3/8 vs 404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on the advantages and disadvantages of running 0.404 chain vs 0.375? I realise that with the 0.404 chain, I may have one or two fewer cutters in the wood at any given moment, and if I remember correctly the rakers are a little lower on a 0.404 chain, but I can lower them on a 0.375 chain quickly and easily. So, I'm wondering which one would be better for me.

For reference, I'll be running this on an 064 with a 28" bar and I'll be cutting dead, but not seasoned oak, ash, locust, and hickory. I realise that my rim and the bar tip will need to be changed to match which ever chain I end up using. Just trying to decide which one.

Thanks,
Mark

Can anyone enlighten me on the advantages and disadvantages of running 0.404 chain vs 0.375? I realise that with the 0.404 chain, I may have one or two fewer cutters in the wood at any given moment, and if I remember correctly the rakers are a little lower on a 0.404 chain, but I can lower them on a 0.375 chain quickly and easily. So, I'm wondering which one would be better for me.

For reference, I'll be running this on an 064 with a 28" bar and I'll be cutting dead, but not seasoned oak, ash, locust, and hickory. I realise that my rim and the bar tip will need to be changed to match which ever chain I end up using. Just trying to decide which one.

Thanks,
Mark

.404 cuts a wider kerf, so the saw has to do more work to cut with .404. 660s and 640s come as standard with 3/8, I'd stick with that. The only thing that comes with .404 these days is an 880.

With the right saw and good power .404" actually cuts very very well. It will also outwear 3/8" chain too. Issue is running two different chain pitches which can be painful.
I have run both 3/8" and .404" and on my 119cc Husky 3120 .404" wins hands down for both speed and wear.
.404" will also outcut 3/8" on a 20" bar on my modified Dolmar 7900's and Husky 390's.

Back