251 vs 028s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcfly49

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an ms251 that is essentially new, and an 028 super that I completely rebuilt. The 028 seemed to cut so much faster that I was going to sell the 251. After the cutting I realized I had a yellow chain on the 028 and a green on the 251. Is the difference in chain that noticable, or is it the saw? I'm done cutting, and I am feeling too cheap to buy another chain and test them with the same chain. Any thoughts?

I'd never sell my 028S.

The 028S is ~ 6-7 cc bigger engine and not choked down by EPA crap. It's lots easier to work on and not a clamshell design. Only drawback is it's older and parts are starting to be discontinued. I'd keep the 028S and stock up on any wear parts/rubber that you have not already replaced.

I didn't realize the displacement was that much different. I guess it makes sense that a bigger saw with a shorter bar and a full chisel would out cut the 251. I'm a little slow sometimes

CC's don't mean squad it's all about Port timing
I guess I need to learn to port, I'd love to spank a 660 with this 028. That farmertec with no gasket was still 30 thousandths squish, it must have had perfect porting. I may play with the porting this time. I think I just need a degree wheel and a boat load of reading

Any Stihl starting with an ‘0’ is most likely better than the newer model...with a few exceptions.

Guess that doesn’t really help :drinking:

I once had half a dozen 028's that all sold but one that I kept for myself. I tried to sell an MS251C that a widow's late husband bought. Almost brand new, it's still available. Simple case of pro-saw vs. clam shell.

I have no choice but to start using the 251C for my own firewood collecting, but I would rather use instead half a dozen other saws that I already own.

I used the same full chisel chain on the 251 for a cord today, and it cut much better.
I once had half a dozen 028's that all sold but one that I kept for myself. I tried to sell an MS251C that a widow's late husband bought. Almost brand new, it's still available. Simple case of pro-saw vs. clam shell.

I have no choice but to start using the 251C for my own firewood collecting, but I would rather use instead half a dozen other saws that I already own.
Sell that thing on ebay and you can walk away with over $200, probably more.

Back