2100 cd vs 395xp for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Steve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Alright guys...I gotta make a decision. I have too many muscle saws and need to prune the fleet. 2100CD (2ea) vs. 395xp. I want to keep one of them for milling. After the pruning I"ll still have a 288xp, a 372xp, and a handful of smaller saws.
I'm milling spruce less than 24" in diameter and white birch less than 16" width.

24/16" is pretty small in my books ...So the 395xp would have no problems at all.
Anything under 36"ish I use the 395, any thing up too 70"ish I go for the twin 2100..

I'd go with the 395. Should have considerably better parts support. The 2100s should do you pretty well when you "prune" them too.

Some 10 years ago I milled for a day with a mates 3120 which has a manual oiler that can deliver a lot of extra ol. We decided to try without an aux oiler and within minutes of using the manual oiler I noticed most of that extra oil was just being flung off at the nose end of the bar. The following morning we made an aux oiler and didn't bother with the manual oiler after that.

My 076 also has a manual oiler and the first time I milled with it used it for about 30s before giving up and just upped the oil flow on the aux oiler. The point where the chain starts to straighten up after going around the bar nose is a better location to deliver oil with minimal loss before it enters the cut.

Manual oilers are also in a poor position for milling as they require a hand on the saw throttle handle. One of the best ergonomic things you can do with regards milling is to use a remote throttle as this reduces the width that your arms are spread apart while milling. This then allows you arms to be closer together while milling so you can lean on the mill with your arms straight almost eliminating arm/shoulder aches and pains.

IMG_1615.PNG heres a question for you. did the 2100cd ever have an automatic oiler? or am i missing something?

View attachment 635038 heres a question for you. did the 2100cd ever have an automatic oiler? or am i missing something?

Yes the 2100CD has both. The manual supplemental pump puts out so much extra oil you have to be
careful not to overuse it. As BobL points out, an AUX oil reservoir will add bar oil at a better location: the
bar end.

My 2100 is a 1983 model, which I have rebuilt and runs great.

Latest posts

Back