261 c-m running LEAN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran my saw and it started on 5 easy pulls using decomp. Ran well and I noodled a couple of logs. Restarted with 1 or 2 pulls every time when warm. Will try another cold start later today with drop start only and no decomp.

Things are looking up.

Just ran my saw and it started on 5 easy pulls using decomp. Ran well and I noodled a couple of logs. Restarted with 1 or 2 pulls every time when warm. Will try another cold start later today with drop start only and no decomp.

Things are looking up.
Good to hear. I just looked at a couple of acres of dead ash that needs to come down . Hoping to give my 261 a good work out.

I'll be interested to hear how your saw performs.
Ran 2 tanks thru it yesterday. This was the first time I ran a ethanol free mix since a local gas station just started selling it. My back was acting up so I was pulling the cord a bit gingerly on start up. Took about 6 pulls initally and after warm up 1 pull. 2 pulls after I ran out of fuel on the first tank. Temps were around 50* Definitley can tell a big difference between it and the old 026.:chainsaw:

Well, my 261cm gave me a few lean screams yesterday. You know, that vocal disapproval when you run the tank dry trying to get those last few cuts in. Only the tank wasn't dry. Far from it. It screamed, died and the b@stard thing would not start again. I gave up and pulled out old faithful, Dolly. Will try the 261 again today but hopefully it's just a glitch that goes away, bc it has become my go-to saw for anything small.

Well, my 261cm gave me a few lean screams yesterday. You know, that vocal disapproval when you run the tank dry trying to get those last few cuts in. Only the tank wasn't dry. Far from it. It screamed, died and the b@stard thing would not start again. I gave up and pulled out old faithful, Dolly. Will try the 261 again today but hopefully it's just a glitch that goes away, bc it has become my go-to saw for anything small.

damn! Sounds similar to what mine did. I hope this issue is not contagious.

Threads like these make me appreciate my carbureted 261 that pops on two pulls and starts on two more... cold, dry, warm, same procedure every time. I am looking at new saws and was thinking the M-tronic is the way to go for never having to worry about adjusting carbs... But after reading several of these types of M-tronic nightmares, I am wondering if I should just stick with a carburetor?

Threads like these make me appreciate my carbureted 261 that pops on two pulls and starts on two more... cold, dry, warm, same procedure every time. I am looking at new saws and was thinking the M-tronic is the way to go for never having to worry about adjusting carbs... But after reading several of these types of M-tronic nightmares, I am wondering if I should just stick with a carburetor?
My 241 was my first mtronic. Probably have cut close to 50 cords with it . No problems. My 462 probably has about 10 cords on it again no problems except the fuel cap attachment. I'm a little nervous on the 261 since it only has about 3 tanks through it. Unfortunately carb saws will be a thing of the past in a few more years.

I'm all ears KiwiBro, waiting to hear if you can get it started without a reset.

What mix are you using? I keep asking this as mine 'seems' happier with 50/1

I'm all ears KiwiBro, waiting to hear if you can get it started without a reset.

What mix are you using? I keep asking this as mine 'seems' happier with 50/1
Got sidetracked today so will try it tomorrow and keep you posted. I'm running 40:1.

Got sidetracked today so will try it tomorrow and keep you posted. I'm running 40:1.

that's what I was running when mine started acting up. I read in another thread somewhere here that another guy had 261 cm problems that cleared up when he went back to 50/1.

Carburetor police monitoring our usage?! - :omg: :D

What type of mix are you guys running, maxima k2 at 40:1 gave me no problems.
Yesterday I ran a few couple thru the ms201cm, after a refill it was running a little wonky for a bit and gave me a fit starting it. I shut it off as soon as I heard it surge, filled it, hit the purge button once and it was full, pulled the cord and she fired up, but when I hit the throttle it stalled and did that a couple times, then I started it and let it idle a bit before I hit the throttle and it stayed running but it took about 20 sec for it to straighten out. After all that it never missed a beat.

I'm running ethanol free gas plus Echo Powerblend at 40:1 in my 261c and have for 3 years. I cut year around and the only issues I've had are hot start when the temps are 105F + (and only then when I don't let idle for a few seconds before shutoff or if placed directly in the sun for a while). I also run this in my newer 261c and my 441c with no issues.

I don't think your fuel ratio is the issue. Just my two cents...

Back