262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the purpose of those handles?

That's an interesting looking saw @SawTroll ! Is it designed for cutting from a balloon? :crazy: :laughing:
It doesn't surprise me that it was only marketed in Russia.

…..

My understanding is that it is for cutting close to the ground down in dugouts in the snow around the trees, without having to put the operators head down in the dugouts. This handle style has been common in at least parts of Russia, like Siberia - and not only on Husky saws. The other brands I have seen with such a handle all have been Russian though.

The 262XPH likely was the last 262 version to be discontinued, when it was replaced by a 365 version with a similar handle, long after the 262 had been discontinued on "Western" markets.

The 262xp is one of only two Husky made saws (that I know of) that were made with both KS, Mahle and Gilardoni cylinders - the only other one is the Jonsered 670 Super/Champ.
Husqvarna 242 had the trio also.

262 had at least 6 different jugs, KS, Gilardoni, Mahle 48ZK without decomp, Mahle 48ZK with decomp, two different Mahle 48ZN15 with decomp, their transfer timing where different.

A bit off tophic, but 242 had also 6 different jugs if we're picky in details, the first one used M5 threads for the carb bolts, not got to the point if it had different timings, its a Mahle jug.
Then they used M4 threads for the carb bolts, another Mahle jug, up to around late 1990.
242XP where introduced late 90, better port timings + bigger piston windows, jugs delivered from both Mahle and KS, that should be top end kit number 3 and 4.
In about 93-94 they changed the transfer ports a tad, angled them different so it opened first against the intake, jugs delivered from Mahle and Gilardoni, brings us up in number 5 and 6.
96 was the last update I've seen where the piston gained more weight, that is version 7 ;)

Got to use my late 92, 262 (ks & hda 87) for the first time today on some 42” red oak. We were also using our recently rebuilt 288 and our 562. I thought the 262 with 20” bar kept up with the 562 with 24” bar pretty well. My son and I were going to race the two saws but the starter rope broke in the middle and that ended that.overall the 262 ran well in some big wood. The 562 is a joy. Light nimble and powerful. It started on the first pull every time.

he he I always thought them Huskies are made of spare leftover parts
thats true, back in the 90's you never really knew what you bought, their IPL's are not really 100% true, and some of the changes wasnt even in any of their IPL's ;)
After watching 242 - 254 - 262, all the small upgrade/downgrade they went through, I got a few favourite years/ultimate builds.
262, ruffly late 93 or newer bottom part + KS + hda87, with a flywheel from 1996.
254, ruffly late 93 or newer bottom part + KS jug from 86 to midd 87, flywheel from 1996.
242 is easy though, late 1994 up to late 1995, they are in my book the 242 hot rods.

Great info @Tor R ! What exactly makes the flywheel from a 1996 saw desirable?
thanks bud,
1996-98 xpg flywheel is lighter, it also has a full circle magnet for the generator. Probleby the same for a non g flywheel also.
They also updated their coils around middle 1995 with ignition advance, there was 4 coil versions with ignition advance for the 254/262 class.

and what makes the newer cases desirable? My guess is the mag clutch cover compatibility...

tho the plastic clutch cover seems to be a good piece itself.
stronger crank, Husqvarna updated both the 254 and 262 with a bigger con rod bearing in middle of the year 1993.

They did the same with the 242 class in the middle of year 1994, bigger con rod bearing.

I will do as usual and run lots of oil in my early one, since that is what I have. Hopefully it holds up.

Does the new crank fit in the old cases?

And you are talking big-end, correct?

I will do as usual and run lots of oil in my early one, since that is what I have. Hopefully it holds up.

Does the new crank fit in the old cases?

And you are talking big-end, correct?
belive the crank fit in all different versions of the crankcases, and yes, its the big end we're speaking about.

thats true, back in the 90's you never really knew what you bought, their IPL's are not really 100% true, and some of the changes wasnt even in any of their IPL's ;)
After watching 242 - 254 - 262, all the small upgrade/downgrade they went through, I got a few favourite years/ultimate builds.
262, ruffly late 93 or newer bottom part + KS + hda87, with a flywheel from 1996.
254, ruffly late 93 or newer bottom part + KS jug from 86 to midd 87, flywheel from 1996.
242 is easy though, late 1994 up to late 1995, they are in my book the 242 hot rods.

Thanks for all the good info! :D

With the 242 and 154/254 the power specs also changed trough the years (up) - while they never did with the 262, as long as the model was sold on "Western" markets.
What happened later is a bit obscure to me though, all I know about that is that the very late "third world" 262 had the specs adjusted slightly down. I don't know for sure where those saws were made, but believe Brazil is a good guess?

stronger crank, Husqvarna updated both the 254 and 262 with a bigger con rod bearing in middle of the year 1993.

They did the same with the 242 class in the middle of year 1994, bigger con rod bearing.

Here is a service bulletin about the change (on the 262 etc).

Attachments

• SB 254, 262, 257 Crank bearings 1993-09.pdf
    16.3 KB · Views: 19
and what makes the newer cases desirable? My guess is the mag clutch cover compatibility...

tho the plastic clutch cover seems to be a good piece itself.

I attach a service bulletin about the Mag cover (etc.), and compatibility with older cases.

Attachments

• SB 254XP, 257, 262XP Mag clutch cover, Chain brake 1996-05.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back