3/8 Chain filing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It's quite typical of Chinese origin chains to have significant inconsistencies. Get a good one and it makes you feel quite smug about the savings made. Until you get a few schitzo loops.

Using a grinder does help at least ensure everything is set consistently but it in no way ensures cutters wear reasonably consistently. For extra credit, mark the cutters that seem very soft and the ones that seem very hard. Then check the wear patterns of them for differences over time.

I've given up on Chinese chain and despite the cost have settled on Stihl chain, with just a few non-stihl chains left in the quiver to work through.
Cheers kiwi bro!

No worries and welcome aboard. Some great posters on this site and heaps of good info. Some fruitcakes too. So, a bit like real life ;-).

Do you pre soak the archer saw chain in bar oil? I wanted to test a archer bar and chain. I noticed the sprocket nose on the archer bar isn’t prelubed. I’m thinking this is why some posters post they burned up the sprocket nosed archer bar right away. Since the archer sprocket nosed barvisnt pre lubed I’m thinking their saw chain isn’t pre lubed too. So I plan on soaking the archer saw chain in bar oil first for a few days.

I’m no expert, just my thoughts

Hey thanks for the reply, was probably not all day but pretty solid for a few hours, maybe 5 or 6 tanks . Chain wasnt getting too hot either, i was running it on my ms660 and that pumps oil like a trooper. Weird thing is most of the hard teeth are on one side. Bar and chain was only 23usd so i will probably throw the chain out, was basically free.

Well I guess you get what you pay for.

I save the worn chains to cut skids/pallets with. Scrap pallets make good heat when we need one fire a night to take the chill off. The older chains are perfect for this. We hit a nail who cares.

I just slobber some oil on the roller and flip it around by hand then run some oil down the grove and chain, pull in up but not tight, burp it in for a while.

Adjust to proper running tension and cut, check after a few cuts and retension as necessary.

Heat can ether take the temper out or put it in. If it gets hot and cools slowly it takes the temper out. If it cools very fast it can put more temper back into the steel, making it harder.

Case hardening is common when the operator gets too heavy handed on the grinder. I quit paying people to sharpen chains for me, every place except one has ruined (can't be hand filed) chains.

Case hardening is common when the operator gets too heavy handed on the grinder. I quit paying people to sharpen chains for me, every place except one has ruined (can't be hand filed) chains.
Usually the problem arises when the operator leaves the grinder too long on the cutter. The cutter gets red hot and after that it will not hold an edge. Filing a chain does not cause this problem, nor will proper technique with the grinder. Using the grinder, many operators just lay into it. That does not work.

Not enough people have read what Philbert (or I) posted on this issue for years, nor have they followed either his or my advice.

Latest posts

Back