2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for a couple cheap ones :laugh: .

Be sure to do price comparisons with longer tubes as changing out your seedling cart to work with the best priced LED lights may in the end be cheaper.

For instance I have eight $20 50 watt lights on an $80 shelf system. Because I have about 60 old worn Golden Coral trays I opted for an 18" wide shelf because a GC tray fits perfectly and three fit side by side in the 48" width. If it were not for already having the really nice trays from GC, I likley would have opted for sizing that would fit multiples of standard sized nursery flats that are 10" X 20".

The lights can easily out cost the shelf system used.

Jimmy Nardellos are popping
7A48758E-ABA4-4B3E-9A45-C971208818CD.jpeg

The wife loves petunias so one thing I do every year is hanging baskets for the house, a couple of large planters out front and a couple more on the back patio. These are the largest growing petunias you can get, commonly referred to as Tidal Wave. The growth and the flowers these suckers put out is prolific! One plant will fill a hanging basket and then some.
95B33D48-70CB-41C5-98B5-5F5C37B6B750.jpeg
6A82D698-458D-4BA2-A149-31EA1CFF2ED5.jpeg

Pictures from last year when I went overboard on them lol. This ain’t close to all of them I think I had 60 some plants
607145F9-3CDA-4C0E-BAAA-0C39DCF5910E.jpeg
C5C0DD5E-34D1-4407-841F-1064E4A87BF0.jpeg

You guys over on the west side of the state have it good for growing blueberries. Wife and I usually stop by Mossyrock on our way back from the coast for some. One year I decided to try and grow them here in the desert, did a bunch of reading, bought plants and acidic soil but they never took off. It’s something I want to revisit though now that I know a bit more.
Had an friend who tried unsuccefully to grow Blueberries in Bend...he quit once I sent him the acid requirements...Just buys them now, at least you won't have problems with fungus on your side but here's a OSU link : https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1304

Jimmy Nardellos are popping
View attachment 890681

The wife loves petunias so one thing I do every year is hanging baskets for the house, a couple of large planters out front and a couple more on the back patio. These are the largest growing petunias you can get, commonly referred to as Tidal Wave. The growth and the flowers these suckers put out is prolific! One plant will fill a hanging basket and then some.
View attachment 890682View attachment 890683
Pictures from last year when I went overboard on them lol. This ain’t close to all of them I think I had 60 some plants View attachment 890684View attachment 890685
Sold tons of the original wave petunias when they first came out in the early 90's. Easy wave was a good seller because of other colors available. Looks like there are several different types out there now. For some reason the top of my toolbox looks like yours. :laughing:
https://blog.parkseed.com/2017/02/22/petunia-wave/

Sold tons of the original wave petunias when they first came out in the early 90's. Easy wave was a good seller because of other colors available. Looks like there are several different types out there now. For some reason the top of my toolbox looks like yours. :laughing:
https://blog.parkseed.com/2017/02/22/petunia-wave/
I can never keep that toolbox clean. The top is a dumping ground for whatever I clear off the bench for the next project :laugh:

This is my second year growing petunias and silver seems to be the color that grows the best for the tidal wave variety. I couldn’t find any tidal wave at the local nurseries last year so I got lucky with that decision.

If you want to increase the CO2 in your green houses, all you got to do is mix a little cornmeal and sugar in a 55gal barrel, throw in a hand full of yeast and set back and let it work off for about 7 days. Now what you do with the byproduct of the corn sugar mixture is up to you.

Time to cut back the roster a bit. Took some plants to work and gave some to th co workers I like then sold the rest for $1 each lol. Made $15
8A02C9E6-A61A-4761-93C3-05012FC3683A.jpeg

moving all the peppers and chiles over to 2gal bags. Six Numex and 3 Nardello here.
FAA477A6-8576-43DB-B444-71632D3492A0.jpeg

Tonight I’ll do the tomatoes in 2gal bags then put two dozen petunias in 1 gal bags. All that’s left in the germination closet are the Hatch medium chiles and some more Nardellos and that about does it for this year.

I don't start seeds on the level you do, so I don't understand the bag thing. I understand transplanting into larger pots when the plants get larger. Yours seem tiny. And the bag, is that just your source of a larger pot? You remove the bag before planting and reuse them?
The bigger the pot the bigger the plant. If you look at the first picture all those plants germinated around the same time but the ones in bigger containers are larger. Also I have about 9-10 weeks before they go in the ground so they need a good place to hang out lol.

The bags can be reused, but I usually end up tossing them because they are cheap.

Back