2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning fellas. Man I had a 266 once, regreted selling it. I like that. Muscle memory! RandyMac. Message me or text me Amigo. 707-321-8062

Well here is a thread I have not seen for some time spring back to life. G'day Norm ,long time no see, good to see people still read back through these threads. The old 2100's, there still about here in Oz, they are making a comeback in the racing arena. Some fine examples being built n raced and still some old girls competing. I can still remember my days falling with that saw.... Has that big Redwood near you got any bigger ? hahah. Before I die im gonna get over to the states and see them for myself.

How’s the 394/395 compare to the 2100/2101?

I thought my 395 was really close to the 2100?

How’s the 312o compare? Anybody port one of these?

How’s the 394/395 compare to the 2100/2101?

I thought my 395 was really close to the 2100?

How’s the 312o compare? Anybody port one of these?
I have a 395, 3120 and 2101. And the 2101 still comes out on every job. 395 is the smoothest nicest to run all day. In big wood the 2101 has a small edge in torque, the manual overuse oiler is a sweet feature on the 2101. It's still less to pack then a 3120. I keep the 3120 with a 50 inch bar handy for big stumps and logs. So the 2101 for me is like an in between. But the 395 or 394 will do anything mentioned and more. Don't sell a 394 or 5 to buy a 2100. But a 2100 is a great work saw. It a guy has a 2100 and not a 394 or 395. Keep the 2100. The 2100 is to heavy to pack falling timber, and the 395 would shine there.

Well here is a thread I have not seen for some time spring back to life. G'day Norm ,long time no see, good to see people still read back through these threads. The old 2100's, there still about here in Oz, they are making a comeback in the racing arena. Some fine examples being built n raced and still some old girls competing. I can still remember my days falling with that saw.... Has that big Redwood near you got any bigger ? hahah. Before I die im gonna get over to the states and see them for myself.

Some American muscle in Wellington, New Zealand. What a great saw to find in the weekend. Have got a 2 minute video but it is too big to post -err. It is an A11 sp125. I would think that it has done some work in its time. The piston and bore look clean through the exhaust port. There is a slight detectable movement in the sprocket side main bearing. The piston has 1-2 mm of play a bottom dead centre (mainly turning it in the bore). It reads 110 psi on the compression gauge (other Macs I manage to reach 130- 150 on the same gauge cold). All said, it fires up well, idles and eats wood as good as any of my Mac 850's. No obvious faults to hear when running- strong and loud. I am right in saying this is one of the the top American/world muscle saws?? Happy to comments on the condition etc

Attachments

• IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 24
It's a period thing as to when you were loggin'. In the middle 70's onward when I started working on loggin' shows, it was Stihl and Huky at first, then mostly Husky. Before me it was MAC & the big Homelites.

The only MACs I ever touched were some crummy ones on the landings that were just there by default and nearly worn out. The older loggers I knew were quite happy to default to Stihl & Husky. It wasn't like you had an older set of fallers & buckers clinging to their precious MACs and Homelites....those saws got retired.

It's a period thing as to when you were loggin'. In the middle 70's onward when I started working on loggin' shows, it was Stihl and Huky at first, then mostly Husky. Before me it was MAC & the big Homelites.

The only MACs I ever touched were some crummy ones on the landings that were just there by default and nearly worn out. The older loggers I knew were quite happy to default to Stihl & Husky. It wasn't like you had an older set of fallers & buckers clinging to their precious MACs and Homelites....those saws got retired.
Thanks for your reply. I guess any 1971/72 saw is in the vintage or classic category. My regular Husky (154- also an oldie) is a nicer saw to use than any of the Homelites or Macs, but it is great to give them a run. The XL12's are light to handle but you have to remember pump the oil and there is no rubber anti-vib. Most of Macs do feel like there is a brick in there even the 10/10s. I do like the power and noise of the 850 on the bigger wood...Then sawing for me is about keeping the fire going and helping others with their trees around town....

My son was using a poulan wild thing for decades around his house. When he started cleaning up my land in vt I gave him a new Husqvarna rancher 460. My son couldn’t thank me enough. Then I gave him a Husqvarna 570 for the bigger trees. My point is I liked my 2100’s but when we get to 60cc and above the 70 to 80 cc saws don’t play around either. When I wanted to cut I want to cut. Bigger cc the better.

Keep the air filter clean, the clutch and bar sprocket bearings greased. Plus the chain razor sharp.

The PM850 is a nice light saw.
Parameter won a saw competition at the old time bbq once. In Cazadero, surrounded by every brand made, he was running a SP-81 I think. Aaron has it now. John, JP, or Parameter I called him, died Saturday before last, accidental gun discharge in hunting camp. My favorite pic, 200 feet in. A Red, Cazadero 2011 I think. Our job.FB_IMG_1569533712929.jpgFB_IMG_1569534029642.jpg

My son was using a poulan wild thing for decades around his house. When he started cleaning up my land in vt I gave him a new Husqvarna rancher 460. My son couldn’t thank me enough. Then I gave him a Husqvarna 570 for the bigger trees. My point is I liked my 2100’s but when we get to 60cc and above the 70 to 80 cc saws don’t play around either. When I wanted to cut I want to cut. Bigger cc the better.

Keep the air filter clean, the clutch and bar sprocket bearings greased. Plus the chain razor sharp.
Was just thinking about mentioning that the 70cc chainsaws are no slouches. Got a 1981 Husqvarna 480CD from my Dad some 15 years ago. He used it for years and had bought it from an "old faller" as he put it. Be used it for his own tree fallen business and firewood every year after. Grandpa went to our cabin in B.C. and came back with a new 2100. Grandpa has since passed on and Dad gave my Uncle the 2100. Just two years ago we were up getting firewood and had a chance to run side by side with my Uncle in the same giant Doug Fir and of course the 2100 w/ 32" skip tooth beat me through the log but that "old fallers" 480CD w/ 32" full comp was right there with it. Of course I don't believe it is anywhere near the top 5 or 10 Muscle Saws or even top 20 for that matter. But never has missed a beat or had a rebuild in my time. Still starts 3rd pull hot or cold, low or high elevations. As far as the top saws.... well I need to get the hang of this thread and site thing. I have my first task here. ALRIGHT! SAW ON MY NEW FRIENDS IN MY PHONE:chainsaw::rock:
Pic of the 480 and a pic of the tree we were cutting up a few years ago with Ma, Pa, and my Uncle, and my truck getting used Properly! The truck I mean of course. I will Try and get a video of them this year in some big wood side by side. And I should Apologize for being a Noob and very first thing I do is post off thread topic and lengthy post with pics to boot. I messed up and probably will do it again. But gotta love them old saws!!! Gotta give em the respect they STILL COMMAND! sorry again. I'm done. Maybe..... Ha!!!!
1553860701679.jpg 1552789384678.jpg

Looks like the 2100/2101 has a cult like following? It’s a great saw. I think everyone cutter should have one. Once you run one the love begins.

The 480/285/1100/298/2100/2101 do rock but don’t sell the 181/288/266/268 short. Even my little 240sg was a beast, with small trees and tops.

The 480cd I picked up. I have another in parts for a build,

Attachments

• 2A7AC818-FB1B-40C5-B10C-BB5648E2A163.jpeg
    2A7AC818-FB1B-40C5-B10C-BB5648E2A163.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Yes Sir definetly a Old Husqvarna Fan. Having stated my story of why and my personal experience with my old Husqvarna, I must admit that Ultimately I am a Crazy Chainsaw Fan!!! So I can only say that I have been there with the 2100 and 480. I can not say anything about the other Top Muscle Chainsaws of All Time. As far as this Thread goes, or at least as far as I understand that 160+ pages ago the question is; What are the Very Best Top Muscle Saws of All Time? Top 5? 10? 20? I think that the 2100/2101 deserves a spot among These. Sounds like its gonna be Close to the Best if not the Best. But these Macs with The Cart Motors May be the one to knock off the Husky... From what I've been able to see and from the Men who actually were there as fallers and Ran them, both the Macs and Husky saws it really sounds as if the Mac was The Top Saw. I can not say. But as far as availability of them they seem rare. Would be damn Happy Crazy Chainsaw Guy Here for an opportunity to sink one of them Macs into some Timber and really have a Opinion on it. They definitely have my attention!!! Some more research is needed for me!!! All I want for Christmas is More Chainsaws!!!!! Hell with them front teeth! Might give my first born for the right saws. Definitely do it actually! Does that make me a bad person??? Do I need a Chainsaw support group???? Hope so!!!!

Latest posts

Back