268xp Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seahawksboy

Reaction score
I got a 268xp off craigslist couple years ago for $35. Didn't know too much at the time, ran it too lean, seized up. I then got a cheap 272xp cylinder kit off eBay, rebuilt it, got it running well, then lost all compression. Pulled it apart and the cylinder was scored pretty badly and the piston and ring were melted together. I'm guessing this was because the parts were just really cheap because I made sure to tune it right. Would it be worth it to grab a higher quality kit and a bigger bar (it's only running a 16" bar) and get it back into shape? If it is worth it, I would love some recommendations for a new kit to rebuild this thing. Also, if you think that something else caused it to score let me know.

I got a 268xp off craigslist couple years ago for $35. Didn't know too much at the time, ran it too lean, seized up. I then got a cheap 272xp cylinder kit off eBay, rebuilt it, got it running well, then lost all compression. Pulled it apart and the cylinder was scored pretty badly and the piston and ring were melted together. I'm guessing this was because the parts were just really cheap because I made sure to tune it right. Would it be worth it to grab a higher quality kit and a bigger bar (it's only running a 16" bar) and get it back into shape? If it is worth it, I would love some recommendations for a new kit to rebuild this thing. Also, if you think that something else caused it to score let me know.
Welcome to the site.

Generally speaking when a top end seizes up there is a reason and if not discovered and remedied it will happen as often as you put new top ends on it. If you have the gear do a pressure/vac test. Do both, as many times a seal will leak under vac but not under pressure. If you don't have the stuff to do this then I'd just replace the crankshaft seals and the o-ring that seals the oil pump to the case. This is a dealer only o-ring and I would strongly suggest OEM seals as well. Both seals and o-ring cost about $20 even at partstree. Cheap Chinese P&C kits are notoriously hit or miss.. I would look for a scrapped 272 or 268XP with a decent jug and go with a new Meteor piston......use quality parts and do the job thoroughly and you'll be rewarded with a top notch saw.

Am I reading this correctly? Your running a 16’ bar on a 268XP? And you paid $35 for it? Like Thirty Five dollars?

Am I reading this correctly? Your running a 16’ bar on a 268XP? And you paid $35 for it? Like Thirty Five dollars?
Yeah, it was a guy's dad's saw that he just wanted out of his garage. The bar was just the one that it came with, I haven't had it running long enough to buy another bar. It just needed a little carb work to get it running, which I did and then ran it lean :(

Welcome to the site.

Generally speaking when a top end seizes up there is a reason and if not discovered and remedied it will happen as often as you put new top ends on it. If you have the gear do a pressure/vac test. Do both, as many times a seal will leak under vac but not under pressure. If you don't have the stuff to do this then I'd just replace the crankshaft seals and the o-ring that seals the oil pump to the case. This is a dealer only o-ring and I would strongly suggest OEM seals as well. Both seals and o-ring cost about $20 even at partstree. Cheap Chinese P&C kits are notoriously hit or miss.. I would look for a scrapped 272 or 268XP with a decent jug and go with a new Meteor piston......use quality parts and do the job thoroughly and you'll be rewarded with a top notch saw.
What would be my best bet for getting a used jug? The only thing I can think of is scouring eBay or praying that one pops up on craigslist.

268XP and 272XP used P/C's show up on Ebay often enough. WAY better to wait for one than to mess with $25 Chinese garbage.....IMHO.

Also put up a thread in the Trading Post. I was able to get a really nice P/C for a 266SE that way. Lots of folks on here sell parts and will probably have something decent laying around that will fit your needs.......

What would be my best bet for getting a used jug? The only thing I can think of is scouring eBay or praying that one pops up on craigslist.
Post up in the “chainsaw parts“ section of the trading post here.

I bought two 272 p+c from here over the years. A new AM for 20 bucks and used OE for $35. They exist.

And please, like cant dog said, figure out why you are burning too ends before you rebuild.

I will refrain from giving you a hard time for being a Seahawks fan. Hope you get the project figured out!

Back