29 pound mega monster maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't type that, she did:

View attachment 411762
She really knows her physics.

I wish - it's pouring on top of all the snow that's still here. The snow packed up behind the barn has blocked the drainage and the stalls are flooding, plus the snow has finally come off the roof and the big berm it made is preventing it from draining out. I gotta go out and dig some trenches through the snow. Oh, and one of the downspouts came off so I'll need to get the ladder out. And it's still pouring.
Google "sleigh shovel", and your welcome. Shoveling will never be the same.

Google "sleigh shovel", and your welcome. Shoveling will never be the same.
Looks like it would work well for actual snow, but old snow that's been melting and re-freezing for a week, and then fallen off a barn roof on top of the ice that's already there calls for something else. Like a pick mattock!

Hey folks and mostly to the OP...I know last evening the posts got comedic to say the least, and I certainly fueled the 'Anheuser Busch train'...at least I had a first class ticket on it. In all seriousness and respect to the OP and anyone else who can swing such an implement,,, more power to ya. I know I don't want anything to do swinging anything like that. At 47, I simply don't heal nor recover like I used to at an earlier age and I'll be the first to admit it. A tool a quarter or third the weight simply fits my hands a heap better, even if a strike or two additional is necessary. Just sayin.

Hey folks and mostly to the OP...I know last evening the posts got comedic to say the least, and I certainly fueled the 'Anheuser Busch train'...at least I had a first class ticket on it. In all seriousness and respect to the OP and anyone else who can swing such an implement,,, more power to ya. I know I don't want anything to do swinging anything like that. At 47, I simply don't heal nor recover like I used to at an earlier age and I'll be the first to admit it. A tool a quarter or third the weight simply fits my hands a heap better, even if a strike or two additional is necessary. Just sayin.
Ya, at 45 I probably won't be slinging this thing for too many more years. When I'm 60 I plan to switch to the 15 pound maul and then at 80 I think the fiskars will have to do.
Just kidding. I agree we don't heal like we used to. I think it'll be fun for a while but I'm definitely not going to overdo it.

Ya, at 45 I probably won't be slinging this thing for too many more years. When I'm 60 I plan to switch to the 15 pound maul and then at 80 I think the fiskars will have to do.
Just kidding. I agree we don't heal like we used to. I think it'll be fun for a while but I'm definitely not going to overdo it.

I bet you could make money with it at the local county fair, plus get your wood split! So much a swing, proly be all sorts of dudes pony up to try it.

I bet you could make money with it at the local county fair, plus get your wood split! So much a swing, proly be all sorts of dudes pony up to try it.

That's funny. Truthfully I have invited many of my friends who usually go to the gym to work out to come over to my "gym". I will charge them half the price and they'll get a lot better work out.
#1. Push a wheelbarrow full of wood up a steep hill out of the valley.
#2. Hand Load a trailer full of 75 to 150 pound logs
#3. Split 20 to 30 inch round oak logs with that 29 pound maul.
#4. Push a wheel barrel full of logs through the snow up to the house.
For some reason I haven't gotten any positive response. LOL

I think the idea of that thing is to burn less wood for the simple reason being that after swinging it for a while you're gonna sleep through the night weather it's 70* or 45* in the house.

You should just split wood with it in the house. The body should generate enough heat to keep the house warm in itself. Won't need to actually burn any wood, so you'll have to haul the wood back out when you're done splitting it.

Usually what happens in life is brute force is used when technique is lacking. I cant think of any reason to own or swing a 29 lb maul.

What kind of wood were you splitting?
Sorry for the late response. It's a piece of very wet maple.

Sorry for the late response. It's a piece of very wet maple.
I just split a whole hard maple tree with my Fiskars this past weekend. Had no problem, chunks right up to 20" diameter cut 18-20" long. My co-worker that I was cutting the tree for was shocked that I was splitting green wood, "never seen anyone split green wood like that". lol

Happy splitting.

I just split a whole hard maple tree with my Fiskars this past weekend. Had no problem, chunks right up to 20" diameter cut 18-20" long. My co-worker that I was cutting the tree for was shocked that I was splitting green wood, "never seen anyone split green wood like that". lol

Happy splitting.
Yes I agree that Fiskars is a very nice and well designed splitting implement. It feels like a toy when you first pick it up but man does it do a great job.

I want one! It would be great for teaching children a leason. You did wrong again... time to go split some wood and think about it... you can come back in after 1/4 of a chord and hand him the monster maul ...:chop:

;)

OK I was going to go the predictable argue physics, the old kinetic energy = one half mass time velocity squared but some folks don't care for that argument.

Here is mine.

Nice splitting mauls hang on the wall underneath a favorite print of the breed of dogs you hunt. A real man NEVER uses said tool so decades from now Firewood afficniados will bid the NOS to insane dollar amounts many multiples of the original price.

301oxvl.jpg

You can try them all, (they $suck).

2i89lr5.jpg

Serious firewood producers just wimp out and get a splitter. FWIW, here is a chart of the energy in gasoline, pretty potent stuff for the density but near as good as uranium and thorium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

OK I was going to go the predictable argue physics, the old kinetic energy = one half mass time velocity squared but some folks don't care for that argument.

Here is mine.

Nice splitting mauls hang on the wall underneath a favorite print of the breed of dogs you hunt. A real man NEVER uses said tool so decades from now Firewood afficniados will bid the NOS to insane dollar amounts many multiples of the original price.

301oxvl.jpg

You can try them all, (they $suck).

2i89lr5.jpg

Serious firewood producers just wimp out and get a splitter. FWIW, here is a chart of the energy in gasoline, pretty potent stuff for the density but near as good as uranium and thorium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
Let me know the next time a 20 foot diameter 12 foot tall tank of gas can produce 1000 megawatts continuously for a year and then you refill it about 1/4 full and it is ready to go another year. Gasoline can't begin to come close to nuclear in the real world. Don't even get me started on how reliable "facts" are on Wikipedia.

Let me know the next time a 20 foot diameter 12 foot tall tank of gas can produce 1000 megawatts continuously for a year and then you refill it about 1/4 full and it is ready to go another year. Gasoline can't begin to come close to nuclear in the real world. Don't even get me started on how reliable "facts" are on Wikipedia.
Most reactors go 2 years not 1. Some are 18 month refuel cycles.

Fossil fueled aircraft carriers had a range of around 12,000 miles. Nuclear carriers have unlimited range and 20-25 year refueling schedule. A slight difference.

At least you're making real sense of the discussion...I've been on a few different nuclear-powered aircraft carriers in my Marine Corps yrs and aviation adventures.

Latest posts

Back