2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 910, 920 and 930 cut a lot of scale here in the PNW. I was still loggin' when the 910 came out. Most of the loggers I talked with that had all three saws in the series, liked the 910 best....in spite of its notoriously weak rear handle AV system.

My main fallin' saw was always the 2100/2101, but I had a J'red 80 as a backup saw. I know, strange bedfellows, right?! But that 80 is still going strong today and my last surviving 2100....not so much. I just need some bench time with it.

Am using a J'red 90 in its place. I have a 910 on the bench with a plethora of good parts waiting from a low hr saw. Just wanna pit the 910 against the 80 & 90 I have for sh*ts and grins. It's lighter weight and free revving should be a winner. However, I was given one for a day while loggin' and it didn't impress me enough or demolish my 80 in any way that I felt inclined to go down and buy one. In fact except for the weight difference, my 80 held its own.

As far as the Squeals go, best to park them under your truck tires.....;-)

I want a well sorted out 394....supposed to be free revving like the 2100/2101's and parts are much more plentiful than the 2100/2101. I'm getting real tired of hunting down 2100 parts and paying the moon for them...ridiculous.

Kevin

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

The 910, 920 and 930 cut a lot of scale here in the PNW. I was still loggin' when the 910 came out. Most of the loggers I talked with that had all three saws in the series, liked the 910 best....in spite of its notoriously weak rear handle AV system.

My main fallin' saw was always the 2100/2101, but I had a J'red 80 as a backup saw. I know, strange bedfellows, right?! But that 80 is still going strong today and my last surviving 2100....not so much. I just need some bench time with it.

Am using a J'red 90 in its place. I have a 910 on the bench with a plethora of good parts waiting from a low hr saw. Just wanna pit the 910 against the 80 & 90 I have for sh*ts and grins. It's lighter weight and free revving should be a winner. However, I was given one for a day while loggin' and it didn't impress me enough or demolish my 80 in any way that I felt inclined to go down and buy one. In fact except for the weight difference, my 80 held its own.

As far as the Squeals go, best to park them under your truck tires.....;-)

I want a well sorted out 394....supposed to be free revving like the 2100/2101's and parts are much more plentiful than the 2100/2101. I'm getting real tired of hunting down 2100 parts and paying the moon for them...ridiculous.

Kevin

Good deal my friend. Yes wish they still made parts. But I've done ok getting what I need. Dependable as he'll.

The 2100/2101 will always be my favorite saw against anything. And as far as the weight, that's what muscle memory is all about. Doesn't bother me a bit @63.

I do have another 2100....was gonna restore it, but parts being what they are....maybe I'll have to use it as a donor...sucks!

Glad yours is up and runnin' Norm!

Here's a J'red 920 Super I built for a friend.. fun saw to run, but a little clunky

Here's a 394 I built for a neighbor in a decent log.. I've since built another for myself (high top) that really rips..

Here's a 2100 I built for another friend.. they actually brought it by (they haven't used it in 2 years) saying they couldn't start it.. granted the recoil likes to skip, but I had it started in 3 pulls!
Love the deep cackle of the 2100's.. much lower tone than the 394's

I have 3 2100's that need some TLC... I think crank bearings and carb throttle butterflies would be all.. they all run but not quite right.

@Real1shepherd don't use it for parts yet, I might have a few spare parts, and they were so common I'm sure there's parts around somewhere

Here's a J'red 920 Super I built for a friend.. fun saw to run, but a little clunky

Here's a 394 I built for a neighbor in a decent log.. I've since built another for myself (high top) that really rips..

Here's a 2100 I built for another friend.. they actually brought it by (they haven't used it in 2 years) saying they couldn't start it.. granted the recoil likes to skip, but I had it started in 3 pulls!
Love the deep cackle of the 2100's.. much lower tone than the 394's

I have 3 2100's that need some TLC... I think crank bearings and carb throttle butterflies would be all.. they all run but not quite right.

@Real1shepherd don't use it for parts yet, I might have a few spare parts, and they were so common I'm sure there's parts around somewhere

Funny, the guys that collect saws say the 930 was the best of the series and the most powerful. Well maybe on paper, but the Partner and then Husky influence made them clunky to the pros I know that ran them in scale. They all preferred the 910 after they had progressively bought all three. We never thought saws would ever stall out in design, we always thought they were just tools and would keep getting better and better.

I can't ell ya how many gypo loggin' shows I was on in the 70's and early 80's here in the PNW, where all you saw was orange. Bailey's was sellin' the 2100 power head for around $500 for yrs and that was the best deal in the world as far as I was concerned. We ran six foot bars on them in Doug Fir and with nothing but muffler mods and the gov plugged. Nobody really needed anymore 'juice' with skip tooth chisel....rippin' beetches.

There's supposed to be a guy in Michigan that has a tremendous amount of old Husky parts. I never made the contact and summarily lost his number. I've been looking for a hard copy Service Manual for over seven yrs now. I don't need it to work on the saw, I just want one again. The 394 is a very close kissin' cousin to the 2100/2101. Be a good saw for me to step down to if I can't get parts support for the 2100. I hate that humpback look, but I'd get used to it I suspect.

But yeah....give me my druthers and I'd keep runnin' the 2100 saw until I die.

Kevin

I still got a few 2100 parts, I got a tank think it has a slow leak though, I got a couple crank cases complete with crank, ignition,and flywheel might need some thread repair. I have at least one good cylinder, and one that probably needs cleaned up, but I am sure it will clean up. I will have to check but I might also a recoil strarter, and a fan shroud, and other odds and end parts. I love the 2100/2101's, and I am glad to see people taking them in, for me there are too maney obsolete parts that could break they are what they are they are collectors. I got a few parts I'd be interested in collecting, I am looking to put a 028 super together, I need a parts saw, and a decent 46mm super cylinder. I could list what I need, but it's easier to just say I need everything. A parts saw, straight gased, vacum leak I have a good bottom end. I am also looking for a Stihl 066 parts saw I have a tank, crank case, crank and rod, flywheel, ignition, and the clutch and oiler assembly are intaked. I am also looking for a husy 55 parts saw. I guess I could take cash buyer pays shipping.

Funny, the guys that collect saws say the 930 was the best of the series and the most powerful. Well maybe on paper, but the Partner and then Husky influence made them clunky to the pros I know that ran them in scale. They all preferred the 910 after they had progressively bought all three. We never thought saws would ever stall out in design, we always thought they were just tools and would keep getting better and better.

I can't ell ya how many gypo loggin' shows I was on in the 70's and early 80's here in the PNW, where all you saw was orange. Bailey's was sellin' the 2100 power head for around $500 for yrs and that was the best deal in the world as far as I was concerned. We ran six foot bars on them in Doug Fir and with nothing but muffler mods and the gov plugged. Nobody really needed anymore 'juice' with skip tooth chisel....rippin' beetches.

There's supposed to be a guy in Michigan that has a tremendous amount of old Husky parts. I never made the contact and summarily lost his number. I've been looking for a hard copy Service Manual for over seven yrs now. I don't need it to work on the saw, I just want one again. The 394 is a very close kissin' cousin to the 2100/2101. Be a good saw for me to step down to if I can't get parts support for the 2100. I hate that humpback look, but I'd get used to it I suspect.

But yeah....give me my druthers and I'd keep runnin' the 2100 saw until I die.

Kevin
I like saws that are relatively narrow.. Cinderblocks like 056's I don't like. What I really like about my 394 High top is the air filter is really good, I can do LOTS of work with it in rotten wood and it doesn't plug up like the mesh filters.. So while the looks of them are a personal preference, they are definitely functional unlike the hood scoops on modern vehicles

I'm still looking for a 288.. I've heard they wake up nicely with a little work and are a bit nicer to work with than the 394's

I like saws that are relatively narrow.. Cinderblocks like 056's I don't like. What I really like about my 394 High top is the air filter is really good, I can do LOTS of work with it in rotten wood and it doesn't plug up like the mesh filters.. So while the looks of them are a personal preference, they are definitely functional unlike the hood scoops on modern vehicles
Yeah, Husky was trying to correct the problem with the smaller mesh filters. Worst case loggin', I replaced it at lunch.

There was a flocked 2100/2101 filter, but I wasn't even aware of that puppy until about 10 yrs ago....Iol. I use them in my J'red 80 and like the hell outa them. Probably one reason it's been going strong 35+yrs...lol.

I'm still looking for a 288.. I've heard they wake up nicely with a little work and are a bit nicer to work with than the 394's
The 394 was a heavier pro saw. Certainly wasn't a 'mistake' saw. Scale got smaller and users demanded lighter and higher revving saws. And that's were the industry is today. Certainly nothing wrong with a lot of low end torque for buckin' big logs.
I quit loggin' when I was forced into 25-27 log loads. No money in that, just tree thinning for the Forest Service.

Now I contact out for larger stuff every now and then. Glad I'm I'm not out there hustling everyday in the smaller stuff.

Kevin

I still got a few 2100 parts, I got a tank think it has a slow leak though, I got a couple crank cases complete with crank, ignition,and flywheel might need some thread repair. I have at least one good cylinder, and one that probably needs cleaned up, but I am sure it will clean up. I will have to check but I might also a recoil strarter, and a fan shroud, and other odds and end parts. I love the 2100/2101's, and I am glad to see people taking them in, for me there are too maney obsolete parts that could break they are what they are they are collectors. I got a few parts I'd be interested in collecting, I am looking to put a 028 super together, I need a parts saw, and a decent 46mm super cylinder. I could list what I need, but it's easier to just say I need everything. A parts saw, straight gased, vacum leak I have a good bottom end. I am also looking for a Stihl 066 parts saw I have a tank, crank case, crank and rod, flywheel, ignition, and the clutch and oiler assembly are intaked. I am also looking for a husy 55 parts saw. I guess I could take cash buyer pays shipping.

Hey Terry....you once sent me a oil/gas tank for a 2100. It was a JB Weld special. I never did work with it....i think I just need to get the JB Weld outa there and use steel inserts in the holes....you said it didn't leak. I remember you saying you were using a 2100 but were gonna downsize to something smaller because of the work you were about to do. Anyway, if you're looking to get rid of some 2100 parts, PM me. There's a place up in Canada that re-plates jugs for a decent price...good rep too. I might do that with a decent 2100 jug. But I've even been stumped by something as small as the wrist pin...had to put my old one back in.

Kevin

I noticed almost very little difference between the 930 super I have with the jungle muffler and my fathers 394xp with 24" bars. The 930 seems to have more raw torque and the 394xp has more rpms and is slightly faster. Makes sense, factory max on the 930 super is 12,200, 394 13k. They have the same piston stroke but the 394 has a 2 mm bigger bore. Just interesting how the 930 felt like it had more torque, very torquey saws. They also make a very awesome unique noise the 820/830/910/920/930, they sound like no other saw I have ran. The closest sister saw to the 900 series was the 181/281/288xp, the 920 cuts with a 288, a 930 outcuts a 288 easily. The biggest problem with the 800-900 series is finding parts. Great saws in there day...

Hmmm....find it interesting you think the 930 has more torque than the 394. I hope to pick up a nice 394, but I can only pit it against the 910. I have no interest in owning the 930...pretty clunky with that Partner influenced handle. And the 910 was the last 'true' J'red designed pro saw.

Parts for the 900 series come and go on the bay in spurts....you almost need a donor saw or two if you're going to put serious hrs on one. Everyone is clamoring about 3D printing, but I don't see it giving us parts for old saws anytime soon.

Kevin

Hmmm....find it interesting you think the 930 has more torque than the 394. I hope to pick up a nice 394, but I can only pit it against the 910. I have no interest in owning the 930...pretty clunky with that Partner influenced handle. And the 910 was the last 'true' J'red designed pro saw.

Parts for the 900 series come and go on the bay in spurts....you almost need a donor saw or two if you're going to put serious hrs on one. Everyone is clamoring about 3D printing, but I don't see it giving us parts for old saws anytime soon.

Kevin

As for 3-D printing, I'm no expert but I believe you could 3D print a mold that matches the profile of an old flywheel. And from there cast something with aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back