24” vs 28” bar. The pros and cons.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I’ve been threatening to purchase a new chainsaw for awhile now. Tomorrow is decision time, as I need it for Canada day weekend.

I am looking at the stihl 462 or the Makita 7900.

What I need help with is the bar length. This will be a firewood saw, although first job is taking down a huge spruce on the yard.

Is a 28” bar too much for the stihl? The balance is good I read, correct? How’s the balance with the Makita?

Also, is the Makita as well built as a stihl?

It may be silly, but I still dont know which saw to get. The Makita or the stihl. There are service dealers close to me for both. Both dealers don’t have any stock of the saws I’d be buying, so I’m buying blind either way.

Input, as always is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Both bars seems like a smart idea.

Absolutely - as an added benefit, if you don't have a spare saw, spare bars & chains are your next best option. Do enough cutting, and sooner or later a pinch will grab your bar bad enough that you'll have to cut your way out (sure, we all try our best to be vigilant and read the way the wood is laying, but, hey, stuff happens and mistakes get made). Being able to detach the powerhead and mount a spare bar and chain might just save your day.

I have a 372XP with a 24", and a 460 with a 28"...the 372XP combo is just about as close to perfect as I have found. Plenty of length for the bigger stuff, but still not too bulky for limbing on the ground. That being said, you can't beat the length when you really need a 28" bar.

Thanks guys. I’ll go with both.

What about chains? Anything special?

When it comes to Stihl chains, it's basically between the semi-chisel and the full-chisel. The semi-chisel is the "low-kickback" stuff, which I happen to prefer, because it gives a smoother ride and is more forgiving to use. The cutting speed difference between semi-chisel and full-chisel isn't enough for me to get hung up on, and I'll trade that speed difference for a more controllable, and less "grabby" sort of cutting experience. I think semi-chisel is easier to file, too, and I'm told it keeps its edge longer as you work, so you're sharpening less often.

Of course, many, many here will recommend full-chisel, and they're certainly not wrong. Buy a loop of both and see which you prefer.

Also, a loop of carbide chain isn't a bad addition to the toolkit for the instance where you find yourself messing with old, dirty, or dead wood, or stumps.

Maybe it’s just me but I have extra new bars in house from 16”, 18”, 20”, 24”, 28”, 32”, 36”, 42” plus extra chains for them. Buy on sale or clearance. These are for my 266se, 268xp, 480cd, 181, 288, 285, 385, 2100 saws. My point is I match the bar length to what diameter I’m cutting. Safety first. I feel using a bar too long that’s not needed can be unsafe. The cost of different bar lengths isn’t worth getting hurt.

Even if it’s farmtec/huztl bars and chains. Be safe.

461/462 will pull a 28” no problem. If you cut a lot of large rounds go with the 28”. If you have smaller saws no need for an extra bar, if not s 20” would be good for everything 20” and smaller

Man alive gentleman.

I’m buying a saw tomorrow morning and I still can’t decide between the stihl and dolmar. This is worse than buying a car.

I’m familiar with stihl.

I’d like to belong to the mysterious dolmar club. It’s almost like a Freemason type organization

Argh. This is tough.

Back