2511 - found 1/4 sprocket but can't find bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohyatt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked up my Echo 2511 today, skips around too much for me in hardwood and like the way my ms170 cut with the 1/4 pitch chain. My dealer can get 1/4 sprockets and 12 inch bars (he says - but can't find the bar at baileys that he says he can get), and I want a 14 inch bar.

Does anyone know of a lightweight bar that will fit the small echo's? Looks like forester has a carving one - https://www.forestershop.com/forest...se-carving-bar-1-4-pitch-14-inch-pcbqt14.html, are there any better or additional options?

what is the difference between quarter and dime nose btw?

Thanks Franny. I don't really care at this point since the options are so limited. thanks for the description of nose diameter. And I assume 043 would make more sense but 050 would be better than the 3/8 pitch I think. Any suggestions?

The 90px is a .043 gauge 3/8 lightweight narrow kerf chain. And that's what comes on the saw.

So I'd guess .043 would be the way to go. I think Stihl calls it a Micro. And there's a pretty big difference in size if you look at the two 1/4" chains side by side.
And all of the conversions I've seen (on youtube) have a Stihl bar with the small tip.

Picked up my Echo 2511 today, skips around too much for me in hardwood and like the way my ms170 cut with the 1/4 pitch chain. My dealer can get 1/4 sprockets and 12 inch bars (he says - but can't find the bar at baileys that he says he can get), and I want a 14 inch bar.

Does anyone know of a lightweight bar that will fit the small echo's? Looks like forester has a carving one - https://www.forestershop.com/forest...se-carving-bar-1-4-pitch-14-inch-pcbqt14.html, are there any better or additional options?

what is the difference between quarter and dime nose btw?
If you get a hard nose bar, pitch won't matter, only gauge.

Funding 1/4 pitch bars on the internet is frustrating. I have had more success on eBay searching 1/4 bar, .250 bar, .25 bar in chainsaw parts and accessories. Since you have a Stihl bar look to see if one can be modified. Probably make slot longer, new holes. Stihl does have 13 tooth nose bars in files posted on here (0.050).

Might try a loop of Stihl chain for the set up you have.

I got a Total super bar in 1/4" 72dl. Not light weight, 0.050.

The 90px is a .043 gauge 3/8 lightweight narrow kerf chain. And that's what comes on the saw.

So I'd guess .043 would be the way to go. I think Stihl calls it a Micro. And there's a pretty big difference in size if you look at the two 1/4" chains side by side.
And all of the conversions I've seen (on youtube) have a Stihl bar with the small tip.

The saw comes with 050 3/8LP chain and bar around here.

Funding 1/4 pitch bars on the internet is frustrating. I have had more success on eBay searching 1/4 bar, .250 bar, .25 bar in chainsaw parts and accessories. Since you have a Stihl bar look to see if one can be modified. Probably make slot longer, new holes. Stihl does have 13 tooth nose bars in files posted on here (0.050).

Might try a loop of Stihl chain for the set up you have.

I got a Total super bar in 1/4" 72dl. Not light weight, 0.050.

I don't have a stihl bar - I just have an echo/oregon 050 bar, and a 043 oregon micro lite on the way to try out, 3/8 LP.

Can somebody help me understand if there 043 3/8LP chain is narrower than the 050 3/8LP? The both call out narrow keft but the stihl pmm3 seems to call theirs narrower, but i don't know if that's just the guides?

Can somebody help me understand if there 043 3/8LP chain is narrower than the 050 3/8LP? The both call out narrow keft but the stihl pmm3 seems to call theirs narrower, but i don't know if that's just the guides?
There is no set rule that the cutters are smaller for the .043 than the .050 gauge of 3/8 lp or low profile. There is certainty that the cutters of the 61 class picco has smaller cutters than the 63 class picco. (Picco is a Stihl brand term. 1 means 1.1mm or .043 and 3 means 1.3mm or 0.050) There is also certainty that the cutters of genuine Oregon chain will be smaller in the 0.043 variant. All of these will have the distance from the rivet center to the sliding surface the same and hence can run on the same drive sprocket in a manner approved by the manufacturers. The chassis in general is lighter on the 0.043 stuff, but one must be careful with Carlton, Woodland Pro, and off brand stuff that they just use the same thing with a smaller in width drive link.

Recheck that 3/8 low profile chain in 0.050 gauge is called narrow kerf. I believe that is in error if you found it.

Note the link in post 1 is a combination mount, I see two oil holes and two adjuster holes.

Latest posts

Back