262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at that same saw. With shipping it was going to cost more than I would spend, but I figured it would be a good score for someone local to Thunder Bay.

Congrats! :cheers:

Don’t you already have a bunch of those? That would sway your determination to have another I think.

Was this a kijiji offer, or somewhere else?

Yes I have a few of them now, and yes that does impact how much I will spend on another one. The saw being discussed here was on Kijiji and even though the pics weren't great, I could see it was an early saw and probably worth every penny the seller was asking.

early in the thread it was mentioned that they all run about the same, yet the early ones seem more desirable by some. Why is that?

do they all run about the same?
The earlier versions of the 262XP have a KS cylinder and 87 carb. The 87 carb has a larger venturi, the KS cylinder is better than the Mahle...for...reasons? I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe someone else can explain.

I'm currently reading the whole thread. On page 15 so far...

The seller said his phone was ringing off the hook! I showed him the 87 carb and explained it is a VERY sought after saw.

7th week of 1990 makes it one of the earliest saws. I've only ever heard of a 26th week 1989 from @SawTroll

The 1989 week 26 one is pictured in the attached brochure, and appears to be number 166 that week.

As usual, the time of introduction likely varied between different markets, so there may not have been any 1989 saws sold in the US.

Attachments

• Husqvarna262xp.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
The 1989 week 26 one is pictured in the attached brochure, and appears to be number 166 that week.

As usual, the time of introduction likely varied between different markets, so there may not have been any 1989 saws sold in the US.
Sneaky! I see it there. Maybe that was their first production run?

I sold this 1990 K&S with 87 for $350 usd. Last winter or this spring time frame. To me thats about max $ it.
The later year ones I had with mahle cyl and smaller carb bring less or at least should.

Stock for stock I could tell the difference in the K&S cyl one. Felt like a little hotrod. The mahle cyl ones dont do anything for me. JMO

h262x.jpg

90% of mine are in the Scrounging Firewood thread.

That Good Morning thread is nice, but too many posts to keep up with, almost reminds me of that Walton's TV show … "Good Night ****"

Surely there are too many posts, some make a separate "good morning" post for each of the others - no doubt in order to boost their post count and number of "likes". Having to scroll trough all that is getting tiresome, so I likely am going to change my focus back to the saw threads at some point. The trouble is that there are too many recent developments that I'm not updated on, but some times I feel I have something to contribute when older models is the topic.

I can't prove anything regarding the HDA-87 vs. -120, and KS vs. Mahle vs. Gilardoni top ends on the 262xp/xpg (most are xpg here) - and there are more factors involved as well, like non-decomp vs. decomp cylinders and different gaskets (on stock saws).

The power specs was changed from 3.5 kW/4.8 hp (m) to 3.4 kW/4.7 hp (m) at some point, but I believe that didn't happen before production was moved to Brazil in the early 2000s. To my knowledge, those late saws only were marketed in two markets, Russia and Israel. I did a lot of searching for them around 2003, and I think I would have found out if they were offered elsewhere at that point.

I attach a couple of pictures that is showing the 262XPH, a version that to my knowledge only was marketed in Russia.

I also attach a picture showing a 262xp Gilardoni cylinder off a 1991 saw, as I believe some may not know that such a thing exist.262xph 1.jpg 262xph 2.jpg 262xp Gilardoni 342 1991.jpg

I sold this 1990 K&S with 87 for $350 usd. Last winter or this spring time frame. To me thats about max $ it.
The later year ones I had with mahle cyl and smaller carb bring less or at least should.

Stock for stock I could tell the difference in the K&S cyl one. Felt like a little hotrod. The mahle cyl ones dont do anything for me. JMO

View attachment 675050

Have you tried one with a non-decomp Mahle, or a Gilardoni?

The 262xp is one of only two Husky made saws (that I know of) that were made with both KS, Mahle and Gilardoni cylinders - the only other one is the Jonsered 670 Super/Champ.

Surely there are too many posts, some make a separate "good morning" post for each of the others - no doubt in order to boost their post count and number of "likes". Having to scroll trough all that is getting tiresome, so I likely am going to change my focus back to the saw threads at some point. The trouble is that there are too many recent developments that I'm not updated on, but some times I feel I have something to contribute when older models is the topic.

I can't prove anything regarding the HDA-87 vs. -120, and KS vs. Mahle vs. Gilardoni top ends on the 262xp/xpg (most are xpg here) - and there are more factors involved as well, like non-decomp vs. decomp cylinders and different gaskets (on stock saws).

The power specs was changed from 3.5 kW/4.8 hp (m) to 3.4 kW/4.7 hp (m) at some point, but I believe that didn't happen before production was moved to Brazil in the early 2000s. To my knowledge, those late saws only were marketed in two markets, Russia and Israel. I did a lot of searching for them around 2003, and I think I would have found out if they were offered elsewhere at that point.

I attach a couple of pictures that is showing the 262XPH, a version that to my knowledge only was marketed in Russia.

I also attach a picture showing a 262xp Gilardoni cylinder off a 1991 saw, as I believe some may not know that such a thing exist.View attachment 675059 View attachment 675060 View attachment 675061

What’s the purpose of those handles?

I also attach a picture showing a 262xp Gilardoni cylinder off a 1991 saw, as I believe some may not know that such a thing exist.View attachment 675059 View attachment 675060 View attachment 675061
That's an interesting looking saw @SawTroll ! Is it designed for cutting from a balloon? :crazy: :laughing:
It doesn't surprise me that it was only marketed in Russia.

As to the different cylinders that came on 262xp's, I have a few different cylinders here from both KS and Mahle. The KS cylinders are all non-decomp, and visually identical internally. The Mahle cylinders I have vary greatly internally, with some having small transfer tunnels, and others medium sized (KS cylinders have large tunnels), and some Mahle cylinders having large upper transfers, and others having small uppers. I only wish I knew the production dates of each cylinder so I could establish a pattern. I have a couple non-decomp Mahles and they both have small upper transfers. I have a few decomp Mahles and the transfers vary on them. Would you have any thoughts as to the varying port sizes on 262xp cylinders?

…...

As to the different cylinders that came on 262xp's, I have a few different cylinders here from both KS and Mahle. The KS cylinders are all non-decomp, and visually identical internally. The Mahle cylinders I have vary greatly internally, with some having small transfer tunnels, and others medium sized (KS cylinders have large tunnels), and some Mahle cylinders having large upper transfers, and others having small uppers. I only wish I knew the production dates of each cylinder so I could establish a pattern. I have a couple non-decomp Mahles and they both have small upper transfers. I have a few decomp Mahles and the transfers vary on them. Would you have any thoughts as to the varying port sizes on 262xp cylinders?

Sorry, but no - you already told more about it than I knew from before.

Back