3/4" pitch chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
....SO I/m in need of some 3/4 pitch chain. I see the harvester chain, but the gauge is .122, and my disston is .076 I believe...Has anyone tried to grind the drive links down??? Wondering if this can be done.....

....SO I/m in need of some 3/4 pitch chain. I see the harvester chain, but the gauge is .122, and my disston is .076 I believe...Has anyone tried to grind the drive links down??? Wondering if this can be done.....
Some thoughts. . .

Anything can be done. Are you sure that the shape of the drivers will mate with your drive sprocket, etc., as well as the pitch?

You might do it best on a mill, with some type of fixture to hold the cutters consistently.

Thought about having your bar grooved out to .122?

Did your Disston run scratcher chain or modern chain?

Oregon guide states: "Warning: for use on mechanized harvesting equipment only. Do not use on hand-held cutting applications as severe injury to operator or bystanders may result." Not sure if that is just their lawyers talking, or if there are some other issues that need to be considered .

Philbert

I thin the Da-211 came with 9/16 or 3/4.........I was (lucky) enough to get 3/4......sigh........ The problem with the chain is some of the tie straps are broken and 2 of the cutters are completely missing........Whoever had it must have run it REAL hard

Realizing this is an old post......
Hope it's not out of line to add on here so chain info for these old saws is more in one place.

I'm interested in making a sprocket to run .404 harvester chain (80ga) on my KB7AY
It looks wide enough, but even the saw shop could not find a spec for the actual kerf.
Does anyone know what the kerf on new chain is?
For that matter, does anyone know what the kerf/bar clearance was supposed to be for the original scratcher chain?

Thanks for any insights.
smt

The kerf is pretty wide, probably close to 5/16". I was able to modify my Oregon 511a in order to sharpen a loop of it using a 1/4" thick stone. Here's a cutter of what I sharpened:
Big Chain Cutter.jpg
I kept it for a souvenier. I recall the machine that used it threw sawdust some 30 feet and could also be used to load the bucked logs right onto a bunk trailer. Fascinating to watch.

The kerf is pretty wide, probably close to 5/16". I was able to modify my Oregon 511a in order to sharpen a loop of it using a 1/4" thick stone. Here's a cutter of what I sharpened:

That would be great. Bar is .250. + patina, of course. :)
The old scratcher chain is used up to nubs and no longer wide enough.
There's a length of Disston chisel chain from another parts saw, but the links and some rivets look dicey.

3/4" pitch harvester chain could work - but it's 122 ga. So would need a lot of work on the chain or the bar to fit. .404 seems more efficient.

smt

Well my parts book/catalog reprint came today and the clutch & sprocket removal are not much clearer.
Before the book came, i removed the nut on the end of the throw-out rod, and put a 3 wing puller over the clutch basket pushing on a threaded round slug, partially screwed onto the end of the rod.
"Moderate" pressure did not cause anything to budge. There is a liberal puddle of kroil in it, saw is on side. I decided to desist until the book came in the mail.

AFAICS in the book photo, that nut is the only thing holding it all together.
Am i missing something?
Or just need to take a deep breath and apply heavier tension on the puller?

smt

I have either a loop or length of 3/4 .080 or so. I believe it is scratcher as it came with my Titan ER. Those saws won't like pulling harvester chain much as. Has been mentioned, the kerf is way to wide. You really want scratcher for it. Its expensive and hard to get, but the way to go unless the saw is for display only.

I have either a loop or length of 3/4 .080 or so. I believe it is scratcher as it came with my Titan ER. Those saws won't like pulling harvester chain much as. Has been mentioned, the kerf is way to wide. You really want scratcher for it. Its expensive and hard to get, but the way to go unless the saw is for display only.
Actually, the kerf is smaller than the original Disston chisel chain on the other saw. (Both Disston KB7 - 's)
The bar thickness is .250 -.255. So it needs at least 5/16" kerf with new chain, as even chisel/chipper gets narrower as it is sharpened. .404 harvester chain stack plate thickness is smaller than the bar, too, @ .202" - .203" thick. The whole chain must weigh 1/2 or less that the original, is about 1/2 the height (for less twist in the bar), yet the drivers are not a whole lot shorter, for support down into the bar. It just looks like better chain. It could turn out that the chip limiters will need to be slightly higher.

Do you know how the clutch basket assembly comes off?

Thanks!
smt

Another tack, so to speak...
Is there a source for original unused chain rivets, for the Disston scratcher or chisel chain?
My chisel chain is pretty full. But it is sloppy and has some center links (big hole) used for outside links, presumably where the join was made.
It is this reason that i have been unwilling to use it. The rivets (perhaps obviously) don't fill the holes, though someone was running it that way. Once upon a time.
Side links from scratcher chain is also used on these; so for me there are 2 options. Replace the incorrect side links and re-rivet. Or, shorten the chain and run it on my 3' bar.
Either way, at least a couple rivets, maybe more depending on how the tooth spread works out.

I can certainly crank out some rivets out, too. Does anyone think that 4140 prehard would do the job? Original material spec? Current typical rivet material spec?

Beautiful!
Thanks you so much.
Is there a reprint book somewhere?
I have an original handbook for one of the saws, and got a reprint parts catalog that came this week.
Neither addresses rebuild items like the post you included.

Thanks again!
smt, just downhill from Twain's study.

Latest posts

Back