2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my 2100 apart right now and it is easy to tell that the cylinder is very stout,(heavy). I believe that the 2100 would respond very well to port work too.

Just keep your chin up Bub. :D

I think we are talking stockers here, the 090 is a good strong saw, but no hotrod, besides its a nazi saw and an imitation of an established American brand.
As far as the modern plastic era goes, that big Husky seems to be it, with maybe one of the newer big inch stihls.

IMITATION????

Agreed it is no hotrod but nor is the 2100 in bog stock form, The only big inch stihl of modern times I am guessing you are referring to would be the 088, which will outdo a 090 in short bar territory but get over 40 inch and the 090 will outcut the 88 and the husky joined together, and if you lower the rakers on your chain to what it is capable of pulling not much would go near it. oh and then there is the 163cc version......

There was a 1690 Skil project on here awhile back. I crunched some numbers, and if my 153 had that bore with its 42mm stroke it would be a true 153 (153.88cc)

I do like my 1100/2100s, but I have to give the nod to the 100cc Dolmars, when strapped to an Alaskan tourque rules!

Tie any of the legendary hotrods to a mill and make some long rips through some 24"+Oak. Them long rips will Humble any saw made I would guess.

And if you put that bore on a 166 (48mm stroke) you would have well over 10 cubes.

Torque gets the work done, Horsepower numbers are just fer braggin' rights.

IMITATION????

Agreed it is no hotrod but nor is the 2100 in bog stock form, The only big inch stihl of modern times I am guessing you are referring to would be the 088, which will outdo a 090 in short bar territory but get over 40 inch and the 090 will outcut the 88 and the husky joined together, and if you lower the rakers on your chain to what it is capable of pulling not much would go near it. oh and then there is the 163cc version......

Yes, imitation.

I still find it hugely amusing that new saws need reworked before they can do the job well enough. I'm very happy that I was able to use real muscle saws on real timber and minorly sad that you-all are left with so little. The "big" news nowadays of which 50cc saw to buy. LMAO!!!!!

Yes, imitation.

I still find it hugely amusing that new saws need reworked before they can do the job well enough. I'm very happy that I was able to use real muscle saws on real timber and minorly sad that you-all are left with so little. The "big" news nowadays of which 50cc saw to buy. LMAO!!!!!

Har, Har,

Thanks Randy,

I wil try to do just that.

Happy Holiday to you and yours.

Randy, and other guy's too. I'd love to meet ya someday. Gotta say Randy youre replies make sense at times. Are amusing at other's. You seem like a good all around dude! You remind me of one of my best friend's out here John Parmeter. Not much on word's short, and sweet to the point! If you have many photo's I would like to see em someday, and hear a good story or two to go along with em. P.S I like all the saw's the good one's LOL!

High climbers.......

P.s Im surprised nobody has commented on what I have mentioned many time's over, about the saw's in the high climber's timber faller's book. Anyone take notice of the saw's used in there? Also identification? And regardless of the breed I think those saws in there have earned a place in History!!!! There was some big tree's they cut.

Dont know what you mean by TRYING to achieve, the 090 kicked ass in more comps than can be remembered even over the almighty macs with cart motors!!!

Just keep your chin up Bub. :D

I think we are talking stockers here, the 090 is a good strong saw, but no hotrod, besides its a nazi saw and an imitation of an established American brand.
As far as the modern plastic era goes, that big Husky seems to be it, with maybe one of the newer big inch stihls.

Yep. I was talking stock working saws, not heavily modified racers. The 9-series Homelite saws were introduced in 1960 or so (9-23 and 9-26). The last of them (995D and 995G) were built in 1965 or so. Hotsaw racing didn't take off until about 10 years later.........long after these were considered OLD saws, and parts for them weren't as available anymore.

Only somebody with a serious set of creamsicle blinders on can't see that the 070 and 090 were more than a bit 'influenced' by the 9-series Homelites that came before. I'm sure the guys that designed Randy's Homelite 900G would have been amused that the Stihl engineers couldn't do much more than alter the cosmetics a bit, give it a bit more displacement, and move a couple of digits in the model number for their 090G.

Homelite had moved on to more 'modern' designs like the 2100 and 3100G. Most of the big wood that was 'open' for cutting had already been put on the ground by the big McCullochs and the 9-Series Homelites (and misery whips and axes) by that time anyways...
:hmm3grin2orange:

I can also think of a certain McCulloch saw nut in the land of OZ that has embarassed more than a few 090's in comps...:D

Last edited:
Once again the saw's in the book should be shown respect they earned it! Even though some are still loyal to mac's, and homy's You can still credit the other powerhouse's. Hell there was even a mac 125 in the BOOK!! LOL! All joking aside why did Mcculoch, and Homelite give it up? I had heard they could'nt keep up with the european saw's production is this the case? Was there more to it? I have never heard the full story. And just saw a movie recently, sometimes a great notion the one about a oregon logging family, Paul Newman, Henry fonda. Kinda sad, but you see that big ass! Mac in the movie? What the hell was that thing? What a beast! Good looking saw.

[snip]

I can also think of a certain McCulloch saw nut in the land of OZ that has embarassed more than a few 090's in comps...:D

Oh geez, don't encourage Bob, we'd never hear the end of it :help:

He won't probably see this, he spends most of his time on RS and CSCF these days.

Will I point him this way or not ........ :laugh:

Once again the saw's in the book should be shown respect they earned it! Even though some are still loyal to mac's, and homy's You can still credit the other powerhouse's. Hell there was even a mac 125 in the BOOK!! LOL! All joking aside why did Mcculoch, and Homelite give it up? I had heard they could'nt keep up with the european saw's production is this the case? Was there more to it? I have never heard the full story. And just saw a movie recently, sometimes a great notion the one about a oregon logging family, Paul Newman, Henry fonda. Kinda sad, but you see that big ass! Mac in the movie? What the hell was that thing? What a beast! Good looking saw.

Norm,

That's a good book...........but it's one book. Have you read D. Douglas Dent's Professional Timber Falling book? Mostly McCullochs in there, with a couple Stihls. Other collections of pictures and such from "the golden age" of logging show old McCullochs, Homelites, Pioneers, and other long gone saws (and crosscut saws and axes). Much of the biggest wood was cut with muscle power...

We aren't saying the 090 or the 2100 are bad saws. Just adding to the discussion with mention of other great old saws that took down more than their share of BIG wood long before those two models existed. We're blessed with having a few of the fellows that were THERE in the woods at the tail end of that era. They share their own personal observations, as well as the wisdom that was passed on to them by loggers that were old timers when Randy was a lad...

Homelite and McCulloch weren't "beaten" by the euros. It wasn't that simple. Corporate issues, buyouts, a changing logging market, and other problems brought them down. Similar fates befell International Harvester, White, Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and several other great North American companies.

This is the earliest and smallest displacement gear drive in the Homelite 9-Series I talked about earlier. They would still pull 7 feet and more of bar wearing 1/2" chain. 60" is the longest bar that Homelite sold 'em with, but they pulled a lot more...

Model Profile: 9-26

Oh geez, don't encourage Bob, we'd never hear the end of it :help:

He won't probably see this, he spends most of his time on RS and CSCF these days.

Will I point him this way or not ........ :laugh:

You must steer the OzFlea towards this thread. It'll get entertaining for sure.:cheers:

Last edited:
& foot bar with half inch chain, thats impressive for any brand. If you back up what I posted a couple posts ago, on what I put down. I say give credit to all side's, and brand's. I dont knock any of em some guy's I think get stuck in the past or did see that stuff first hand. I do agree, but still, and always will feel that Stihl, and Husky have built some of the top muscle of all time. The 2101 inspired me to post this thread, because there are'nt many saw's from that era that would go neck, and neck with, and beat or even park next to modern, 394-95, 066-660 etc. So for a saw of that age to do that it is one of my top five. I know there are brand loyal guy's hell me too. I love Stihl, and Husky just my two favorite's, but I wont say other brand's dont exist. And wish the Mac, and homelite guy's would read my prior post, because I think it was fair! Eccentric, I can't wait to meet you looking forward to it! I will never right them off, I started out when I grew up with them loud yellow bastards! LOL! Homelite's too! They had some great saw's! For sure. I would'nt mind having some in my collection! I do actually got a old 5-20, and another littleone I forget. I need to add maybe a dolmar 166? LOL! It's all good little buddy's Love the oldie's too!!

P.s I got that D. Dent book too! Another good one. Aside from collecting saw's I collect logging, and big tree book's. Norm..........

Back