2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday is the day these go in the ground for the most part. Some even have fruit on them already
2746CD1D-C6A5-42C6-B73A-4D477640D40E.jpeg
37B78439-97A2-45ED-B3B0-9C1557813885.jpeg
438C100D-02D2-4B5D-B30C-7BADBA30A624.jpeg

They had some super hot peppers at the local nursery so I grabbed a Ghost pepper and a Trinidad scorpion just for funzies. It’s great to see these for sale locally but unfortunately I think a lot of people buy them not realizing how long it takes for them to mature and produce fruit and they may be disappointed when September comes and they only have a handful of peppers to show for it.
2B0D2FF3-E6A0-4FE9-BFD0-811D83AFB76B.jpeg
812CD63B-8AFF-422A-845F-35CC9C509EB7.jpeg

warmed up enough here to get the tiller out of hibernation for another year. taters are looking kind of peaked in the cellar with eyes as long as my arm ! i guess when planting them i wont need to drop them in the hole just lower them in with supplied handle? lol

We are just barely getting what we need here. Maybe a half inch tonite but that won't go to far.
brother farms.. he said once,,when it was warmoutside, and corn was growing,,it took about a inch a day to supply the corn.....so according to that,,we are 8 inches of ground moisture short now...………….

warmed up enough here to get the tiller out of hibernation for another year. taters are looking kind of peaked in the cellar with eyes as long as my arm ! i guess when planting them i wont need to drop them in the hole just lower them in with supplied handle? lol
Rototilling was on my list today. Maters and peppers plants are coming Monday.
20210428_154510_001.jpg

one pull on the starter rope after a shot of fresh gas in the spark plug /cylinder! the husky tiller lives again and tilled the raspberry/green bean plot as well as the squash/cukes garden.... tater garden Saturday, if the ole girl will start/run?! lol feels great to get the fingers back into the soil again! healthy eating everyone.

Lookin good guys! --- We had a couple warm days,---now back to cold wind again. Last couple of days we got about 3/4" of rain, AND no standing water, so it all soaked in without any runoff.
They say we are in the moderate drought area here----kinda dry but look ok for now. I'm sure the wind will sap the 3/4" out of the ground fast and it's back to square one!
Fruit trees still blooming and I did see a few peaches starting to form on the higher branches, so we see IF they make anything or not. No apple or pear fruit set yet as they are blooming later.
A few more seeds coming up in the hotbed today. Really slow coming this year for some reason. I do have some cabbage plants in there that are about ready to go in the rows, so that is good.
Our potatoes are just peaking thru the ground now,----look good and when they get 6" or so I will start pushing dirt up around them. Start early building big mounds and its easier to do that way.
Might fill the last partial potato row with some basement potatoes just for the heck of it. I have kept them de-sprouted all winter and some of them now have inch long sprouts again, so they just right.
Its best to remove long sprouts before planting them. The long sprouts sunburn and really never make very good plants, so we always remove them and let them start fresh.
Onions look good so far, been cultivating them and next step is to hoe between the plants. THAT is the time consuming job! lol! I made a couple hoe's that are light and narrow just for onion use.

I tend to treat my onions the same as I do my taters. Onions need lots of nitrogen to grow, but once they start to bulb they also need the PK to grow big. I guess it really depends on a persons soil. With a high organic soil, a person can get by pretty good with just the nitrogen applications as the organic material will contain all the P and K the onions need. If the soil doesnt have it and you dont add it, it wont get there by itself. I have also been know to apply plain elemental sulfur. One lb of elemental sulfur will make 3 lbs of SO4, so it doesnt take much. It is also fairly slow to convert so it doesnt effect the soil Ph all that much. Of course I am also adding a lot of calcium lime every year anyways. I did kind of learn my lesson about adding micronutrients by itself. It takes such a small amount of micronutrients, its hard to not over apply them.
i tend to follow these guy's guidelines. they seem to have a handle on onions... but don't go with all of it. just did a lite side dress to them 131313. they continue to get bigger. :) i have added some lime in the past to beds.

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/

so much for a good jump start on the garden. snow, colder nights than usual for April but the much needed liquid sun shine for a drought stricken summer ahead is appreciated.
snow don't help my garden down here in grow zone 9! lol... i got tomatoes now egg sized. onion bulbs still bigger than them... :laugh:

Lookin good guys! --- We had a couple warm days,---now back to cold wind again. Last couple of days we got about 3/4" of rain, AND no standing water, so it all soaked in without any runoff.
They say we are in the moderate drought area here----kinda dry but look ok for now. I'm sure the wind will sap the 3/4" out of the ground fast and it's back to square one!
Fruit trees still blooming and I did see a few peaches starting to form on the higher branches, so we see IF they make anything or not. No apple or pear fruit set yet as they are blooming later.
A few more seeds coming up in the hotbed today. Really slow coming this year for some reason. I do have some cabbage plants in there that are about ready to go in the rows, so that is good.
Our potatoes are just peaking thru the ground now,----look good and when they get 6" or so I will start pushing dirt up around them. Start early building big mounds and its easier to do that way.
Might fill the last partial potato row with some basement potatoes just for the heck of it. I have kept them de-sprouted all winter and some of them now have inch long sprouts again, so they just right.
Its best to remove long sprouts before planting them. The long sprouts sunburn and really never make very good plants, so we always remove them and let them start fresh.
Onions look good so far, been cultivating them and next step is to hoe between the plants. THAT is the time consuming job! lol! I made a couple hoe's that are light and narrow just for onion use.
put in a couple peach trees last season. more of less for grins, with fingers x'd! 2, but i call it my peach orchard! :) :yes:

we wondered if by chance we mite see any fruit appear this year. to our surprise we have over 2 dozen on one variety. the other is still leafing... we remain optimistic
P1010026.JPG

tomaoto field doing well. couple cut down like felling trees! :( but, potted into water and now rooting. added collars to half, doing quite well. beans up and looking like a new bean patch. brusse sprout experiment on track. onions bulbing. cuke seeds potted and need to get into soil. maybe today. basil to transplant to pots. waiting on some pepper seeds. first try banana nada. old seeds, but some older germinated just fine. the cukes. so it goes...

i tend to follow these guy's guidelines. they seem to have a handle on onions... but don't go with all of it. just did a lite side dress to them 131313. they continue to get bigger. :) i have added some lime in the past to beds.

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/
I am sure as many onions as they grow, they have things pretty well figured out. As I said in my post, a lot depends on the soil in the area you are growing in. I like the high PK fertilizers because my soil is naturally deficient in Phosphorous and Potassium. Its been a while since I have looked at a soil test, but I used to take lots of samples back when I had my seeding business. If my memory serves me, I believe the P levels in my soils average around 8PPM, hence the high phos recommendations. K is only present as weathered Mica and not easily taken up thru the plant roots. Calcium recommendations for my area are over 2000lbs per acre. The very best calcium levels I have seen in any soil test, in my area, needed over 1500lbs per acre and this was on a soil that had repetitive lime applications yearly. Magnesium levels are also very low so the lime of choice is dolomite. The magnesium is 1.6 time more effective at raising ,ph levels than calcium carbonate and is the second most required nutrient, calcium being the most important for a fertile soil. One thing to always remember when it comes to growing crops and applying fertilizer is this, if the books say the soil needs this or that, and the crops says they needs something else, you go with what the crops say.

snow don't help my garden down here in grow zone 9! lol... i got tomatoes now egg sized. onion bulbs still bigger than them... :laugh:
lol for sure! if it weren't for the bad habit of needing to eat once in a while i would like to see snow year around! as it is gardening is a good past time while the snow is on the way for another winter season and lessening the food bill....

Back