• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 266xp mint $425 now shipped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder if @SawTroll would have any fun facts on this unit?

Not really fun, but it is a well known fact that the 266xp was made at the Tomos/ Koper factory in Yugoslavia, then Slovenia, for a long time after production stopped in Sweden.

Tomos is the name of an area (looks like an industrial area on the Google map) of the Town/City of Koper, Slovenia - but there also are other places called Tomos in Slovenia. Maybe the factory was moved some time, or maybe not?
Edit; The Tomos in question was/is the one in Koper.

There is a long list of Husky models that were made there after production was stopped in Sweden, starting with the 65L and 77L in 1974, but most of the production likely was for Eastern Europe and "third world" markets. There were exceptions though, and the 266 was one of them - they were sold here at least up to 1997, and likely in Canada for about as long. The replacement of the 266xp by the 268xp in the late 1980s mainly happened on the US market.

The saws made there didn't use the exact same numbering/tag color system as other Huskys, but it is a fair guess that this saw was made in 1994 week 45 (only the color of the tag is "off", if that is the case).

The list of models made at Tomos/Koper does at least include the following models, according to assorted sources;

65L, 77L, 285CD, 480CD, 162SE, 444SE, 44, 61 (?), 66, 266XP, 480K power cutter, and the 165 clearing saw.

I don't know, but assume this production was terminated at some point, and Huskys own factory in Brazil took over making discontinued in Sweden models. Something to look further into....

Here is an old post from 2007:

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 27 -- Husqvarna AB has acquired from Group Tomos for an undisclosed amount a chainsaw business located in Koper, Slovenia. Group Tomos, a Slovene company, has made Husqvarna chainsaws for many years under license. As a result of this transaction the sales of this Koper business are expected to grow, particularly through exports. Slovenia is presently implementing a privatization program aimed at transferring ownership to citizens through certificates issued free of cost and redeemable for shares in Slovene companies. This investment by Husqvarna represents one of few cases of foreign direct investment since Slovenia's independence in June 1991. The International Finance Corporation (IFC) acted as the financial and strategic adviser to Tomos in this transaction. Husqvarna AB, a Swedish company, member of the Electrolux Group, is the world's leading chainsaw manufacturer. IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest multilateral source of equity and loan financing for private se
ctor projects in developing countries and also provides advisory services to businesses and governments.

Not really fun, but it is a well known fact that the 266xp was made at the Tomos/ Koper factory in Yugoslavia, then Slovenia, for a long time after production stopped in Sweden.

Tomos is the name of an area (looks like an industrial area on the Google map) of the Town/City of Koper, Slovenia - but there also are other places called Tomos in Slovenia. Maybe the factory was moved some time, or maybe not?
Edit; The Tomos in question was/is the one in Koper.

There is a long list of Husky models that were made there after production was stopped in Sweden, starting with the 65L and 77L in 1974, but most of the production likely was for Eastern Europe and "third world" markets. There were exceptions though, and the 266 was one of them - they were sold here at least up to 1997, and likely in Canada for about as long. The replacement of the 266xp by the 268xp in the late 1980s mainly happened on the US market.

The saws made there didn't use the exact same numbering/tag color system as other Huskys, but it is a fair guess that this saw was made in 1994 week 45 (only the color of the tag is "off", if that is the case).
Great info thanks!

If I considered buying this saw, I would like to see a picture of the text and number on the cylinder first. I don't suspect anything is wrong at all, but I'd want to be sure.

Nothing serious. Was offered $475 shipped on eBay but declined because of fees. Not in thinking I should have taken it! I looked at a 60's or 70's Massey Ferguson 135 yesterday. Just trying to raise funds!

Latest posts

Back