288xp dying when rolled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsonwg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 288XP is primarily used for milling so it‘s on it’s side most of the time. However when I get through the cut and flip the saw right side up it will die unless I nurse it for a second. Other than that it runs great. Any thoughts?

My 288XP is primarily used for milling so it‘s on it’s side most of the time. However when I get through the cut and flip the saw right side up it will die unless I nurse it for a second. Other than that it runs great. Any thoughts?
One thought, bad crank seal. Another ,fuel line damaged.

I did a pressure and vacuum test and both checked out so I will go over the fuel lines.
You can pressure test the lines. That’s the best way. Sometimes, if the saw is running a touch rich, it’ll create a small puddle of fuel in the intake. When you roll it, it dumps it. Just something to try.

That would make since because I know I am running it just a little rich because I just it a new piston and cylinder on it. Checked the fuel line and it’s good. May go ahead an lean it out just a little and may replace seals as well just to be safe. It is an old saw and who know how long it sat before I got it

That would make since because I know I am running it just a little rich because I just it a new piston and cylinder on it. Checked the fuel line and it’s good. May go ahead an lean it out just a little and may replace seals as well just to be safe. It is an old saw and who know how long it sat before I got it
Maybe recheck vac/press test. Do the vac first. Let it sit. If it holds, it holds.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll recheck it at some point this week. Last time I checked it I did the vac test first and let it sit for around ten minutes at 8 inches of Mercur.

Possible fuel pooling in the intake tract somewhere? Stihl 026/260s were bad for that. Lean out the "L" a little bit and see if it goes away. Does it stumble on return to idle while it is still on its side?

No it doesn’t stumble at all on its side or if I am running it upright. I can even move it back and forth and it’s fine. Just after it has been on its side for a while does it do it. And it doesn’t always do It immediately, sometimes it will keep idling normally for 2 seconds or so then stumble. If I tickle the throttle for a time or two it’s fine.

Back