241c , 261c , 362c adapter for K/N filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI......... over the years, the motorcycle guys have pretty much stopped using these oiled cleanable filters. Lots of scientific-ish studies done by very smart guys with flow meters and filtration testers showing that they do not filter well at all when new, and once dirty restrict flow very quickly.

No idea how that relates to saw filters but figure I’d throw it out there
After using for approx 6 hrs I wood disagree with your statement

After using for approx 6 hrs I wood disagree with your statement

I mean. Just spend some time googling k&n filtration and air flow tests. There are fellas with 100’s of hours+++ of scientific testing pretty much proving these kn filters to be absolute garbage. Who knows maybe they’re different in a saw versus on the small motorcycle engines

I mean. Just spend some time googling k&n filtration and air flow tests. There are fellas with 100’s of hours+++ of scientific testing pretty much proving these kn filters to be absolute garbage. Who knows maybe they’re different in a saw versus on the small motorcycle engines
yah , I machine the parts and test the ideas myself ! This way I KNOW the results and possess the knowledge ... when cutting for extended periods the stock filter set-up isn’t up to par and I’ve proven that to myself ... yes you can replace the filter monthly at ($42 x 12 =$504/year) or put a light film of great around the lip yada yada yada ... plastic components are INFERIOR to machined metal , ain’t no two ways about that !

Ohhhhh you’re the person who made the adapter. Well I’m not trying to dog on your product. Maybe check out some of the dry cone filters. Back when I was young dumb and childless with money for sport bikes we all used afe dry filters. Basically tons of pleats better than oem airflow but actually filtered out the gravel etc compared to k&n.

Ohhhhh you’re the person who made the adapter. Well I’m not trying to dog on your product. Maybe check out some of the dry cone filters. Back when I was young dumb and childless with money for sport bikes we all used afe dry filters. Basically tons of pleats better than oem airflow but actually filtered out the gravel etc compared to k&n.
Yah , well there’s a lot of yappin and woulda shoulda coulda , back in the day talk on these forums ... I do not go by talk sir ... with the amount of cutting I sometimes do I found the stock system quite frankly inadequate and was letting DEBRIS INTO THE ENGINE ! See photo of said filter after 2 hrs run time ... Do you actually own / run a STIHL 241c 261c or a 362c (462c has same set/up but larger- that comin soon when I can get my paws on one ) series chainsaw ? Yes or no ... because if you do not you really woodnt have a clue of what I’m talking about ! I’m just showing MY workaround and it’s working great for ME ! Your mileage may vary!!!

Yah , well there’s a lot of yappin and woulda shoulda coulda , back in the day talk on these forums ... I do not go by talk sir ... with the amount of cutting I sometimes do I found the stock system quite frankly inadequate and was letting DEBRIS INTO THE ENGINE ! See photo of said filter after 2 hrs run time ... Do you actually own / run a STIHL 241c 261c or a 362c (462c has same set/up but larger- that comin soon when I can get my paws on one ) series chainsaw ? Yes or no ... because if you do not you really woodnt have a clue of what I’m talking about ! I’m just showing MY workaround and it’s working great for ME ! Your mileage may vary!!!
You are correct, after three days hangin on a trotline at the bottom of a backwash on the river, the stock filter on my 241 had let water in the engine when I pulled it up to pull a catfish off the line.

On the larger saws that offer a max-flow filter option that’s what I use ... unfortunately as of now (at least to the best of my knowledge) max-flow does NOT offer a kit for these smaller 241,261,362 series STIHL saws ... I’ve gotten 25+ tanks of fuel before the max - flow needed cleaning ! A VAST improvement over the stock filter ... It makes one wonder how these companies that make aftermarket filters stay in business whilst manufacturing “garbage” ... STIHL scratching my head on that one

Brother. Chill. Alls I’m saying is that the k&n filters are really well known to be total garbage in the motorcycle/dirt bike 2 stroke community. That’s it. And this has been really well proven and tested 10x over. It’s not.. ..”yappin”. Seriously spend just a few minutes googling k&n filter testing and see for yourself instead of raging out at me. Heck I even tried to steer you towards the afe alternatives that actually do filter decently and you’re still upset.

I never ever said the stock filter set up was great or any of this stuff you’re upset about. All I pointed is is a heads up that k&n filters are well known to be trash.

Saw your latest comment. I never said anything bad about “all aftermarket filters”. ONLY k&n. And they stay in business purely due to excellent marketing.

Like I keep asking. Spend a couple minutes and research this for yourself before you go yappin at me

Saw your latest comment. I never said anything bad about “all aftermarket filters”. ONLY k&n. And they stay in business purely due to excellent marketing.

Like I keep asking. Spend a couple minutes and research this for yourself before you go yappin at me
Here’s an 064 that a kind member here helped me obtain for a very reasonable price ... I’ve cut well north of 50 face cord of wood with it over the past few weeks, it’s a bit different set/up than the adapter but the principal is the same ! Again NO Fines into the firing chamber and a quick -revving responsive saw ! 308949C3-08CA-45A1-8DDF-CACE138A0BFD.jpeg A96E6E1D-A256-480A-ABA4-60017AB985B9.jpeg

omg. Just google it. K&N filter testing. It will show you the hard data on these garbage filters. Then find an afe or similar dry filter that are all over these tests that will fit. I’m sorry but it’s more complicated than posting pics of the carb. I’ve really tried to help you but clearly you’re going to continue refusing to listen

Sir , you must consider the application before you begin shooting from the hip ..... I raced 2-stroke banshees back in the day ... high skies we ran em stock .... sand dunes , dusty conditions water mud ... an Outerwear was placed over the filter .... it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for a Saw chip from a SHARP chain to pass thru an Oiled foam max flow or / oiled KN Metal - Gauze filter .... also consider that the STIHL uses an air-injection located near the flywheel to supply the air to the stock filter - The kit is drawing its air from a different location ... yes the cover needs to be cut I agree but I’m working on that as we speak

omg. Just google it. K&N filter testing. It will show you the hard data on these garbage filters. Then find an afe or similar dry filter that are all over these tests that will fit. I’m sorry but it’s more complicated than posting pics of the carb. I’ve really tried to help you but clearly you’re going to continue refusing to listen
Sir , I am actually doing the testing , not reading someone else’s findings ... SO FAR , it’s exceeded my expectations ! That’s what I do my friend , I test , test , test , this way I have the knowledge.... right ? You have your opinion and I think that’s wonderful - however, because I’m actually testing in real world conditions I have something you lack .... and that is knowledge and experience which I also think wonderful !

If anyone is shooting from the hip it’s you. You’re comparing the amount of dust you visually see in a carb after a couple hours to fellas who are measuring literal microns of dust and exacting precise flow rates on lab equipment.

......It’s pretty obvious that you’re not going to simply google these very well-known k&n tests. I’m only here trying to help you find a better alternative, and you’ve been nothing but snarky in return. I’ve said my peace. Just know that within the community of engine folks anyone seeing a k&n filter is snickering. Good luck with your project!

If anyone is shooting from the hip it’s you. You’re comparing the amount of dust you visually see in a carb after a couple hours to fellas who are measuring literal microns of dust and exacting precise flow rates on lab equipment.

......It’s pretty obvious that you’re not going to simply google these very well-known k&n tests. I’m only here trying to help you find a better alternative, and you’ve been nothing but snarky in return. I’ve said my peace. Just know that within the community of engine folks anyone seeing a k&n filter is snickering. Good luck with your project!
tell ya what guy ... uni makes an oiled foam filter .... I’ll see if one will fit and try that too k ?

Back