2nd woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you had the money, and knowing your current stove will be discontinued from the new emissions regulations, would you buy a second one? I'm thinking as a spare. I can get one about 30% off.

There will still be a ton of stoves around that are not to the new epa regs, you can find non epa stoves a dime a dozen. Firewood burners tend to be frugal and resourceful...
It's not like they are gonna do cash for clunkers and destroy them anytime soon...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you had the money, and knowing your current stove will be discontinued from the new emissions regulations, would you buy a second one? I'm thinking as a spare. I can get one about 30% off.
I did just what you're asking.
Two years ago I sold the 'smoke dragon' Century wood stove and bought a new EPA stove in place.
It's a Drolet HT 2000 with reburn technology and works great and is much more efficient to boot.
Still have a older Napoleon sitting in the corner that was given to me.
Not sure what will happen to it yet.

Years ago there was a stove built locally called the Lincoln stove looked like two propane tank ends welded together was built in a couple different models. When the first wavy of EPA reg's came around it put him out of business. I had three already two in the house and one in the shop. He had to close them out and I bought the last 10 he had for penny's on the dollar. I sold the three used ones I had put three new ones in and sold the rest and made some money the folks that bought that house 16 years ago are still using those stoves. Once an a while one of the Lincoln stoves comes up on CL for sale and it gone right away. Folks seem to like them not much to look at but work great.

I also got rid of the non EPA wood burner and went with a secondary burn one. I dont burn any less wood but the house is warmer from the same amount of wood and there is no smoke from the chimney as well as longer burn times. I'm not running anything fancy either.

My daughter purchased a house with a woodstove in the basement and a coal stove in the kitchen. The woodstove needed new firebrick. I fabricated new heavy angle frames I welded in and slid in firebrick. I rebuilt her stove.

I picked up a temp wood top loader wood stove for my monster garage, I had another toploader in my shed. When we moved I took both toploaders with us that’s 13 years ago. I’m using one toploader to heat the house. It’s time to rebuild it with new firebrick. I’m going to swap out my toploaders while I rebuild the one we been using.
I like toploaders there very good at wood consumption. With a damper on the pipe I can control how much heat goes up the chimney. Having two temp gauges, one on the stove and the other on the pipe I control the burn time in the stove too.

I like the option of disposing of things in mine and burning green/awful wood, scrap lumber etc, until recently I rarely had anything seasoned at all.. Tore down my house and the entire house except the useable lumber, green treat, insulation, wallboard, flooring, and shingles went thru the stove.

With that being said, its not terribly efficient and can be quite smoky, so gotta chose your burn based on the prevailing wind. It was a lot of work but probably saved a couple thousand in dumping costs on the house project. By the time my stove is shot I hope to have my place cleaned up and just burn seasoned wood anyway.

My daughter purchased a house with a woodstove in the basement and a coal stove in the kitchen. The woodstove needed new firebrick. I fabricated new heavy angle frames I welded in and slid in firebrick. I rebuilt her stove.

I picked up a temp wood top loader wood stove for my monster garage, I had another toploader in my shed. When we moved I took both toploaders with us that’s 13 years ago. I’m using one toploader to heat the house. It’s time to rebuild it with new firebrick. I’m going to swap out my toploaders while I rebuild the one we been using.
I like toploaders there very good at wood consumption. With a damper on the pipe I can control how much heat goes up the chimney. Having two temp gauges, one on the stove and the other on the pipe I control the burn time in the stove too.
I also have a damper on the pipe and it works like a charm to keep the heat in the house.
A thermometer on the pipe is a must if you ask me.
Lets me control burn times as well as telling me if I'm in the burn zone for gasses and creosote.

Back