2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couple got nipped, so added collars... fairing well. planted up two in pots. upper RH corner
P1010001.JPG
P1010008.JPG

View attachment 904824 Biquinho yellow on the left and Jays peach ghost scorpion on the right. I normally don’t grow super hots but my brother in law started a dozen and they all took off so I got one from him to try and grow.
your peppers look great S/b... think u are ahead of me in that dept! lol... noted one of my peppers had shown up. banana type think it is...
P1010014.JPG

I am sure as many onions as they grow, they have things pretty well figured out. As I said in my post, a lot depends on the soil in the area you are growing in. I like the high PK fertilizers because my soil is naturally deficient in Phosphorous and Potassium. Its been a while since I have looked at a soil test, but I used to take lots of samples back when I had my seeding business. If my memory serves me, I believe the P levels in my soils average around 8PPM, hence the high phos recommendations. K is only present as weathered Mica and not easily taken up thru the plant roots. Calcium recommendations for my area are over 2000lbs per acre. The very best calcium levels I have seen in any soil test, in my area, needed over 1500lbs per acre and this was on a soil that had repetitive lime applications yearly. Magnesium levels are also very low so the lime of choice is dolomite. The magnesium is 1.6 time more effective at raising ,ph levels than calcium carbonate and is the second most required nutrient, calcium being the most important for a fertile soil. One thing to always remember when it comes to growing crops and applying fertilizer is this, if the books say the soil needs this or that, and the crops says they needs something else, you go with what the crops say.
i would like to do a soil test on my garden. the ag dept over at Texas A&M offers the service. but last check it was $35! :crazy: and that buys a lot of :givebeer:! i could do a DIY, but just havent. i loose a garden gig from time to time! Mother Nature is not always predictable. but overall, whatever the actual acidity of my soils are... good enuff for my needs. crop rotation is important in my garden planning. i have several hi % sacks of N, P & K. like 0-46-0... i use mostly to amp root crops. but not doing potatoes much these days. wonder if i will ever use up that 40# sack on N! ;)

yesterday; onions still doing well... guess they like the soil. always get more than i can eat... 1015's... like apples! :)
P1010023.JPG

the QB is out in Calif close to the coast... Mother's Day thing with D and the g/ks... when they were last here on their coast to coast move/relocation... job related... they got some seeds. mostly lima beans as they were done. she said the littlest is so proud of his lima bean plants... bit cooler out there. was 55 yesterday morning... made me smile! :)
1620574264860.png

i would like to do a soil test on my garden. the ag dept over at Texas A&M offers the service. but last check it was $35! :crazy: and that buys a lot of :givebeer:! i could do a DIY, but just havent. i loose a garden gig from time to time! Mother Nature is not always predictable. but overall, whatever the actual acidity of my soils are... good enuff for my needs. crop rotation is important in my garden planning. i have several hi % sacks of N, P & K. like 0-46-0... i use mostly to amp root crops. but not doing potatoes much these days. wonder if i will ever use up that 40# sack on N! ;)
Those home soil test are not very accurate. They only check for water solubile nutrients. Plant root exudate acids and can take up much more nutrients than your soil test shows to be available. Tons of misleading info about soil test reports from different soil testing companies. There are so may different acids used to determine nutrient levels and fertilization models that no two companies will give the same recommendations for the same soil sample. Best to pick a soil testing company and stick with it and watch the actual results in your field. Your field results wont lie. The biggest detriment to your soil fertility is the mining of the soil thru harvest. The larger the harvest the more nutrients that have to be replaced. The addition of your compost replaces nutrients lost thru harvest. Composted materials are recycled nutrients that are easily absorded by the plants. That 0-46-0 high phosphorous fertilizer will only stay available to your plants for about 2 to 4 weeks and will become totally locked up in the soil profile in as little as 8 weeks.

your peppers look great S/b... think u are ahead of me in that dept! lol... noted one of my peppers had shown up. banana type think it is...
View attachment 905889
9AFB059E-5277-4B05-9EED-6B5B34F46054.jpeg
9AFB059E-5277-4B05-9EED-6B5B34F46054.jpeg
E706FB1B-7EC6-4A33-8EDE-A9A96047A013.jpeg

I started my peppers in February against everybody’s advice, so bored and want to grow stuff. I lost about a dozen which wasn’t too bad, tomatoes, did the same and lost about the same. I don’t have the growing season you do down south, I miss living and growing in Victoria TX. These are Santo Domingo and Kalugurista peppers that I’m growing in pots.

4 kinds of potatoes, about 5 or 6 varieties of hard beans, green and yellow beans, tomatoes, peppers, spinach and other salady things, oregano, thyme, peas,...and several others

oh ya, radishes coming up along with beans, corn, and other stuff

onions, tarragon, parsley, squash, carrots, parsnip and other stuff too

some in the greenhouse and some outside. Gotta wait till the end of the month to plant the rest of outside. Greenhouse just about planted. Yay! Almost lost the cucumbers a week ago in the greenhouse with frosts, but they are recovering nicely.

planting small batches of each for variety and to get some seed hopefully. Almost all old varieties of everything. Some of the little gardening seed packs are 25 years old. Using them and getting germination. Three kinds of pepper plant seed we had laying around for about 20-25 years showed better than 50% germination. Cool. Some of the herb seeds are about the same vintage. Wifey kept pulling seed out of her ... hat.

my hands smell like dirt. Aaahh..Awesome!

Tatoes, onions and cabbage so far.--- and rhubarb! Have radishes ready and not much else is growing. Seeds are not sprouting very good this year. Have replanted twice and still nothing on some of the stuff. Next time it dries out, tomato plants go in and all remaining seeds as well.----last ditch attempt for this year!

Attachments

• DSCN0226.JPG
    DSCN0226.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0225.JPG
    DSCN0225.JPG
  • DSCN0227.JPG
    DSCN0227.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0200.JPG
    DSCN0200.JPG
cilantro finally bolted. got one sprig left from pot of 3. hasn't bolted yet, but i can see it wants to. don't need any more coriander seeds... but mite let these seed up...
View attachment 905905
caught a cooking show other nite. chef said cilantro flowers very tasty and nice. so, since i had one bolting, thot i'd taste one. yum! so added to some medallions last nite if fried up.
1621437266189.png
P1010012.JPG

Latest posts

Back