$25, 4-1/2lb Harbor Freight Axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
My main splitting tool for years has been a 4-1/2lb axe, the head of which I found in the woods behind my old house maybe 15 years ago. It's had a bunch of handles on it, and the present one is getting a little iffy thanks to some hard wood I've been splitting. I did a bad swing the other night when I was too tired and my aim was gone, overshot the log and now I don't fully trust it. So I'll be putting a new handle on it soon, but I wanted a backup, and all you can buy anywhere is 3-1/2lb axes, which I find too light. Except I saw last year that Harbor Freight had 4-1/2 ones.

So I picked one up tonight. Made in India with a "genuine hickory" handle. Looked a little rough, but cheap enough. I put a better edge on it, smoothed the rough edges of the axe head, and rubbed the handle with steel wool. I still had enough light to knock apart some hard ash logs - and you know what? It's a decent axe. I liked the feel, pretty much like my other one of that weight, though the head profile is different. Handle felt solid so far (I would not bet on that lasting long, but we'll see).

So now I can take my time putting a new handle on the other one - and a smaller axe that needs a handle too.

If it were me, I would use a maul. Would probably be a little easier also. Thanks for info on the axe, I do need a new one.

If it were me, I would use a maul. Would probably be a little easier also. Thanks for info on the axe, I do need a new one.
I don't care for mauls much, I'm faster with an axe. I mostly use the maul with wedges. I had a nice Craftsman 6lb maul, teflon coated with a fiberglass handle, which was great for when you get the log cracked but it's still holding. You could sink that in there without worrying about abrading the wooden handle, and it wouldn't get stuck. But I cracked the head and must look for another one now.

$15 more will get you a fiskars X27 super by far the best axe I have used.

$15 more will get you a fiskars X27 super by far the best axe I have used.
I had a Fiskars hatchet a few years ago, but my wife ran it over with the brushhog. It was very nice, but I am not interested in any tool I cannot replace the handle on. Tools that cannot be maintained will end up in the dump, tools that can be maintained will be passed on to my son, even if they are of humble origin.

Edit: I've been using it hard today on white oak - It's working very well but the head it getting a little lose, which I expected. Hopefully I can get the handle out and put it back in properly. I always coat the handle with Gorilla Glue where it goes into the head before I install them, and I've never had one loosen up.

Last edited:
If you still have that hatchet you can get a new one under warranty from Fiskars. All they want is a picture of it to prove ownership and breakage and you'll get a new one. Lifetime guarantee on the Fiskars splitting tools, even warranted against brushogging.

If you still have that hatchet you can get a new one under warranty from Fiskars. All they want is a picture of it to prove ownership and breakage and you'll get a new one. Lifetime guarantee on the Fiskars splitting tools, even warranted against brushogging.
Thanks for the tip - I'm sure it's around somewhere, although I have not run across it in a while. Still, i would never throw something like that away.....

My wife is kinda scary on the mower or brush hog. She gets a lot done, but don't get in her way. Sometimes I gotta shake my head and ask "How'd you run over that?". The only answer I get is "I didn't see it!". Um, yeah.

The fiskars X27 is on sale at Baileys for $39.99 I believe. I don't think you will have to worry about replacing the handle ever. And if anything ever did happen, it has a lifetime warranty of course. The 4 pound head would be right up your alley. I like mine.

The fiskars X27 is on sale at Baileys for $39.99 I believe. I don't think you will have to worry about replacing the handle ever. And if anything ever did happen, it has a lifetime warranty of course. The 4 pound head would be right up your alley. I like mine.
There's no doubt it's a good tool and I'd probably like using it. Still, with shipping it'd be around twice what I paid, and that's big deal anymore. And eventually I expect the handle to be damaged in some way. If the Fiskars company and the global supply chain that brings it to you are still around then, you might get a new one under warranty. But I'm not confident in any of that, and there's suitable hickory up in the woods if need be. Also, I prefer the feel of a wooden handle.

In the end, this axe is holding its edge well, and the head shape seems to work quite well. I was splitting some nice ash with it last night - nothing too big so as to make moving it a chore, and it was mostly all one hit splitting. It was a nice evening and an enjoyable job, and I liked using the axe.

And eventually I expect the handle to be damaged in some way. If the Fiskars company and the global supply chain that brings it to you are still around then, you might get a new one under warranty. But I'm not confident in any of that,

They have been around for the last 362 years, but I understand what you are saying.

I too have stuff from HF. I've even got a "beater" of a camp axe. Works fine for driving in tent stakes and ####ie-doodling around. No complaints and worth the $7 for sure.

I've checked out the HF axes. If a person does go this route, make sure they hunt for one that is centered (I've seen some on the shelves that looked crooked).

Well, the HF axe finally got a new handle:

Axe800.jpg

It's a Link handle - the grain isn't really oriented properly but it's about the best I've found in a local hardware store.

The axe works pretty well. The shape is a little too narrow in taper for splitting some wood (i.e. it gets stuck), but for other types it's nice. The weight is perfect for me, and it hold an edge well. Not bad at all for the price.

The old cure for loose heads and to keep the wood supple, is to soak it in water, overnight will do it.
I learned this in the Forestry. we had two complete sets of handtools, one for "grade" work, the other for fires only. Every two weeks, we soaked the fire tools in 55 gallon drums, loose heads and split handles were rare.

X27 is designed to do what you are asking and will never need the handle replaced...

Seems like money saved to me...:clap:

We go through about 3 doz a month at the shop...

not one person has not called me back and told me how great they are...

They even come back and buy them as gifts.

I have to ask why you are still using wooden handled axes? My aim has always been notoriously poor and I have ruined my share of wooden handles. But about ten years ago I bought a poly handled axe and haven't looked back. I don't know the brand name, but it has taken years of abuse and it still looks great. I will never go back to a wooden handled ax.

I bought my Dad an X27 for Father's day, and I expect he'll love it.

As for me, I like traditional tools and the feel of a wooden handle. I found the head for my favorite splitting axe in the woods behind my old house. It's about 4-1/2lb but it's been sharpened a fair amount and has a fairly steep angle to the front edge - a bit like a maul but not that extreme and still very sharp.

But also, I really am a Luddite and am expecting very serious economic troubles ahead, so I am not counting on the continuation of the global supply chain that brings all these wonderful things to our doors. In all seriousness Europe's economy is imploding and I would not count on any particular European company surviving - that includes Fiskars, Stihl and Husqvarna. I can learn to make my own axe handles, and I am eying up some hickory for exactly that purpose. Should the X27 break you cannot fix it and you're dependent on that global supply chain to bring you a new one.

I have another thread where I put a new handle on a box store 3-1/2lb axe ( http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/186934.htm ). That one originally came with a nice fiberglass handle with a rubber cushion between the handle and head. On the first day I used it I stuck it so hard into a piece of wood that I had a lot of trouble getting it out, and the handle was destroyed. It sat next to my workbench for a couple of years before I decided to experiment making a shield around the handle just below the head. It has worked very well, but it takes a bit of time to do. Therefore I have decided to learn to use my axe better instead of inventing ways to make it hold up when I use it poorly.

Last, after I fit the handle to the head I put Gorilla Glue on the handle where it goes into the head before I do the final attachment. They never loosen up on me.

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure it's around somewhere, although I have not run across it in a while. Still, i would never throw something like that away.....

My wife is kinda scary on the mower or brush hog. She gets a lot done, but don't get in her way. Sometimes I gotta shake my head and ask "How'd you run over that?". The only answer I get is "I didn't see it!". Um, yeah.

She must just haul right along and get it done, LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, the HF axe finally got a new handle:

attachment.php

It's a Link handle - the grain isn't really oriented properly but it's about the best I've found in a local hardware store.

The axe works pretty well. The shape is a little too narrow in taper for splitting some wood (i.e. it gets stuck), but for other types it's nice. The weight is perfect for me, and it hold an edge well. Not bad at all for the price.

Looks pretty good! My friend got the same handle for his axe and his head almost looks identical to yours too! Very good axes!

Looks pretty good! My friend got the same handle for his axe and his head almost looks identical to yours too! Very good axes!
They're pretty common and seem to be better quality than others sold at HD and TSC. They're considerably thicker. I'm really looking forward to trying to make my own handle, but I have more research to do on that.

Latest posts

Back