2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 1 patch of white corn left (can I say that?) Last year I put up a dusk to dawn solar light in the middle of the patch. It worked as far out as the light would shine. You could tell because they didn't eat the corn in the lighted area. May look for a few more for this season. I like bottle rockets too.
some say we .... :rolleyes:o_O:laughing: need to be less white! ;)

from another thread on the subject:

that's sure cold jgg! ~ :cold: not that cold here, but 12/3f or so at my garden. flopped down hard my leeks and 1015 onions. but now, both well on way to recovery. actually hard to even think they have been in a recent freeze! :)

leeks, onions. few days after the freeze... now each area flourishing.
View attachment 892633View attachment 892634

I'm looking forward to when I can start to see that sight. :cool:

I feel like I should mention that I'm in Canada, so that -18 was Celsius. Still cold for us here but not as cold as -18 F.

PNW style Grey Digger Squirrel
93B46319-825E-4CB0-8E41-691FD9DD2072.jpeg

We haven't started any plants here. As a norm, I usually wont set anything that can be damaged by frost in the ground before May 15th. I like to start seeds in pots indoors around middle of March. This gives me about 8 weeks for the seeds to germinate and grow large enough for transplanting. For some folks, May 15th sounds late for planting, but experience has taught me that planting any earlier usually results in frost killed plants. I will plant row crops like sweet corn around the first of may. It takes the seeds about a week to sprout which gives me a little frost protection. If I had the ground ready, I would be planting taters now. Taters wont come up until the soil is warm enough and if they do get frost bit, they usually rebound. Plants like cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, spinach will tolerate some cold and frost. Where I live now, I dont have the room to plant a large garden so Its container pots sitting around the house, lining the drive way and anywhere else the wife can place them to make it very difficult to mow around.

View attachment 893112
When it comes to containers I’ll use whatever is at hand if needed. Lol. I try to give every seedling a chance and sometimes it’s those charity cases that end up being really good performers.
me, too... sometimes i have to improvise. sometimes i just scrounge, too. if it looks good. ;) got a swell seed pot kit off curb just other day. will get some pix of small stuff in my mobile nursery... drying out some big beef tomato seeds here...
P1010019.JPG
P1010020.JPG

Well, bought a bag of starter mix today and a few seed potatoes. Probably start next week planting a few pots in the green house tent thing of ma jiggey the wife had me set up on the back porch. She got another led grow light. Shes been buying big planter pots for the last month. I told her today I was cutting off her Amazon privileges'. Between all the UPS, Fedx and Postal trucks delivering, my asphalt drive is starting to fall apart. I cant even keep the cardboard boxes hauled off.

Picked up some raspberry starts a few weeks ago to add to my berry patch but it’s a bit too cold to put them in the ground yet. A few were struggling so I stuffed them all in some bags and put them under lights on the workbench. I’m hoping the one in the brown pot makes it.
8C3E1E75-4482-4FDF-B452-FA94EE0623E6.jpeg
5AC40959-A580-4699-A0F9-E226C77BD6FF.jpeg

Peppers are getting big. This was feb 27 I’ll measure again tonight and see how much growth the have gotten in a week. First pic is cayenne 2nd is reaper
F8AE0158-3274-4A52-935A-5A4DBEB92B31.jpeg
CA461E39-1769-487E-81C2-FFD5AF110D18.jpeg

Your raspberries ought to all make it. I like those bags and if it were for the fact that I have a few thousand nursery pots out in the wood I'd consider them.

Your peppers are looking good and are further along than mine. Mine were started on 2-1-2021 and at this point I'm taking them out on the back porch every day and bringing them in at night. My light shelving has been turned off for a week but if we get a cold spell back under the light they go. Today's high is supposed to be 50°F and tonight down to 32°F and tomorrow night too. I'll leave the peppers outside today but bring them in early before it gets below 40°F. Now that the tomatoes have been potted up to 4 inch pots there is no more moving them but the porch won't go below 45° anyway.

Here's our peppers, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. Mostly broccoli.

Seedlings peppers 3-6-2021 001.JPG

You raspberries ought to all make it. I like those bags and if it were for the fact that I have a few thousand nursery pots out in the wood I'd consider them.

Your peppers are looking good and are further along than mine. Mine were started on 2-1-2021 and at this point I'm taking them out on the back porch every day and bringing them in at night. My light shelving has been turned off for a week but if we get a cold spell back under the light they go. Today's high is supposed to be 50°F and tonight down to 32°F and tomorrow night too. I'll leave the peppers outside today but bring them in early before it gets below 40°F. Now that the tomatoes have been potted up to 4 inch pots there is no more moving them but the porch won't go below 45° anyway.

Here's our peppers, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. Mostly broccoli.

View attachment 893510
good pix there! ~ i can see the green thumb from here... lol

It's going to get down to 32°F so all of the transplants are back inside from the outdoor stand.

3 trays of peppers went under the LED's and they look eerie through the Mylar reflective sheet. It is amazing how much light doesn't reach our living space but instead is captured by the Mylar.

seedlings 3-6-2021 001.JPG

Thanks! We collect daffodils and have around 200 cultivars and hundreds of some of them. Spring is almost here!

Photo taken a few minutes ago.

View attachment 893522
awesome! :yes: i like daffodils... would like to have a large plot of them popping up each spring. got some bulbs yr before, but they din't do well. i have meant to look forther into it, re - bulb supplier... but i always seem to forget when time is right! :rolleyes: but having no problems with Texas bluebonnets up at the farm! omg... :)

thanks for pix.

It's going to get down to 32°F so all of the transplants are back inside from the outdoor stand.

3 trays of peppers went under the LED's and they look eerie through the Mylar reflective sheet. It is amazing how much light doesn't reach our living space but instead is captured by the Mylar.

View attachment 893583
wow - looks great... even better than Bonnie! ;)

Back