2021 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I;m getting fed up. Blasted deer keep eating everything as soon as its planted. Birds are plucking the seeds out of the ground before it even comes up. My garden is a mess. I have loss two planting of Lottie beans, Seeds my grandmother saved when the government moved them off their farm in 1934. We planted the last 25 seeds in pots on the porch in hopes of at least getting some seed. Altho I did find a new source of the beans, it seems my grandmother had given some seeds to my other grandmothers sisterinlaw and my uncle has been growing them for over 50 years. He has about a gallon of the seeds saved in his freezer. He offered some up, but I am not going to replant them in the garden this year. He also gave me some of the old timey white field corn, dont know the name of it, but they used to grow it for cornmeal. Stalks grow 12ft high and the ears are over a foot long. I had lost that seed to because of the deer. I have 5 short rows up now so It should produce enough corn for meal this year as well as seed for the future. I cant shoot the deer here because of all the houses, but I am thinking about a crossbow in the very near future.

There is already a street light on my garden. My corn is now planted on my sons property, inside a wove wire fence with a secondary electric fence and two large dogs that keep the deer ran off. My old garden spot at my old house site I could count a dozen deer around the garden every night. I fenced the garden in and strung cord criss crossing from side to side of the rows and hung strips of flagging tape. The tape would wave in the slightest breeze and kept deer and birds scared away. Didnt do much for rabbits tho.

I;m getting fed up. Blasted deer keep eating everything as soon as its planted. Birds are plucking the seeds out of the ground before it even comes up. My garden is a mess. I have loss two planting of Lottie beans, Seeds my grandmother saved when the government moved them off their farm in 1934. We planted the last 25 seeds in pots on the porch in hopes of at least getting some seed. Altho I did find a new source of the beans, it seems my grandmother had given some seeds to my other grandmothers sisterinlaw and my uncle has been growing them for over 50 years. He has about a gallon of the seeds saved in his freezer. He offered some up, but I am not going to replant them in the garden this year. He also gave me some of the old timey white field corn, dont know the name of it, but they used to grow it for cornmeal. Stalks grow 12ft high and the ears are over a foot long. I had lost that seed to because of the deer. I have 5 short rows up now so It should produce enough corn for meal this year as well as seed for the future. I cant shoot the deer here because of all the houses, but I am thinking about a crossbow in the very near future.
hope you can sort all that out soon, ms -

@muddstopper. Try a radio or some solar dusk to dawn lights in and arou d your corn. Seemed to help me last year.
some in our areas out along the county line have had to resort to tall, very tall garden fences to keep the deer out ~ a net should keep pesky birds off the garden, too. desperate times call for desperate measures at times... now then, hop u don't have any moles or gophers..... :surprised3:

My garden is a mess. I have loss two planting of Lottie beans, Seeds my grandmother saved when the government moved them off their farm in 1934. We planted the last 25 seeds in pots on the porch in hopes of at least getting some seed. Altho I did find a new source of the beans, it seems my grandmother had given some seeds to my other grandmothers sisterinlaw and my uncle has been growing them for over 50 years. He has about a gallon of the seeds saved in his freezer. He offered some up, but I am not going to replant them in the garden this year.
speaking of seeds... just started couple days ago. well, when i noticed it. using computer and strange noises... :wtf:.... then again. huh!? look about, nada!... day later caught on... a near on bushel, well maybe close... of bluebonnets seeds i had harvested few weeks back. towel over bag. plenty left in grocery paper bag... seed pods splitting and spitting out the seeds. they fly with a vengence... then hit bag wall. ie, the strange noises... lol.

1623728817548.png
1623728846796.png
1623728857177.png
1623728885325.png

todays pix. tatoes, all 10.5 rows 230 feet long.
Tomatoes are all sizes from blooming down to just planted and the later ones might not make it,---time will tell. I had extra plants in pots and I hate to waste plants! lol!
Onions bulbing, ---- they need to get a move on it because they only have til the last day of July when they get harvested.
cucumbers are about to hit the ground running, still gotta put up the other 3 panels for them to run up over. Panels help keep them off the ground and makes them a little easier to pick.
Most of the cabbage is doing good.
beans are so, so and I will do a second planting of them to spread out the harvest a bit.
Did finally get the anti-bird nets over most of the cherry tree last night! THAT is always a fun job! ---- Might have a few pie cherries this year IF I can keep the damn birds out til they get ripe!

Attachments

• DSCN0289.JPG
    DSCN0289.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0287.JPG
    DSCN0287.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0286.JPG
    DSCN0286.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Are y'all having issues with nearly EVERYTHING wanting to flower early?

There's a plum tree in our yard that put on new leaf growth two weeks ago, despite the fact that it already set fruit.

Deadheading the summer veggies isn't sending them back to growth mode. We're gonna make a brew and feed them to see if a shot of nutes will confuse them out of flower.

Cucumber beetles and earwigs are eating into things I havent seen them eat before. They're only looking for water. Too much drought, shifting temperatures, and virtually nonstop wind for over 50 days.

2021 is a different year....

not crispy dry, but curled right on up there. so gave them some extra care that day and was a bit impressed with their recovery. guess they had gone into a survival mode... seem to have appreciated getting the water i doted on them...

full recovery
P1010013.JPG

not crispy dry, but curled right on up there. so gave them some extra care that day and was a bit impressed with their recovery. guess they had gone into a survival mode... seem to have appreciated getting the water i doted on them...

full recovery
View attachment 912904
The black pony packs generate a lot of heat on the roots when exposed to direct sun. Maybe wrap the containers in foil to reflect the sun ?

The black pony packs generate a lot of heat on the roots when exposed to direct sun. Maybe wrap the containers in foil to reflect the sun ?
hi 55chv... thanks for the idea. good one. i thot the one sets condition a bit strange as had several more and none of them showed stress signs. maybe that one spot had over heated...

hi 55chv... thanks for the idea. good one. i thot the one sets condition a bit strange as had several more and none of them showed stress signs. maybe that one spot had over heated...
We're due for some high Temps today, gonna get out and do an extra round of watering to keep things running! How's the Temps in your part of Texas today?

We're due for some high Temps today, gonna get out and do an extra round of watering to keep things running! How's the Temps in your part of Texas today?
how about - hot!- ? lol

in shop other day... in and out, so OH door open and a/c not on. only fan. it was ok though...
i averaged the therms for 99ish... eh?
P1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010012.JPG

had car mats out of car other day. washed off couple then set out to dry. shade line to sun/ then sun. near where i was working on car

couple hours later
zzzzxhg.jpg
2 days later -
P1010018.JPG

extra watering good idea, been doing that. and also have shades over cukes and one dill... high noon sun bit brutal these days of late. seems to be doing good... we (finally) counted 5 new baby cukes setting yesterday. 'bout 1/2" long.... :rock:

had car mats out of car other day. washed off couple then set out to dry. shade line to sun/ then sun. near where i was working on car

couple hours later
View attachment 912913
2 days later -
View attachment 912912

extra watering good idea, been doing that. and also have shades over cukes and one dill... high noon sun bit brutal these days of late
I have friends that moved to Yuma, they literally live inside this time of year! 117 f when I talked to them day before yesterday!

I have friends that moved to Yuma, they literally live inside this time of year! 117 f when I talked to them day before yesterday!
i got a bunch a neighbors here do the same... i can assure there are no neighbors outside working all day in this stuff. ... well, cept one many! :cool: i tell folks, its just nbd - how can i run a working cattle ranch, do chores, etc... if i cannot mow my own lawn in the middle of the day? shade counts, of course... and my tall pines help a lot. still got some open areas, too. wide brim hat helps. and after 4ish a cool :givebeer: also! lol

saw on tv weather news past 2 days in Phoenix...115f!!!

well they don't have to mow their lawns... all got rocks for grass or solid concrete, painted green. ;)

1623944091706.png

There is already a street light on my garden. My corn is now planted on my sons property, inside a wove wire fence with a secondary electric fence and two large dogs that keep the deer ran off. My old garden spot at my old house site I could count a dozen deer around the garden every night. I fenced the garden in and strung cord criss crossing from side to side of the rows and hung strips of flagging tape. The tape would wave in the slightest breeze and kept deer and birds scared away. Didnt do much for rabbits tho.
My wife used an old Billy big mouth bass that was set for motion detection to scare off the deer, worked quite well till the rubber started to fall apart. Every once in a while, we would hear him singing " Take me to the river ", and we knew there was an un wanted guest in the garden!

Back