288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the list of parts is getting long but you will enjoy the journey and when it finally sinks its teeth into a log it will feel a little bit sweeter too.

That's a positive at least. As long as you never paid top dollar for it anyway I guess

Top dollar? Heck no!
I near stole it..... but with a scratched off serial number it may not be the first time that has happened to this saw. :surprised3:

I had this basket case 281 given to by a co worker, engine was locked up and missing parts. I put many hrs into fixing this saw and it was so worth it.
It has become one of my favourite saws to run.
What kind of paint did you use on the muffler? Did you polish the plastics? Saw looks awesome, very nice work.

Following OP's project to see where this goes... I'd have bought it for that price too, what a steal (literally and figuratively, given the tag).

What kind of paint did you use on the muffler? Did you polish the plastics? Saw looks awesome, very nice work.

Following OP's project to see where this goes... I'd have bought it for that price too, what a steal (literally and figuratively, given the tag).

I was very lucky with this saw, the bottom end was great and the piston was only locked up from years of storage without a spark plug and filter, after i unstuck it i found the piston/cylinder great, just needed new rings and a real good crankcase cleanout.
The plastics were great underneath the oil/dirt and grime, lots of crc and rags later.
The muffler was cleaned of rust with steel wool and light sanding then multiple coats of wood heater paint, it turned out more a grey than black though.

I was very lucky with this saw, the bottom end was great and the piston was only locked up from years of storage without a spark plug and filter, after i unstuck it i found the piston/cylinder great, just needed new rings and a real good crankcase cleanout.
The plastics were great underneath the oil/dirt and grime, lots of crc and rags later.
The muffler was cleaned of rust with steel wool and light sanding then multiple coats of wood heater paint, it turned out more a grey than black though.
You did a great job on that muffler. It's hard to believe it is the same one that came on the saw! :clap:

Whilst that is true, we are closer- the shipping takes at least as long.
There is a local agent just down the road a bit (45 miles) that has the major parts I am needing- including a Meteor piston & cylinder kit- which I am kind of deciding is needed.
Piston is scored, ring is stuck in the groove and the cylinder is marked.
Too marked? Maybe not- but the agents do not have just the Meteor piston kit in stock.

I would try to clean up the Oem cylinder.

Yes, I know you would- and at a later date, I might as well.
Thing is, locally I can get some kind of pot metal piston aftermarket for around $30US, the Meteor P&C kit for $100-120 US.
I could grab the much lesser quality AM piston and try it in the OEM cylinder- hope for the best.
Or I go for the in stock Meteor P&C kit, get the thing running to a point of where it can be used and have the saw in rotation, save the OEM for later when it can be worked on at my leisure and have time to find a good piston and ring.

Whilst that is true, we are closer- the shipping takes at least as long.
There is a local agent just down the road a bit (45 miles) that has the major parts I am needing- including a Meteor piston & cylinder kit- which I am kind of deciding is needed.
Piston is scored, ring is stuck in the groove and the cylinder is marked.
Too marked? Maybe not- but the agents do not have just the Meteor piston kit in stock.

Hello Bob, I've just spoken to the owner of the said establishment in Invercargill as I have just ordered some parts for a 266se and he does actually have stock of the Meteor 288xp piston kits. They have just arrived and he obviously hasn't had time to update the website. Perhaps give them a call.

Hello Bob, I've just spoken to the owner of the said establishment in Invercargill as I have just ordered some parts for a 266se and he does actually have stock of the Meteor 288xp piston kits. They have just arrived and he obviously hasn't had time to update the website. Perhaps give them a call.

Cheers for that- handy place down there ;)
Will probably be after Christmas now when I put a parts order in- going to town this time of year is something I try to avoid!
However, I was talking to a Husqvarna agent down here today and he wants to see the saw- something about certain test bed saws that were here that had a slightly oversized bore and ring, sent here to test while they were working on the next generation 3 series saws.
Not sure if there is anything in that or not- never heard similar- but I know both of the big players send test saws here before they are released to the public and I am not any kind of Husqvarna agent...... so who knows. But he did say OEM rings are on backorder until the 20th of next month.
So maybe, I just slap a Meteor kit on, save the OEM bits, take them in and get them looked at- see if it is some kind of special one off test bed! :eek:

i'll just say a cheapo piston/pin/clips could take out a good jug.
meteor stuff seems ok, ime, so far... 044 10mm piston, is one im usin right now.
i have a pretty good 288 piston n ring. u want it?

Cheers for the offer- but the shipping to the bottom of the South Pacific might kill the deal.
Yeah, I would not go jamming some pig iron piston from an unknown identity into an OEM cylinder, but have had a pretty good run with Meteor pistons in Jonsered and Stihl cylinders in the past- I do not have a problem with them.

Latest posts

Back