288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, as a rule- I was always a Jonsered fan from back in the 80's when I was first introduced to the red saws and bought my first one.
Had handled Husqvarna saws, but liked the more square front handle alignment of the Jonsered better, so never saw the need to go down the orange track.
All of my work saws of late have been Stihl's and I have a few as personal saws- but still have a real liking for the red cased Swedish saws.

BUT......... I just got wind of a saw service shop that is closing down and liquidating the pile of unclaimed or uneconomic repairs.
Lots of the usual homeowner saws are in the line up, 30-50 cc plastic cased......... guessing staff got first option on the "good"saws?
However, one jumped out at me as "interesting"in the form of an older 288XP. Just the powerhead, no bar or chain and is missing at least the air filter- possibly more.
Paid a bit more than I perhaps should have, but good 70cc+ saws do not show up often here, least not unless they are a well used MS660 or 661 that has been a fallers saw and well used- but still commanding 2/3rds the price of a new one! I handed over the equivalent of $55 US- sight unseen.

Now, if it was an uneconomic repair the original owner decided they did not want repaired and did not pick up, I am willing to bet I will be at the very least be looking at a new piston and ring at the best case scenario- worst case the bottom end is gone and the cylinder is toast as well.
Bit of a gamble, but nothing ventured nothing gained..... right?

Will post photos when the saw arrives.

Anything to be wary of? Anything specific to this model to be wary of, or parts that are no longer available?
Are there other model parts that are interchangeable- like say shared between the 266, 272 and the 288? Things like chain brake assemblies or clutch covers, clutch......... ?

Cool!

288xp is on my list. Keep us posted. You put 288xp in the thread title and I’ll definitely read it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Cool!

288xp is on my list. Keep us posted. You put 288xp in the thread title and I’ll definitely read it.

I know a fella in state that has a runner for a pretty reasonable price. PM me if interested and I can give details and put you in touch.

I know a fella in state that has a runner for a pretty reasonable price. PM me if interested and I can give details and put you in touch.

I greatly appreciate it. I have a few expensive things scheduled in the next few months. Porting and then i need a 372.

181, 281, 288 share parts.

Cheers for that, when it comes to Husqvarna- I do not really know the in's and out's.
Was a bit worried it was going to be a restricted family of parts shaing donors and for some reason the 70-80cc saws were never that popular here.
The 60cc pro group are more common in the semi serious stakes and if you worked in the bush it was 90-100cc or you went home with your tail between your legs!

I can verify that most of the 181-28* series parts match as my brother's got a 181 set of cases and covers with a decomp 288 cylinder on it. If we could get the darn thing running I'd expound its greatness to you, but I can't. I can give a pic from a few years back of me running a 281 with a 42 inch bar though. If you want to run a big bar on it, I'd recommend getting one of the front dog springs if it doesn't have it already. Without it the saw will just fall on its face, literally.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10e9f.jpg

I can verify that most of the 181-28* series parts match as my brother's got a 181 set of cases and covers with a decomp 288 cylinder on it. If we could get the darn thing running I'd expound its greatness to you, but I can't. I can give a pic from a few years back of me running a 281 with a 42 inch bar though. If you want to run a big bar on it, I'd recommend getting one of the front dog springs if it doesn't have it already. Without it the saw will just fall on its face, literally.
View attachment 779330

Wow, that is a whole lot of bar out there in front of you. With one of those I could near limb in the next province. :chainsaw:
Not sure of the year of manufacture yet- but I know it is a decomp cylinder and has the big front spring you mention.
Was thinking of it covering the 30-36"range for me. I have a nice Sugi Hara 30"bar here that is not on a saw- it is a Stihl mount though and would require an adapter plate...... but that is all in the future, will have to see how bad or how good the powerhead is first. ;)

The 181/281/288 series weak point in the case. Check under the bar plate and around the bar studs. The entire clutch side case is known to have several weak point. Also, check the three bolt holes that tighten the top cover down, the tend to wallow out pretty bad.

All parts are still available for the 288xp (except for the high top cover and the corresponding air filter mount).

If you're in north america and need parts let me know, I have a fair amount.

The 181/281/288 series weak point in the case. Check under the bar plate and around the bar studs. The entire clutch side case is known to have several weak point. Also, check the three bolt holes that tighten the top cover down, the tend to wallow out pretty bad.

All parts are still available for the 288xp (except for the high top cover and the corresponding air filter mount).

If you're in north america and need parts let me know, I have a fair amount.

Cheers Tom, thank you for the gracious offer- but the freight might be a killer...... I live at the bottom of the Southern Island of a little place called New Zealand. ;)

I used a ported one breaking it in. Very impressive for its size a tad bigger over a 266se. I have two right now in my pile of huskys. I definitely had to have some in my collection.

I just got a 281 awhile back but having problems with the spring mounts. Please post some pictures. And good luck Sir.
Yep, photos will be put up soon as the powerhead arrives- should be with the couriers today, then has to ship interisland, then get transferred to rural delivery.......... 3-5 days I am expecting........ :(

But, in the meanwhile- who knows if the chain brake "flag" plastic handguard is the same on a 288 as say a 272, 268, 262?
Seems the one I am getting, the brake flag is snapped off not far past where it mounts to the side cover- but as a plus, apparently the rest of the chain brake works as it should! :omg:

Yep, photos will be put up soon as the powerhead arrives- should be with the couriers today, then has to ship interisland, then get transferred to rural delivery.......... 3-5 days I am expecting........ :(

But, in the meanwhile- who knows if the chain brake "flag" plastic handguard is the same on a 288 as say a 272, 268, 262?
Seems the one I am getting, the brake flag is snapped off not far past where it mounts to the side cover- but as a plus, apparently the rest of the chain brake works as it should! :omg:
Brake flag on a 288 is about 1 1/2" taller on the 288 vs the 272

Brake flag on a 288 is about 1 1/2" taller on the 288 vs the 272
So, model specific so to say - be the same as 181 or 281 but not the smaller saws.
Though it might be too easy of a thought.
All I can find online locally is "aftermarket" complete side covers that they are asking more than what I paid for the saw for....... will keep looking.

Clutch, clutch drum, clutch bearing, crank, crank bearings, crank seals, oil pump gear and washer, brake flag are all the same as a 394. The flywheel has a different part number but, I've seen a 288 run with a 394 flywheel, the keyway looks to be in the same location (they look identical to me).

Back