288xp milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsliverDan

Chip flinger
Reaction score
I have a 288xp I would like to use for milling. My current dilemma is rather I should just use 36" bar with it, which won't max out my 36" Alaskan. Or if the saw would be able to run a 42" bar which would allow me to use the full 36" of mill. I am worried I will be asking too much of the saw.. I have a tip oiler so oil issue my concerns. Thanks.

Get the longer bar.

Reasoning

If you are milling something that requires the longer bar then you can keep a chain for that purpose with higher rakers so that the chain is chipping less wood with each tooth. You just go slow and let the saw dictate the pace, no rushing.
The type of wood will make a difference and how sharp your chain is will make a difference.

I have milled 30 inch cuts, using a 36 inch bar with a Husqvarna 61 in willow and spruce. It was slow but the saw did fine as long as the chain was sharp. Part of the slowness was I had the rakers pretty high.

Also the granberg style ripping chains where there are scoring teeth and clearing teeth are easier for the saw to pull. I found this style of chain hard (never figured it out) to file sharpen but ok on a bench grinder type sharpener( this sharpener is so much better for me).

Good luck :)

I am looking for a 394/395 in my price range as well. I just picked the 288 up for a great deal. It's an amazing saw! What 42" bar do you suggest? I was looking at 36" in tsumura.

Back