3/4 cord fit in a pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go again, someone always say's they can get a full cord in a full size pickup bed but it is impossible thrown in loosely, even if you have side rails 3/4 of a cord would be pushing it. That's all I've got to say. I am not posting anymore about it, or going argue about it. If you get a 1/2 a cord heaped with regular pickup box sides, how can you possibly double that.

Last edited:
This thead reminds of one a while back where the question was asked can you haul a full cord on a PU. There were plenty that said no way those of us that have done it and do it regular know it can be done. There is the question of " Do YOU want that much weight on the back of your wood hauler ? I think the original question was in regards to a 1 ton Dodge being able to do it.

I dont own a show piece for a truck so a cord is doable stacked and strapped, of course. It will let out a bellar coming out of the bottomland but it has yet to moan with a good load on.

No way can it be thrown (unstacked) and w/o side boards. You can easily do 3/4 of a cord if it's stacked. I can easily get 1 cord in w/o sideboards, but I have to throw straps over the top to make sure it's secure.

These two loads of freshly cut oak are just under one cord (~.85 to .9), all voids are filled with smaller rounds. This is as much as I feel comfortable carrying w/o straps for any distance.

Loadofwood.jpg

Greenoakload.jpg

I have put a full cord into 1980 Chev 3/4 tons many times. Stacked. Imagine plywood stacked 4' high. It goes about 1' above the cab. That is more than an 8600lb. truck is meant for, but they never complained.

Yes but that's an exception and not the rule. A full sized pickup with the wood thrown in, is allot closer too 1/2 cord then 3/4. Two loads too the cord is the rule of thumb up here if your using a pickup and it's not stacked tight.

Heres what I would do because I dont think its that easy to do in one load-have him bring what he thinks is 3/4 and have it stacked on your location and just measure it pay for what he brings based on how he has it priced and tell him ahead of time thats what you intend to do to be fair.

Here is the other thing you dont have to call him again but thats just me. I probably would still take the full pickup load of wood and not make a big deal out of it I just would not call again if it was a lot short.hth

Kansas

Last edited:
PHP:
I just have a Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 1/2 ton. I cut all my own firewood and the best I can haul is 1/2 of a cord of split oak. :)

I'm with you Rocky, 1/2 ton pickup truck w/ 8 foot bed stacked very neatly and I only fit 1/2 cord. Last month I had to move 4 cords stacked from one end of the property to another and out of curiousity I stacked one of them tight as can be level with the top of the bed - 2 trips for 1 cord. Now this was split wood, as far as logs go I don't know.

The flatbed on my F350 is 9x7 ft, stack the wood 2 ft high on it, crown the middle a little, you've got a cord of wood. With the 1 ft sideboards, just thrown on, you might get 3/4 cord, but it'll be falling off here & there.

I run out of stacking ability and nerve long before I run out of weight capacity.

A cord of seasoned Red Oak tips the scales at 3,800 lbs...I've hauled over 5K of bricks in the bed of my SDF350. Would also bet that most guys on this board with 3/4 ton trucks have had more than 2 ton in it a time or two.

Just look at the pics a couple posts up of the HD Dodge ... he ran out of bed space before weight capacity.

Also: I have a 84' Chevy 1 ton dump with a 10x7x3 box that will handle almost two cord neatly stacked but the weak a$$ 6.2 diesel struggles to move it!

Jeff

Last edited:
No way can it be thrown (unstacked) and w/o side boards. You can easily do 3/4 of a cord if it's stacked. I can easily get 1 cord in w/o sideboards, but I have to throw straps over the top to make sure it's secure.

These two loads of freshly cut oak are just under one cord (~.85 to .9), all voids are filled with smaller rounds. This is as much as I feel comfortable carrying w/o straps for any distance.

Loadofwood.jpg

Greenoakload.jpg

No headache rack?? first panic stop and those rounds will be in the seat with you...

on a half-ton truck, haha, no way

you need an 8ft. bed on a 3/4 ton (minimum) to get even half a cord per load

8x4x2 = 64cu. ft.

where are you gettin' 8,000lbs. at?

Most wood, a half cord is 1800-2200 pounds. A seasoned half cord goes on a F-150/D100/C-10 halfton stacked, without sweating it for weight. A half cord of green wood will make it look loaded. I've grossed 10,800 with wood on the back of a SD F-250. My tare weight is 4760. Thats 6,000 pounds of just wood , I know I was overloaded going across the CO-OP scales. I will put on a cord of green wood to come home and a cord+ to deliver seasoned wood. I wouldnt do this with a 3/8 ton or 1/2 ton PU. The weight of a green half cord just starts to smooth out the ride on a decent 3/4 ton.

If it takes more truck than this just for a half cord then I want to know what wood you are basing this on. If there is wood heavy enough to oveload a 3/4 ton with half of a cord I want some.

Latest posts

Back