transmission and clutch. Does the new Ranger have a standard version? I looked at the Nissan a few years ago and the small pick up only was rated for 800 pounds.

The f150 calls for a weight distribution hitch over 5000 pounds of trailer, what is that number for the new Ranger?
Not sure. If there was a demand for a long bed on a compact pickup truck they would make one. Obviously there isn’t. Times change

Joel D'Angelo

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
Since you want to make an issue of it... They used to have 6 foot beds. I had two of them. I could just fit my tools and did a lot of work from both. A little cruk bed is insufficient for carpentry work. Trailers are good and fine but hauling them around everyday is a PITA.

Goinwheelin

Goinwheelin

Vintage Chainsaw Hipster
Since you want to make an issue of it... They used to have 6 foot beds. I had two of them. I could just fit my tools and did a lot of work from both. A little cruk bed is insufficient for carpentry work. Trailers are good and fine but hauling them around everyday is a PITA.
No issue just different opinions. What works for some doesn’t work for others. I drive a Ranger and it has a 6’ bed, used to be able to get a 7’ bed but only with the standard cab. Why they went to a 5’ bed is beyond me but it doesn’t seem like they have a problem selling them. #2 in sales behind the Tacoma last year which last I checked still offers a 6’ bed.

cheers

Harmon

Harmon

ArboristSite Member
Tried talking the wife into a new Ranger (for her, she drives a 1994) but she wasn't having it. 180k, has hit a moose once, spent a night in a ditch on its side, the dog ate all the seat belts, has a mysterious coolant leak I may never locate. I'll keep patching this one up, but I am curious.

Is the new ranger a mazda clone? I know they collaborate, and for the rest of the world they kept making rangers. the other thing is I saw a couple around Anchorage last year and they are a bit bigger than the ranger of old. In fact, I thought I was behind a 2020 F-150. More trail worthy I guess, and even with a 7 foot bed you aint gonna haul much with that suspension.

sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

ArboristSite Guru
I drive a 2019 Frontier Midnight edition, and can offer the following.

The 261hp 4.0 V6 has plenty of giddy up. Its rated to tow about 6700 lbs. and the bed is rated to haul about 1200 lbs. For a little truck its pretty decent. I tow a 5x10 trailer overloaded with Red Oak, Black Locust, Hickory, Rock Maple, etc. regularly and with the trailer and wood its often around 4k lbs. I don't realize its their even on the highway.

My truck is a Crew Cab, so it has 4 doors, and offers much more room for rear seat passengers (if you have kids). The compromise is my bed is only 5' long. The King Cab has a smaller cab, (really cant comfortably fit anyone other than little kids), and has a 6' bed. I wish I had a 6' bed, but I wouldn't want to give up the bigger cab.

I can't speak to the 2022 models or the new Rangers.

r black

STIHLAHUSQYLOVER
I drive a 2019 Frontier Midnight edition, and can offer the following.

The 261hp 4.0 V6 has plenty of giddy up. Its rated to tow about 6700 lbs. and the bed is rated to haul about 1200 lbs. For a little truck its pretty decent. I tow a 5x10 trailer overloaded with Red Oak, Black Locust, Hickory, Rock Maple, etc. regularly and with the trailer and wood its often around 4k lbs. I don't realize its their even on the highway.

My truck is a Crew Cab, so it has 4 doors, and offers much more room for rear seat passengers (if you have kids). The compromise is my bed is only 5' long. The King Cab has a smaller cab, (really cant comfortably fit anyone other than little kids), and has a 6' bed. I wish I had a 6' bed, but I wouldn't want to give up the bigger cab.

I can't speak to the 2022 models or the new Rangers.
yes i have also owned the 4.0 l frontiers not bad little trucks except for the timing chain issues ..the 2022 is new with a 3.8 v-6 class leading 310 hp and 9 speed trans ...

sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

ArboristSite Guru
yes i have also owned the 4.0 l frontiers not bad little trucks except for the timing chain issues ..the 2022 is new with a 3.8 v-6 class leading 310 hp and 9 speed trans ...
I was looking at them last night after my post. They look quite a bit different in styling. I see they still have 281 ft. lbs of torque. Same as the 4.0. I was hoping the tow capacity was higher, but that also appears the same.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak

I can't imagine comfortably pulling 6k with a Ranger.
Even in a 1/2 ton that's a decent load.

sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

ArboristSite Guru
The Rangers, Frontiers, Tacoma's, etc. of today aren't like they were 15-20 years ago. They are rated for similar loads that older half tons were. Newer half tons are often rated at 11-13k lb. tow loads.

Like everything in life, vehicles keep evolving. I agree though, they often lack the weight, brakes, frame, etc. to really handle those heavy loads. Engine HP isn't everything, especially with towing.

r black

STIHLAHUSQYLOVER
I was looking at them last night after my post. They look quite a bit different in styling. I see they still have 281 ft. lbs of torque. Same as the 4.0. I was hoping the tow capacity was higher, but that also appears the same.
towing 6750 lbs and load are the same yes ..the 9 speed trans will help..........
I can't imagine comfortably pulling 6k with a Ranger.
Even in a 1/2 ton that's a decent load.

rangers are 7500 towing max ranger has advantage with 10 speed trans and more torque half ton fords are now up to 13,500 +