3/4 cord fit in a pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergy1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can 3/4 cord fit in a pickup, just told full size. Have a guy selling wood stating he is selling 3/4 cord just thrown into his pickup. From my experience that would be very hard to do if not impossible.

Don't know if he has boards on the side, but from what I gathered he does not.

If you are talking about a face cord (16 in. wide 4 ft tall by 8 ft. long ) which is a third of a full cord...you should be able to get a face cord in a full size six ft box...it might be heaping a bit..in our area that would sell for about 50.00 you pick up...DW:)

Only if its stacked tightly and he has sideboards and its mounded as high as the cab, and then he's gonna have to have a stout 3/4 ton supension:popcorn:

Can 3/4 cord fit in a pickup, just told full size. Have a guy selling wood stating he is selling 3/4 cord just thrown into his pickup. From my experience that would be very hard to do if not impossible.

The only way that I can fit a cord in my truck (3/4 ton) is by hauling them log length and using my boat rack to allow me to stack up to the top of the cab. If they are stove length then I have to add panels, but still have to stack.

Based on what you know so far ("just thrown into his pickup" and "boards on the side, from what I gathered he [has none]"), I would say that he cannot fit 3/4 cord into a pickup in that fashion.

HTH

3/4's of a cord is 96 cu. ft. so if his bed is roughly 8 ft long by 6 ft wide and he stacks it tight and a little more than 2 ft high to make up for the wheel wells he might make it. If he's just chuckin' it in there's no way he'll fit 3/4. That's a ton - literally and figuratively - of wood.

I have put a full cord into 1980 Chev 3/4 tons many times. Stacked. Imagine plywood stacked 4' high. It goes about 1' above the cab. That is more than an 8600lb. truck is meant for, but they never complained.

See my avatar? With the racks raising the sides and loaded packed tight in a 6' box almost cab high, that's 75 cubic feet. You need to add 21 cubic feet to that load to reach 3/4 cord.

Guess I need to start throwing wood into the cab, but my dog sleeping in there might complain. :dizzy:

I can easily fit a cord into my shortbed 3/4 ton. That's 30" rounds cut at 16" stacked as high as the cab. Once split, I can fit roughly 3/4 cord, stacked HIGHER than the cab.

2/3 to 3/4 of a cord in a Ford F-250 long bed with overload springs, no problem. This was 3/4 of a cord of oak, 2 saws, and one cat:

attachment.php

underload

Its split, so its going to be taking up more space than that. Unless you can stack it as tight as a set of legos.

For all the naysayers: I regularly haul 3/4 + of thrown, split wood in my PU. True it is willow so the weight isn't all that out of line but it still takes up the same space as good wood. My pu has cab high racks and I stack the rear end with one rick across to act as a tailgate. I have measured the stacked wood in the rick prior to loading so I know I am hauling an honest 3/4 cord.

For "good" wood (oak and the like)? No way - the weight would be way unreasonalbe unless you have heavy duty everything.

Harry K

Last edited:
I just have a Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 1/2 ton. I cut all my own firewood and the best I can haul is 1/2 of a cord of split oak. :)

For all the naysayers: I regularly haul 3/4 + of thrown, split wood in my PU. True it is willow so the weight isn't all that out of line but it still takes up the same space as good wood. My pu has cab high racks and I stack the rear end with one rick across to act as a tailgate. I have measured the stacked wood in the rick prior to loading so I know I am hauling an honest 3/4 cord.

For "good" wood (oak and the like)? No way - the weight would be way unreasonalbe unless you have heavy duty everything.

Harry K
:agree2:

Without sides on the PU , I'd say no, not stove sized firewood just thrown in the bed. Not if his cord is a legal cord of wood.

If the seller calls (2) 4' x 8' x 16" rows a cord ( instead of 3 rows ), then 3/4 of this 2/3 cord is 1/2 cord. It still isnt 3/4 cord but it easily fits in the bed of a PU, stacked or thrown.

As Windthrown has demonstrated it can be done. Stove sized split firewood piled cab high and filling the bed with side rails would come out to about 3/4 cord.

It's one thing if the buyer and seller agree on the price/size of a PU load after the buyer sees it, but to sell a mule as a thorough bred is just wrong.

When I was selling firewood we delivired our wood, 2 face cord at a time with a 2500 chevy 8' box. We had a single 2x10 for a sideboard, and piled it gently over the boards and stacked the last row. We measured the first one, and told all the customers, if you doubt the measure, we can restack and prove our measure. Now we never took the truck across the scales but i bet we were heavy. And it was a load for a 8600 gvw truck. No way would I sugest treating a 1/2 even with 3/4 springs that way, we should have had a 1 ton. But it can be done.

I routinely deliver a full cord with my 3/4 ton pickup. Stacked over the top of the cab a bit and tapered at the back. It's a BUNCH of weight and you better make sure you've got axles and springs up to it.

A rick or face cord can be just thrown in even with the bedsides.

Back