3" cyl splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why mount the wedge where the toe plate is normally found with most splitters being sold today?

Dosn't that wipe out vertical splitting altogether?

id rather have the wedge on the end of the beam .i dont care about vertical splitting,its a pain in the back.id rather the rounds get pushed off the end by the next log.If the round is that big,I would rip it with my big saw first or use the loader to set it.

Qpump is working hard to push oil in a small area.... Q

And lot of oil moving out the closed side creates high back pressure. With 11gpm in, there is 15-25 gpm going out CL side. This effect is more pronounced with smaller diameters, as the ratio of closed side area to rod side area is much larger.
Then, this higher psi back pressure is applied to a larger area so the force is quite high. Rod side area then needs higher pressure to push the piston.

It is a strange effect, not 'common sense' maybe, but a servo valve and cylinder circuit, or any circuit that becomes pressure limited instead of flow limited, will retract the rod SLOWER than it extends.

Put a gauge in it, if the pressure is too high the pump is probably unloading to low speed, or if really bad might be going across the relief valve.
If it is a problem, you could try larger return hoses, larger return filter, larger valve, or in extreme cases a pilot operated valve from closed side right back to tank. There was an earlier post about a larger Timberwolf splitter that may use this circuit.

Latest posts

Back