261 c-m running LEAN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She definitely has a mind of her own. Even at 50/1 she smokes a fair bit more aggressively than my other saws during startup. Wondering if that'll settle down once broken in more thoroughly. Higher maintenance little gal so far but fingers crossed she's settling in.

She definitely has a mind of her own. Even at 50/1 she smokes a fair bit more aggressively than my other saws during startup. Wondering if that'll settle down once broken in more thoroughly. Higher maintenance little gal so far but fingers crossed she's settling in.
The initial smoke is a good sign, it just means your saw is getting a well oiled start.

The initial smoke is a good sign, it just means your saw is getting a well oiled start.

Yup. that's for sure. I'm guessing the mtronic runs it purposefully rich on startup and then backs it off once warmed up. Do you think the mtronic is it smart enough to back off a bit more after break in? Some of my old saws years ago (Partner and Homelite running more oil in mix of course) smoked like this constantly, but none of my newer ones are as intense as this smoker at startup.

Better too much than too little but I can see that 40/1 is not in the cards for my saw for some time yet.

Not really sure how smart this lil brainsaw is , but certainly has a mind of its own.
I really like it but it’s nothing compared to my Mickey Moused 346 that Randy built.
I wonder if Stihl can tell how many hours an Mtronic has on it?

Not really sure how smart this lil brainsaw is , but certainly has a mind of its own.
I really like it but it’s nothing compared to my Mickey Moused 346 that Randy built.
I wonder if Stihl can tell how many hours an Mtronic has on it?

lil brainsaw :laugh:

my 261 c-m started 2 times from dead cold today , each time with only 4 pulls :happybanana:

When was the last time you ran it before the first time.
My 241 popped on the second and was running on the third Thursday.

Ran it about 2 hours apart and it was below freezing out so it was also dead cold on the second run.

My little gal may have a tough time keeping up with a 2 pull cold start o_O

Right, but how long before the first time you started it. I wouldn't expect it to take many pulls if it had been running hrs before, now weeks before maybe a bit more.

Yesterday I ran it and started on 6 pulls,cut up a few rounds put it away. - then today I ran it cold started on 4 pulls - left it for couple hours in the cold and came back, started again on 4 pulls.

shhhhhhh, no negative feedback ... she's listening, I know it ... I'm trying to encourage her :p

Yesterday I ran it and started on 6 pulls,cut up a few rounds put it away. - then today I ran it cold started on 4 pulls - left it for couple hours in the cold and came back, started again on 4 pulls.

shhhhhhh, no negative feedback ... she's listening, I know it ... I'm trying to encourage her :p
Nice.
They do look real nice for a half orange saw, but I'm not thinking she'll stick around long if you keep leaving her out in the cold like that, that's not real encouraging :laugh:.
Glad it's running well for you, nothing worse than a piece of equipment not working when you need it to :omg:.
I was thinking of you on wed when all I wanted to do was to get my yr end power washing done and my Honda 13hp pressure washer would start :rare2:. It needed the nozzle cleaned, so I pulled the bowl and then tried to remove the nozzle, but it was stripped(oh yeah that's why I didn't clean it earlier :dumb:). The neighbor seen me pulling and pulling on it and must have felt bad for me because he asked if I wanted to borrow his :cheers:. Then my 11 yr old son say to me later, so does his work better than ours, sure does when ours won't start :cry::lol:.

Nice.
They do look real nice for a half orange saw, but I'm not thinking she'll stick around long if you keep leaving her out in the cold like that, that's not real encouraging :laugh:.
Glad it's running well for you, nothing worse than a piece of equipment not working when you need it to :omg:.
I was thinking of you on wed when all I wanted to do was to get my yr end power washing done and my Honda 13hp pressure washer would start :rare2:. It needed the nozzle cleaned, so I pulled the bowl and then tried to remove the nozzle, but it was stripped(oh yeah that's why I didn't clean it earlier :dumb:). The neighbor seen me pulling and pulling on it and must have felt bad for me because he asked if I wanted to borrow his :cheers:. Then my 11 yr old son say to me later, so does his work better than ours, sure does when ours won't start :cry::lol:.

misery loves company :cheers:

just a quick update.... Little 261 c-m doesn't smoke nearly as much on startup anymore. Starting cold is 5 real lazy pulls to get the fuel into her, then one quick snap and she fires. Warm restart is no more than 2 and mostly just 1 pull without the decomp.

I think the lazy pulls substitute for a primer bulb ... I would prefer a 3 pull cold start saw with primer bulb, but I can live with 5 real lazy pulls and 1 quick snap mainly because this saw is so nice and light weight and has some good 4hp jam.

just a quick update.... Little 261 c-m doesn't smoke nearly as much on startup anymore. Starting cold is 5 real lazy pulls to get the fuel into her, then one quick snap and she fires. Warm restart is no more than 2 and mostly just 1 pull without the decomp.

I think the lazy pulls substitute for a primer bulb ... I would prefer a 3 pull cold start saw with primer bulb, but I can live with 5 real lazy pulls and 1 quick snap mainly because this saw is so nice and light weight and has some good 4hp jam.
I have a 261 c-m, more out of interest than need, used from Ebay. I like it, it'll start with five pulls after sitting for a month (with fuel in) like most of my saws. Unlike my other saws however, it just goes into a controlled tick over until I open the throttle and begin work. It does burble when I lift out of the cut, but perhaps differently to a well tuned oldie.....maybe because revs are limited, rather than being a tad over rich. I don't fret about it, I just use it, much to my collection of Jonsereds 49sp's disgust. Time will tell if the on board equipment is as good as they say it is, however my next go to saw already has perhaps 40yrs worth of experience and still runs real well, I won't get the 40 yrs to tell how the 261cm held up !

I’m of the opinion that mtronics don’t respond well to being run dry, if I put my 241 away for a period of time I drain the efree plus K2 40:1 mix and fill with VP fuel + K2 and run it long enough to be sure that’s what is in the system.

Latest posts

Back