• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 298xp parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLASHdjse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone out there have 298xp flywheel and starter or have any idea where to find said parts? Or any possible upgrades in that area

I definitely have a 298 flywheel.

Other option is to go to a 2100/2101/1100 flywheel.

298 is 2 pawl 2101/2100/1100 is 3 pawl.

Always make sure the flywheel matches the coil, there are a couple different starter covers (different depths), and different starter pulley for the 2 pawl vs 3 pawl flywheel.

So after some more research I have a 3 pawl now so I'm assuming 2100 as I can faintly see a 21 on the cover

2100/2101 have manual oiler that is built into the tank. 298 is same as 2100 minus the manual oiler, 1100 also has no manual oiler and has different top cover + different throttle linkage.

Flywheel/coil combinations work on all above mentioned. So, could be 2100 flywheel on a 298 or possibly a 298 tank on a 2100.

Either way, 3 pawl is easier to find starter parts for.

My problem is all three springs on the pawls are not returning and it will turn over without a bar but not with one

My problem is all three springs on the pawls are not returning and it will turn over without a bar but not with one
The pawl springs are replaceable so, that's not a huge problem.

So, it rotates freely without a bar and chain on it but, it won't rotate when the bar and chain is installed?

If that's the case, I'd pull the clutch assembly to make sure it's not binding. A damaged/broken clutch can make it lock up intermittently.

Feel free to private message me and send me some pictures, I'm happy to try and help you get it sorted out.

The pawl springs are replaceable so, that's not a huge problem.

So, it rotates freely without a bar and chain on it but, it won't rotate when the bar and chain is installed?

If that's the case, I'd pull the clutch assembly to make sure it's not binding. A damaged/broken clutch can make it lock up intermittently.

Feel free to private message me and send me some pictures, I'm happy to try and help you get it sorted out.
Its like the compression stops it when a bar is on it but the pull cord/starter pulls it easy without a bar

Its like the compression stops it when a bar is on it but the pull cord/starter pulls it easy without a bar
Yeah, that needs further diagnosis. Could also be a bad clutch drum bearing.

The only thing that connects the flywheel side (engine) to the bar and chain is the clutch and clutch drum. So, the problem is most likely in that area.

You need to rip it all apart and see what's going on. It's not a big deal and should only take a couple minutes.

Yeah, that needs further diagnosis. Could also be a bad clutch drum bearing.

The only thing that connects the flywheel side (engine) to the bar and chain is the clutch and clutch drum. So, the problem is most likely in that area.

You need to rip it all apart and see what's going on. It's not a big deal and should only take a couple minutes.
Whats crazy is i had no problems start and ran fine until I broke the pull cord and put a smaller bar on it and now the problems

Back