2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Sir definetly a Old Husqvarna Fan. Having stated my story of why and my personal experience with my old Husqvarna, I must admit that Ultimately I am a Crazy Chainsaw Fan!!! So I can only say that I have been there with the 2100 and 480. I can not say anything about the other Top Muscle Chainsaws of All Time. As far as this Thread goes, or at least as far as I understand that 160+ pages ago the question is; What are the Very Best Top Muscle Saws of All Time? Top 5? 10? 20? I think that the 2100/2101 deserves a spot among These. Sounds like its gonna be Close to the Best if not the Best. But these Macs with The Cart Motors May be the one to knock off the Husky... From what I've been able to see and from the Men who actually were there as fallers and Ran them, both the Macs and Husky saws it really sounds as if the Mac was The Top Saw. I can not say. But as far as availability of them they seem rare. Would be damn Happy Crazy Chainsaw Guy Here for an opportunity to sink one of them Macs into some Timber and really have a Opinion on it. They definitely have my attention!!! Some more research is needed for me!!! All I want for Christmas is More Chainsaws!!!!! Hell with them front teeth! Might give my first born for the right saws. Definitely do it actually! Does that make me a bad person??? Do I need a Chainsaw support group???? Hope so!!!!

I think pound per pound, hp per hp the Husqvarna 2100/2101 has the top of the list for muscle saws. It’s even been said the new 395 can’t keep up with the old, tired 2100/2101 saws, stock vs stock. In the firewood biz time is money. I wasted no time running 2100’s.

There was a logging crew here were the owner of the company bought each member of his crew a new 2100 Husqvarna saw. He knew the cost of wasting time with other saws.

To me the 480, 285/298/1100/2100/2101/ are like a big block Chevy. Everything is more about weight today. But these saws have the grunt.

Not a fair comparison IMO. The 2100 is best served with a 36" bar or longer, in timber adequately sized for those bars.

I just ran my old loggin' 2100CD against a Jonsered 2094;both with 36" bars and both with .404 skip-tooth chisel chain (Oregon 68CJ). Both saws used in the same Maple tree that ran just over two feet to just under four feet....bucking the beast. I fell the tree with the 2100 and bucked it up into 18" firewood blocks. A hundred yr old tree with five massive trunks coming out of a middle section.

Short story; in anything where the 2100's bar was completely buried, it pulled harder than the 2094. In anything where I could see most of the sprocket tip on the other side, the 2094 out cut the 2100. That 2094 is a screamer with two rings....extremely underrated saw.

So......if you're gonna put a 32" bar or less on a 2100 and let it compete against smaller saws in smaller timber.....especially newer high revving saws, the smaller saws will out cut it.

The 2100/2101 was a purpose built saw for the larger timber in the PNW. Husky sent their head engineer from Sweden over to work the kinks out with the prototype 2100CD, taking feedback from PNW loggers before they started their production run. I don't know of any other instance in the history of modern ported saws where anybody else did anything similar.

I had some of the first 2100's ordered from Bailey's back when I was loggin'. Right around $500 of less delivered....just the power head. Actually, I think that price is wrong...the first two were just under $400 and when I was quitting in the 80's the price was about $500 for the power head....from Bailey's.

Kevin

Yes Sir definitely a Old Husqvarna Fan. Having stated my story of why and my personal experience with my old Husqvarna, I must admit that Ultimately I am a Crazy Chainsaw Fan!!! So I can only say that I have been there with the 2100 and 480. I can not say anything about the other Top Muscle Chainsaws of All Time. As far as this Thread goes, or at least as far as I understand that 160+ pages ago the question is; What are the Very Best Top Muscle Saws of All Time? Top 5? 10? 20? I think that the 2100/2101 deserves a spot among These. Sounds like its gonna be Close to the Best if not the Best. But these Macs with The Cart Motors May be the one to knock off the Husky... From what I've been able to see and from the Men who actually were there as fallers and Ran them, both the Macs and Husky saws it really sounds as if the Mac was The Top Saw. I can not say. But as far as availability of them they seem rare. Would be damn Happy Crazy Chainsaw Guy Here for an opportunity to sink one of them Macs into some Timber and really have a Opinion on it. They definitely have my attention!!! Some more research is needed for me!!! All I want for Christmas is More Chainsaws!!!!! Hell with them front teeth! Might give my first born for the right saws. Definitely do it actually! Does that make me a bad person??? Do I need a Chainsaw support group???? Hope so!!!!

When I started loggin' in the 70's (middle 0f....in the PNW), aside from a few Homelites (and even less MACs) serving limited duty on landings, it was a sea of Stihl and Husky saws for fallers. I started with an 075 and the faller teaching me put a 2100CD into my hands and said, "Try this!!" There was no going back after that and a LD call to Bailey's had me two 2100CD's within a week. Longest week of my life waiting and using that 075. Not gonna get in a battle here of Stihl versus Husky....this was MY experience. A couple of yrs after that, all the gypo loggin' shows I worked for were a sea of orange. You could argue it was price & availability, but if the Huskies hadn't performed, they would have been ousted by Stihl.

Kevin

Around 1980+ my first 2100 was $700 and my rolls Royce husky 240 SG brought the bill up to $1,100 if I remember correctly. My next saw was a 2101xp. After that it was a 266SE. The 100cc 6 cube 2100/2101 rule with longer bars. Unless we go with a short bar and bigger rim. There all power.

The wife was so mad I spent $1,100 on chain saws. But when the bizz started up and the Money rolled in it was quiet.

Sounds nice, but I have no clue. Unfortunately, they guy who got it new is dead, I believe, but his son who currently owns the saw might be able to let us know. Or I'll just bug my boss and a few other husky guys until one of them turns up something.

Just shows you how 'crazy' collecting has become. I'm glad I weaned myself from CAD. But not before I got caught up in all the hype surrounding the Jonsered 111S. Here's a saw, I thought, that would rival the 2100. Not only is it a dated early 70's design, but it has low terminal RPM and revs slow. Even at 110cc, the 2100/2101 walks away from it easily.

The 111S is the perfect poster child for succumbing to Internet mysticism/hype.

Yrs back there was a 2101 supposedly "stored in a closet" with never any fuel or oil run through it. It went for over $3,000 on eBay. The above linked saw is worth about $350 to me...absolutely nothing to get excited about at that ridiculous price.

The color of the various pieces don't match (even if you take in account fading), which indicates to me it's not an original saw. You want that kinda of money from an astute collector, then you need legitimate provenance. I'm not seein' it.

Kevin

Eight years and 161 pages and all I can say is, I'll run Red till I'm dead, mix in a few Yella's for the other fella's, and the world is all good.
jO9637p.jpg

YU8nOAk.jpg

PNfy40j.jpg

FMFniqF.jpg

4laqa2f.jpg

Hello gents.
I friend of mine gave me a 2100CD, not running, missing parts. 30" Oregon bar and chain. GAVE ME.
The carb was all plugged up, as the air filter had a tear in it. No cover. The cylinder had missing fins, and the piston looked rough. No chain tensioner screw, hardware store nuts holding the clutch cover tight. the case is scared up from a chain working loose.
Then the search began, found a new cylinder made in Italy, piston from ebay, other parts from HLSupply, carb rebuild kit. Gorilla tape over the tear in the filter.
Got it going 2 days ago. :). It runs nice! Now a big bar oil leak to deal with, but seals and o rings coming.
I found a carb to filter mount for a 394 that should bolt up for an option if I cant find a 2100 filter.
Any thoughts on resolving the air filter issue?
I really appreciate all the comments in the past in this thread. I have the saw bug and its nice to see I can tap into vast experience and wisdom from folks who've been at it a long time.
Thanks all.
Currently mostly run a rebuild 261, Big Bore 371xp, and a 562xp. A stihl 193T for in tree work.

Airfilter, 2100/2101?

Try my dealer, chainsaws unlimited, southbury,ct family mom n pop dealer. He should have it. Tell him I sent you.

Your going to really like the 2100. I had two 2100cd /2101 Xp, one 266se, one 240sg in the firewood business. I ran 16” & 18” bars on the 2100/2101 saws sometimes.

Back