290 to 390 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont have a tester atm...just by pulling on it seems good but I know thats not exact
Might try putting the timing back where it was, you have to start somewhere. I just finished my third 290 to 390 conversion with a cheap $25 china kit, it runs like a scalded dog with only a muffler mod. Easily cuts anything i put it into, mostly oak in the 18 to 20 inch diameter.

Dont have a tester atm...just by pulling on it seems good but I know thats not exact
A rough test is to pick the saw up by the pull rope. With the pop-up piston the engine should not turn over. With yours being non-compression release was it new old stock or off a used saw? The one I posted the picture of is from 1992.

A rough test is to pick the saw up by the pull rope. With the pop-up piston the engine should not turn over. With yours being non-compression release was it new old stock or off a used saw?
Putting the port modification into the equation, was port timing changed, port width or just an enhancement/polish?

Might try putting the timing back where it was, you have to start somewhere. I just finished my third 290 to 390 conversion with a cheap $25 china kit, it runs like a scalded dog with only a muffler mod. Easily cuts anything i put it into, mostly oak in the 18 to 20 inch diameter.
The ignition timing would be interesting. The ones I have experience with have the key built into the flywheel right?Screenshot_2020-03-31-12-12-40.png

Back