2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never run a 090, but Im guessing atleast at one time they topped the list, and did notice in my high climber timber faller's book that that saw was on almost every page, wearing an 84in bar most of the time that is impressive. I do know of a tree company here that swears by the 394xp. I saw one in there garage that had over a sixty in bar, maybe 72 or 84. I asked em how it did with it the guy just smiled, and said the 394 is a strong saw!. How is the 090 in todays's standard's speed power? Compared to a 3120-880?

I always hear the 2100-2101 is capable of running a 60in bar, anybody hear done this in big timber? If not what's the biggest bar you did run? What about youre 394-395's or 066-660? How do they perform? We have a 48in canon on my buddies 066 pulls it good.

My stock 090 will seriously out pull my stock 880 with a 60" bar and even in 40" hard stuff the 090 doesn't sweat, the 880 does, and my poor beloved 066 mag just wants to go home. I'm gonna get that 880 ported because stock it's not that great. Then we'll see.

I think a good running 2100 might just give a stock 880 a run for it's money. which is alot of course.

Big saws equal torque, usually produced at 6000-8000 RPM's where the 880 is at 12,500. And for all that speed it doesn't cut the hard or big stuff near as well as the big old slow-pokes.

And then don't forget those big nasty yellow saws. My Mac sp125c will out buck my 090 but the 090 out cuts the Mac in stumps.

Hmm, that's interesting for sure. I have never run a 090 or 880. Run a couple 084's thought they did good. We have a 3120 at work, have'nt run it in wood yet. Im always grabbing the 660. I just like em, and can sure do alot with one. I have'nt cut with my 2101 yet as much as a 660. I have'nt had it as long/ So far I am real impressed well very impressed, I love it. And I have been in alot of big wood, and hard wood too. Biggest bar I have run is a 42, just what was around. I have alway's wanted to have a big bar handy for the rare occasion I may need it, but never have the extra cash. My buddy has that 48, and most of what we do our 32in, and 34 get thru em.

See they just keep popping up 2101, definately one of the greatest of all time. No doubt in my mind! The ghost of muscle saws past!!

In my less than completely even comparisons, the SP125 with adjustable H/L is top of the heap, followed by SP125 w/o the adjustable H, SP118 (Dolmar 166), and Super 797.

When the tree man's 2101 took a major dump I let him run the stock SP125 in a big log, he was noticeably impressed. I think he was more shocked however by the 7-10 with a 16" bar...almost speechless in fact.

Mark

I have recently acquired a 7-10 in nice shape. It looks just like a 10-10 but is 70cc. I haven't put it in the wood yet, but I'm definitely more interested in getting it going! :rock:

See they just keep popping up 2101, definately one of the greatest of all time. No doubt in my mind! The ghost of muscle saws past!![/QUOTE]

They're not Ghosts,

In order to be ghosts they would have to be DEAD! Don't think you can kill them.

I have recently acquired a 7-10 in nice shape. It looks just like a 10-10 but is 70cc. I haven't put it in the wood yet, but I'm definitely more interested in getting it going! :rock:

Yeah a 7-10 is a 10-10 on steroids, They are pretty light and have surpising power, even by todays standards.

Not dead oh so very true!! My saw shop pushes, and recomends the 660 more than any saw they are a stihl, and husky dealer. When I brought my 2101 in to my shop, a father, and saw owned buisness, the dad said they dont build em like that anymore when youre 660 is dead, and gone that 2101 will still be running. That blew me away to hear himsay that! But I love my 660 just as much!!

I cut for years with a Lightning then an 084 before moving to 090's. They just seem to cut with effort to spare - I don't think of them as muscle saws but they are not really sedate either. I guess they just seem to cut within themselves all the time. You know, with something to spare.

PA290750.jpg

Al.

Nice! I have yet to cut with a 090, but have heard that. @ of the saws you see probably the most in the high climbers timber fallers book, are the 090, and 2101 both in there alot! And in that book jerry said the 090 for big stuff was the cat's meow! Did you put that handle on that 090 for extra support?

Ok, I sold a weed eater and a montgomery wards chainsaw so now I should have the funds to complete the 2100. Just need the time off work to get the parts, hopefully I can get them locally.

I have test cut with several 090s, I couldn't wait to walk away from them. Huskys showed up too late to the party, didn't see a serious one until the mid 80s.
As pointed out a few times, true muscle saws are North American, from the mid 1960s, into the 70s. You lose too much of the muscle saw expirience with anything else.

I have never run the 090, but do know they still have quite a following. Good point husky showed up the lates't, but sure glad they made it! LOL!! I was born in 73 so missed a bit of the glory day's I guess. But when I was a kid mcculoch, and homelite were still a common thing. I guess they couldnt keep up with the european wave of production, and technology, so I have heard. I was bummed out when I bought a new homelit in 87 I think, and it was made in china. Mac's too. But I loved the saw I had run, and grew up with. We ran a 20 in homelite for years awesome saw cut alot of firewood can't even remember the model. We ran 610 pro mac's for firewood too. Xl 925 I guess I could go , on, but just wanted to agree with you that credit is due those what I just mentioned in saw were'nt muscle saw's. I did get to experience some American goodie's. And credit is sure due! I got into Stihl, and Husky when I was able to afford my own saw's, and never looked back. That was somewhere around late 80's early 1990 can't tell ya for sure. But I think anybody that has a copy of High climber's, and timber faller's can give credit due to the saw's in there. Though later in the century still cut some monster's. I also speek with a little experienc of time, and years i spent from 1987 till current day, living around big timber country, and rubbing elbow's with local logger's, faller's, and wood cutter's. Seeing what they have run, and currently run. Norm...................

I hope that the NorCal GTG thing happens this fall. Looks like we have the Baileys crew interested in it. If it's a go, then you'll have to make it to the event Norm. We'll have some 6+ci North American Muscle Saws for you to try out.

Maybe with a bit of luck, Randy will have his Homelite 900G and 2100S running and I'll have my 900D squared away. Then you can see what Stihl was trying to accomplish with their 070/090 saws...:cheers:

Were you working on Canfield road a few days ago? I passed a road crew there at about 1:00PM on Tuesday or Wednesday...

Last edited:
How's it going man? Yeah that was me on cannfield. Hope that get together come's for sure! I would love to try them saw's out!

Ok had a long day, finally got all the parts ordered for the 2100 with the exception of the chain brake band which I am told is NLA. Does anyone know of another brake band that will work? Also worked on two line trimmers and a 1940 or 50's rototiller with a 4 stroke clinton engine, man was that cool, wish it were mine.

I hope that the NorCal GTG thing happens this fall. Looks like we have the Baileys crew interested in it. If it's a go, then you'll have to make it to the event Norm. We'll have some 6+ci North American Muscle Saws for you to try out.

Maybe with a bit of luck, Randy will have his Homelite 900G and 2100S running and I'll have my 900D squared away. Then you can see what Stihl was trying to accomplish with their 070/090 saws...:cheers:

Were you working on Canfield road a few days ago? I passed a road crew there at about 1:00PM on Tuesday or Wednesday...

Dont know what you mean by TRYING to achieve, the 090 kicked ass in more comps than can be remembered even over the almighty macs with cart motors!!!

Dont know what you mean by TRYING to achieve, the 090 kicked ass in more comps than can be remembered even over the almighty macs with cart motors!!!

Just keep your chin up Bub. :D

I think we are talking stockers here, the 090 is a good strong saw, but no hotrod, besides its a nazi saw and an imitation of an established American brand.
As far as the modern plastic era goes, that big Husky seems to be it, with maybe one of the newer big inch stihls.

Back