3" cyl splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brisawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a splitter with a 3"cyl? I was thinking of building one with a 3 and a 16 gpm pump something fast for the easyer wood. I have most of the parts.I have a splitter with a 6"ram for the tough stuff its a tad slow.

I have no experience but I too have thought about it. Knowing that most woods breaks fairly easy I have to believe it would work well. Your average split pressure will be higher but still well under 1000lbs. IMO. I would also think that splitting the stringy stuff where your full strokin all the time ( haha no pum intended) is where the 3" will shine. With a setup like that you would be right there with the SS.

Looks like it would have about a 5 sec cycle time. Looked at speeding up the big splitter bigger pump lines ect. Cheaper to build a smaller faster for the easy stuff. May be a good project for cold weather.

Last edited:
Looks like it would have about a 5 sec cycle time. Looked at speeding up the big splitter bigger pump lines ect. Cheaper to build a smaller faster for the easy stuff. May be a good project for cold weather.

I'm sure a 3" piston would get me by too, with a 2" shaft for a fast backstroke.

I rarely see 1000 psi on my 4"
Ken

I made one many moons ago that had a 3" cyl that had a 2½" rod, it was off of a small rough terrain crane and man did that thing scream with a 16 gpm pump and a 6 horse Kubota Diesel engine, it was about the same speed as a super split but it bogged the engine down on the return stroke to the point of it almost stalling, didn't have #### for splitting power but it was not built for crotches it was built for putting wood in the pile and it did a damn fine job of it:greenchainsaw:

My uncle has one, he splits about 90% locust and it does a great job. No, its not used to bust up the crotches but those are few and far between with locust. If you've already got a monster with a 6" ram I think it would be time well spent.

I have an old Didier splitter that was made in the mid 70's. It has a 3" cylinder and does surprisingly well. I think that it works as well as it does because it has a very narrow wedge (3/4" thick) sharpened almost like a knife.

I split mostly oak, maple and beech, and almost never come across a log that will stop the piston. It slices through knots and crotches fairly well.
The downside is that pretty much every log goes full stroke since they don't "pop". Also the wedge is only about 6" high, so it I often have to roll a log over and split it again, as the log will be pushed full stroke, and not be split, the top side of the log will still hold it together.

I've never timed it but the cycle time seems fairly quick. In my mind it makes up for always going full stroke, and having to run some logs through a second time.

Stan

Figured on using one of those 1" thick wedges northern tool sells without any wings added. Got to get the dump hoist put on the ton truck then I may build it.

My homemade splitter is currently set-up with a 16GPM pump, 8HP engine and 3" cylinder. Cycle times are awesome but it lacks balls when splitting rounds over 10"-12". As someone else already mentioned, the return cycle seems to bog the engine a bit for some reason.

3" cylinder will work.

The splitter I am using now has only a 3" cylinder with a 26" throw, a 6.5 hp engine, 16 gpm, 2-stage pump. At full thottle it will cycle in less than 6 seconds.

Most of the time I operate it at a notch or two above idle and it splits about anything there is. I crank her up only on the crotch pieces. This little splitter works like a charm. The 2-stage pump and a 42-degree wedge with a 10-degree slant away from the toe plate is the secret to her success. And, she will run several hours on a half-gallon of gas.

With a cycle time that fast, you don't even need a detent on the return stroke--just a sober mind that thinks before you start to split. I just split some 24" dia. maple with it. Piece of cake.

Maybe not large enough return hose causing restriction. Return volume is much greater from piston side.

What kind of wedge do you have dusty? Do you think it would do 14-16" maple?

Here are a couple of pictures with decent shots of the homecut wedge. It will split just about anything you throw at it, however on the larger, tougher rounds you have to work from the outside inward. Straight down the middle will stop the ram in its tracks. I have since purchased a 5" O.D. cylinder with a 24" stroke which will hopefully be fitted to the splitter in the next few weeks. View attachment 114349

View attachment 114350

Here are a couple of pictures with decent shots of the homecut wedge. It will split just about anything you throw at it, however on the larger, tougher rounds you have to work from the outside inward. Straight down the middle will stop the ram in its tracks. I have since purchased a 5" O.D. cylinder with a 24" stroke which will hopefully be fitted to the splitter in the next few weeks. View attachment 114349

View attachment 114350
Why mount the wedge where the toe plate is normally found with most splitters being sold today?

Dosn't that wipe out vertical splitting altogether?

My homemade splitter is currently set-up with a 16GPM pump, 8HP engine and 3" cylinder. Cycle times are awesome but it lacks balls when splitting rounds over 10"-12". As someone else already mentioned, the return cycle seems to bog the engine a bit for some reason.

Its probably just the picture but that looks like a 2" cyl on one massive beam assembly.

Why mount the wedge where the toe plate is normally found with most splitters being sold today?

Dosn't that wipe out vertical splitting altogether?

We didnt build this splitter to go vertical, horizontal only. It will have a log lift eventually.

I see a number of 3 1/2" cylinders on sale at surplus center.I think thats the size id go with,even if you lose a little speed,you have a touch more power..

pump is working hard to push oil in a small area....

pi makes things quite misleading...

lots of people think a 4" bore is twice the power of a 2" bore, very untrue.

Latest posts

Back