2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 905947View attachment 905947View attachment 905948
I started my peppers in February against everybody’s advice, so bored and want to grow stuff. I lost about a dozen which wasn’t too bad, tomatoes, did the same and lost about the same. I don’t have the growing season you do down south, I miss living and growing in Victoria TX. These are Santo Domingo and Kalugurista peppers that I’m growing in pots.
good pix/plants. one of my mobile nursery potted seed potss i thot only had one pepper. i see now have 6 or so. but not sure if they are bananas or sweet CA bells. guess time will tell... lol. :cool:

yesterday; onions still doing well... guess they like the soil. always get more than i can eat... 1015's... like apples! :)
View attachment 905900
ran my finger around base of my 015's yesterday. 3rd time. relieve them of the side soil. helps bulbing. even my smaller stalks bulbing nicely. thinking to use them with some french cooking.... soon!

pearl onions

View attachment 905955Wife started globe basil in a milk jug in the house and this is after she transplanted. Her stuff looks so much better than mine.
looking good! wondering how you use basil. many ways, i know... but i will have more plants than usual soon and wondering how another gardener uses them as appears you will have many, too....

I did carrot and Parsnip in a half wine cask with a few onion cause I read in an old book that the onion would keep carrot pest away. Have no idea as I have not ever had luck growing the carrot and parsnip.View attachment 905956
0-20-0 will help those carrots! carrots do quite well down here in a fall garden...
1621437914683.png

I never had any pests on parsnips or carrots here but what I do have this year is a problem with the seed coming up! --- I am thinking soil insects attacking the seed. Need a good soil insecticide this year as nothing winter killed in the ground.
let us know what you discover. only time i have probs with seeds coming up if the germ has died due to age. but i have grown limas, for example... from seeds kept over 20 years! :yes:

of course... probs once plants get under way?... lol ;) always something...

Finally after almost 2 weeks we got stuff in the ground. 150 maters,72 cabbage plants and almost 800 peppers.
View attachment 907005View attachment 907006View attachment 907009
one heck of a 'garden'! more like a truck farm. lol :) wondering in the pix with red/white stack... what is growing to the R of you?
we have a very popular open air market close to downtown. even got some tv coverage other day. large facility. many numerous individual vendors. always fun to visit. lots of truck farmers selling wares, etc. es bien a vecces... si Usted habla espanol! ;)

some in the greenhouse and some outside. Gotta wait till the end of the month to plant the rest of outside. Greenhouse just about planted. Yay! Almost lost the cucumbers a week ago in the greenhouse with frosts, but they are recovering nicely. Wifey kept pulling seed out of her ... hat. my hands smell like dirt. Aaahh..Awesome!
good to hear! have a soldier cucumber plant is my bet... showed up and doing quite well in the side of one of my compost bins... flowering ~

Tatoes, onions and cabbage so far.--- and rhubarb! Have radishes ready and not much else is growing. Seeds are not sprouting very good this year. Have replanted twice and still nothing on some of the stuff. Next time it dries out, tomato plants go in and all remaining seeds as well.----last ditch attempt for this year!
wish i could grow it. results not good in past. ur pix look great! i am quite fond of stewed rhubarb! maybe i should try it again... we finally got it down for the English Peas... dismal, then prolific... yep! will try some this fall... working on my brussels experiment... follerin' some tips off this thread...

Well..., -3C overnight.

had everything covered in the greenhouse except cucumbers, they are climbing the hog panel and I don't have a protection system sorted yet. I put a tiny heater in there and had a good fan going lightly so I think everything is ok. Things are just starting to take hold and grow! Got another cold night coming and then ok for a while. We can have a killing frost virtually any month of the year here, but mostly unlikely by the second week in june up to about the second week of august.

up at 2am making sure the hoses didn't freeze up. I caught it just in time and got the water trickling to clear the ice. Then at 3:30 wifey started misting the hascap bushes that are fully in flower and show potential for the best little crop we have ever had. We'll know if we lost the flowers sometime soon today. There's about a dozen or so bushes that have just become mature and fruitful over the past couple of years. I hope the blossoms survived..

no rain yet. Like almost none at all, maybe a few mm which blows away in a light breeze, never mind the frequent prairie gales we get. We need a rain very soon or the grass won't grow and there will be no hay. It's happened before. I let about 80 acres of hayland "rest" last year. I hope that wasn't a mistake. I like to skip a season from time to time to build thatch. The snow lays it down flat and makes a good cover of decomposing material.

anyway, happy growing all. I'll be up early again tomorrow.

:crazy2:

wish i could grow it. resullts not good in past. ur pix look great! i am quite fond of stewed rhubarb! maybe i should try it again... we finally got it down for the English Peas... dismal, then prolific... yep! will try some this fall... working on my brussels experiment... follerin' some tips off this thread...
Huh. Rhubarb grows like a weed here if you let it. Funny how different climates are. Sometimes it's not funny at all.

one heck of a 'garden'! more like a truck farm. lol :) wondering in the pix with red/white stack... what is growing to the R of you?
we have a very popular open air market close to downtown. even got some tv coverage other day. large facility. many numerous individual vendors. always fun to visit. lots of truck farmers selling wares, etc. es bien a vecces... si Usted habla espanol! ;)
I'm guessing the green stuff. That is winter wheat. Planted as a cover crop but looked so good I decided to let it grow and combine it. I won't get much wheat but plenty of straw to bale and sell.

The hascaps survived 3 cold nights. We misted them a few times each morning and they are fine. Pretty happy about that.

the pasture fescue is turning brown.The grass is getting crunchy. ****.

now planning on selling some steers early, like right away. That will be costly.

and the soldier... prob a grocery seed. popped up in compost... cuke is my guess

View attachment 908621
I planted a few bean seeds out of a bag of "soup mix" in the house this winter. They grew and produced seed which are now growing in the greenhouse. Pintos, some kind of white bean, and another bean that's growing. The lima grew into a monster in the house, but alas my soil was wrong and went septic for some reason. The seeds it produced were probably not mature, as they haven't germinated yet. Oh well, for the most part the soup mix seeds are a success. It was an organic soup mix, which may have helped, idk?

We have some volunteer spinach and a yellow bean in the greenhouse. I am planning on taking a whole bunch of seed off this year, hopefully. The long season in the greenhouse should help with that. Volunteer parsnip from root in the greenhouse should produce seed this year.

dirt, air, water, sun, ... seeds .
The five genuine resources. governments/royals/evil, anti nature bastards around the world have taken the right to most of the genuine resources of life away from the people. Anti nature, anti God evil bastards.

Latest posts

Back