3 Point Hitch Winches, tractor tire chains, etc..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with the guys at Champlain Valley Equipment (CVE) down in the big city today. They said do not put chains on all 4 tires, just on the back.

I also asked about going to an R1. That option is just cost prohibitive. I'd have to put new wheels on not just replace the tires. The cheapest solution to my traction problem is to put some decent chains on the 16.9 - 24 rears. Maybe not top of the line ice spikes Talon ATS ($1200/pair), but a good set of Tru Grip TRU260s, They are an H-bar pattern chain. A little over $500/pair.

I looked at the Wallenstein logging winches as well. They look well made but we're talking over $4K for the FX90. That's not chump change.
Also looked a Fournier's Equipment and they don't have any used ones coming up on the auction block next week.

CVE also mentioned they sell a very good logging winch I can run off the rear remote hydraulics of the TN70. Does anyone have any experience with this type of winch?

Thanks much, Carl

I spoke with the guys at Champlain Valley Equipment (CVE) down in the big city today. They said do not put chains on all 4 tires, just on the back.

I also asked about going to an R1. That option is just cost prohibitive. I'd have to put new wheels on not just replace the tires. The cheapest solution to my traction problem is to put some decent chains on the 16.9 - 24 rears. Maybe not top of the line ice spikes Talon ATS ($1200/pair), but a good set of Tru Grip TRU260s, They are an H-bar pattern chain. A little over $500/pair.

I looked at the Wallenstein logging winches as well. They look well made but we're talking over $4K for the FX90. That's not chump change.
Also looked a Fournier's Equipment and they don't have any used ones coming up on the auction block next week.

CVE also mentioned they sell a very good logging winch I can run off the rear remote hydraulics of the TN70. Does anyone have any experience with this type of winch?

Thanks much, Carl

have you looked into a set of ring chains like what skidders use? theyre cheaper than ice chains, but very heavy duty and last much longer than most "tractor" chains

tire chains

No I cant say that I have. It sounds like it might be expensive to put a large enough hydraulic motor to give it the power that you need to pull logs. Mine will pull 11,000 pounds. What is it rated for?

Let me look in the garage I might have a set of double ring chains that you can have cheap. I will let you know.

If you have a second I posted a pic of my neighbors tractor with a huge maple log that he pulled with his winch. The town cut it down along the roadside cause they considered it a hazard.

Thanks much, Carl

More news at 11

I ended up with a Fransgard, I have use it twice so far, once for a big ole pine and the second time to pull my neighbors boat from the bottom of the lake. Work great on both occasions and the second one it earned me a bottle of Captin Morgans. As far as chains go I am keeping my eye open for a good used set however I have AGs on right now and think I will be fine for the most part. Part of me wishes my tractor came with Industrials, they would be far superior for around the house stuff then chain it up when duty calls. I think it would be a easier and cheaper to buy a set of chains vs a set of AG Tires and you would have the best of both worlds.

That is exactly what the pm that I sent Steve yesterday said. Isn't first hand knowledge from people willing to share it what made this site so great? I wasn't the troll I was trolled. What is the difference between someone saying Stihl is better than Husky or vice versa.
Anyhow after going to the Boonville NYS woodsman days yesterday I can say that the Wallenstien winches are now built a lot better than they were ten years ago when I had mine. I didnt do any calculations but the improvements that they have made to the structure of the winch are extenaive.I do however not like how the fairlead system is. It looks similar to the one that failed on mine. The fairlead roller and the cable are very close to the rope that operates the clutch.

I was sold on a Farmi 501 for my Kubota 6800.But then the Wallenstein dealer told me about the trailer hitch that was on the 90 series.That would be nice not having to winch the wood then drive back and unhitch to hitch up the wagon.But now I am thinking about the post about wallensteins.I could not compare the two but was told their clutch systems ar very similar.Do not know what to do now.

Everybody has there own likes and dislikes with any given product.

Most of the dislikes are directly porpotional to the competency of the operator.

They all do a great job. Take into account a tractor is not a skidder, working within there limitations they are great assets in the firewood game.

I have never bought anything thus far in my life that I would consider a POS, but then again I have the ability to read and have mechanical knowledge, and the added asset of being capable of destroying anything.

Never bought anything that was a POS? Guess you never owned a Ford vehicle? :msp_biggrin:

I was sold on a Farmi 501 for my Kubota 6800.But then the Wallenstein dealer told me about the trailer hitch that was on the 90 series.That would be nice not having to winch the wood then drive back and unhitch to hitch up the wagon.But now I am thinking about the post about wallensteins.I could not compare the two but was told their clutch systems ar very similar.Do not know what to do now.

I welded a hitch plate to the back of my Farmi . My neighbor welded a short Reese hitch to the back of his.I didnt weld it on when my winch was new. The certified welder in me won that battle after I had to take the winch off a few times to move something. I have moved wagons, my dump trailer, and log trailer with it on now. The hitch is really handy no doubt. Did you read my post that the new wallenstiens look a lot heavier duty than the one I have ten years ago? Maybe it was just a fluke failure that I had with mine. What is the clutch warranty? Its 5 yrs on mine. I cut some leaning trees for a neighbor one time. Out of habit we always notch the leaner, put tension in the cable, set the brake on the winch, make the felling cut and pull it over with the winch. My neighbor ...not the farmer with the farmi...was running the winch and he missed the part of setting the brake. I was running the saw. When I looked up to have him pull it over smoke was rolling out of the winch. That was five years ago and that clutch is still pulling strong. Don't ask me why but it is.:msp_scared:

I think it would hit while turning.The Wallenstein has a 5 yr warranty on the drive if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back