261 c-m running LEAN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4300(if you don't already have one I can't remember) may be a better fit then, they pull a 16" lp setup pretty nice and they are easy to start and start quick.
The 261 popped and ran on the 4th pull today, 550 mk1 1st pull popped, ms291 that hasn't run in a while 5th pull, 4300 2nd, 4th pull on a mm7910 and it hasn't been ran in months.
Bulky as far as handling, and yes getting closer to the 562, but can you start the 562 no problem. Pretty sure theres an easy start 6100 also, while I prefer the handling of the 562 the 6100 is better than not being able to start a saw :D.
20th pull I would have been setting it aside for another saw and bringing it back to the dealer I got it from.

My shoulder gets sore but it's not broke. From my cold dead hands you will have to take my 562xp :p I can pull it over in 4 pulls (5 max) from dead cold and previously run dry, and not aggravate my shoulder. Purge bulb, decomp.

Have had an EA4300 for some years now -it's in my signature. Love that little saw for light work, there is nothing that can match it for ease of starting that I'm aware of.

The issue for me is repeated pulling in certain positions aggravates previous injury - the more the pulling repitition the more the shoulder aggravation.

If the 261 c-m had a purge bulb it should start with less reps. Still, I will test drop starting it cold over the weekend and see how many pulls it takes. I think they've started to cut corners on this saw that may bite them over time. e.g. plastic handle, no purge bulb, some lighter weight components ... possibly in a quest for the new low weight win over Husky's 550xp mkII.

Your latest result shows the 261 c-m pop on 4 pulls is encouraging and if that becomes the norm for mine, I will be happy. It is a gutsy saw for 50cc and now that it seems to have straightened up a bit, I'll give it a good audition before pulling the plug. It's just unfortunate that the recent hiccup (too many repeated pulls) caused my shoulder to get inflamed again.

My shoulder gets sore but it's not broke. From my cold dead hands you will have to take my 562xp :p I can pull it over in 4 pulls (5 max) from dead cold and previously run dry, and not aggravate my shoulder. Purge bulb, decomp.

Have had an EA4300 for some years now -it's in my signature. Love that little saw for light work, there is nothing that can match it for ease of starting that I'm aware of.

The issue for me is repeated pulling in certain positions aggravates previous injury - the more the pulling repition the more the shoulder aggravation.

If the 261 c-m had a purge bulb it should start with less reps. Still, I will test drop starting it cold over the weekend and see how many pulls it takes. I think they've started to cut corners on this saw that may bite them over time. e.g. plastic handle, no purge bulb, some lighter weight components ... possibly in a quest for the new low weight win over Husky's 550xp mkII.

Your latest result shows the 261 c-m pop on 4 pulls is encouraging and if that becomes the norm for mine, I will be happy. It is a gutsy saw for 50cc and now that it seems to have straightened up a bit, I'll give it a good audition before pulling the plug. It's just unfortunate that the recent hiccup (too many repeated pulls) caused my shoulder to get inflamed again.
I'm good, I don't run 60cc saws much, maybe when I get older :).

I was on my phone, couldn't see your signature, but I guess that's why I was thinking you might have one.

It probably would start easier/quicker with a purge bulb. The fact that it started after 8 pulls a bit ago and then today after 4 pulls show it would benefit from one to me. That's one of the things I didn't like about the 2 series huskys, no purge bulb. Stihls doesn't use to many on their saws, but one of my favorite things is seeing the bulbs on the 500i, I know the stihl fanboys like them :laugh:.

They do run well if you can get them started, at least the huskys are running when the screws fall out:laughing:.
Just figure I'll mention the one I was starting had the decomp plugged. We'll also have to get starting reports from down south on it going forward as I shipped it out today :hi:. Not the first 261cm2 I've sold and I don't think it will be the last :D.

We'll also have to get starting reports from down south on it going forward as I shipped it out today :hi:. Not the first 261cm2 I've sold and I don't think it will be the last :D.

are you saw dealer, re-builder, seller? Guessing you are not holding saws for long? or do you just move out saws when the love fades?

This is not a legally binding question :laugh:

are you saw dealer, re-builder, seller? Guessing you are not holding saws for long? or do you just move out saws when the love fades?

This is not a legally binding question :laugh:
I've spoken with my attorney and he said I could answer :laugh:.
Firewood, tree jobs, helping folks out and a good bit of buying and selling. But I also really enjoy running saws in general and trying as many as I can. I don't normally flip them, but sometimes they go real quick. The previous 261vs2 was one of those, I only had it a couple weeks and someone had to have it, this one I've had a while and ran a good number of tanka thru. After all the hype about it I honestly thought I would be selling all my 50cc huskys, after running it I didn't find it a struggle to let it go, just another modern 50cc saw to me. There are plenty of other saws that I've had for many yrs and others I have no interest in selling, but sometimes someone liked them more than I do, and who am I to argue with them :D.
I always have a good selection of pro saws here ready to work and I also try to grab up as many builders as I can for the guys looking for projects as well as saws to build into race saws. Also I keep a few farm ranch saws and the husky "pro light" models(like the 353,359,365,2166) around too. I try to have a little of what everyone likes here at Brett's saw emporium :yes:.

I've spoken with my attorney and he said I could answer :laugh:.
Firewood, tree jobs, helping folks out and a good bit of buying and selling. But I also really enjoy running saws in general and trying as many as I can. I try to have a little of what everyone likes here at Brett's saw emporium :yes:.

>>> cool - - :dancing:!

Any recommendations for the best P&C kit for my oe 346xp?

The issue for me is repeated pulling in certain positions aggravates previous injury - the more the pulling repitition the more the shoulder aggravation.

But but but a purge bulb and a decomp is stupid on a 60cc saw! It’s a waste, you don’t need it and they should stop implementing it!!! /sarcasm

;)

Nice to see a real world saw user chime in about this! They are useful in the wood cutting trade! A lot of us saw couch commandos think they are not, but we aren’t using them 8+ hours a day. It’s clear that the work is hard in this situation and primer bulbs, decomps make it that much easier when your slinging a saw all day long.

I don’t have these problems with my new 261cm. Mine generally starts on the 2nd pull every time. With the temp got into the teens this week, it took 4 pulls to start it.

You wanna see hard starting, watch my diesel truck start on a cold morning lol

But but but a purge bulb and a decomp is stupid on a 60cc saw! It’s a waste, you don’t need it and they should stop implementing it!!! /sarcasm

;)

Nice to see a real world saw user chime in about this! They are useful in the wood cutting trade! A lot of us saw couch commandos think they are not, but we aren’t using them 8+ hours a day. It’s clear that the work is hard in this situation and primer bulbs, decomps make it that much easier when your slinging a saw all day long.
But,but but your not 64 years old yet!:laugh:

I'm good, I don't run 60cc saws much, maybe when I get older :).

I was on my phone, couldn't see your signature, but I guess that's why I was thinking you might have one.

It probably would start easier/quicker with a purge bulb. The fact that it started after 8 pulls a bit ago and then today after 4 pulls show it would benefit from one to me. That's one of the things I didn't like about the 2 series huskys, no purge bulb. Stihls doesn't use to many on their saws, but one of my favorite things is seeing the bulbs on the 500i, I know the stihl fanboys like them :laugh:.

They do run well if you can get them started, at least the huskys are running when the screws fall out:laughing:.
Just figure I'll mention the one I was starting had the decomp plugged. We'll also have to get starting reports from down south on it going forward as I shipped it out today :hi:. Not the first 261cm2 I've sold and I don't think it will be the last :D.
Hey I resemble that remark.:crazy2:

;)

Ya I've seen those posts. Some guys with arms like my thighs I guess :laugh:

6'2" and 190lbs but still like a decomp and bulb on a 60cc saw. Repetitive strain issues seem to show up as you age.

I don’t have these problems with my new 261cm. Mine generally starts on the 2nd pull every time. With the temp got into the teens this week, it took 4 pulls to start it.

2 pulls!! - damn I'm jealous - there's hope yet! what mix do you use? drop start? Run it dry? any other factors? Do you lavish praise on the saw ahead of pulling it over? :p

What oil do you run in your diesel trucks?? Dad's was very sluggish starting with 15w40 at freezing, and at -15*C, if it wasn't plugged in, forget it till you warmed the oil with a pipe under the oil pan and a tiger torch in the other end of the pipe.

Switched to 0w40 from Cat, and I could start it at -40*C without being plugged in.

I run full synthetic rotella t6 5w40. Maybe have to give that a try. Trucks got 112k miles onnit and probably due for injectors because it gets terrible stiction. I’ve already replaced one injector but at a $250 cost each, they aren’t cheap and a total pain in the ass to replace.

I run full synthetic rotella t6 5w40. Maybe have to give that a try. Trucks got 112k miles onnit and probably due for injectors because it gets terrible stiction. I’ve already replaced one injector but at a $250 cost each, they aren’t cheap and a total pain in the ass to replace.
I tried to send a pm to avoid clogging up the thread with other stuff. But no option. I'm assuming you have a 6.0l ford. The injectors can be cheaply rebuilt with kits you can buy. My friend does this a bunch. There are videos on youtube on how to do this. My buddy says that it's really not that difficult. Says the rebuild kits are pretty cheap.

I tried to send a pm to avoid clogging up the thread with other stuff. But no option. I'm assuming you have a 6.0l ford. The injectors can be cheaply rebuilt with kits you can buy. My friend does this a bunch. There are videos on youtube on how to do this. My buddy says that it's really not that difficult. Says the rebuild kits are pretty cheap.

yes the 6.0. I’ll have to check into the rebuild kits. Shoulda went ahead and done the injectors at 80k miles when the heads were studded, egr deleted, and oil cooler was replaced. It took me 12 hours to replace just one injector on this truck. It’s a nightmare to work on. I also think my HPOP is on it’s way out so I may just do the hpop and injectors all at once.
Thanks bub for the info!

Latest posts

Back