3 point log splitters.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Ford 5000 tractor with remote hrydrlic hook ups. I'd like to have a 3 point splitter but was ondering how they work. I can't begine to know how the cylinder will move if I am on the ground rolling blocks to split and having a handle on the splitter it's self. I would hate to be climbing up on that horse every time I needed the cylinder to move all day.

:D Al

This is a generalization but from what I have heard of 3pt splitters, they are slow. That of course depends upon the pump on your particular tractor. If you've ever had an implement on it that has hydraulics, I would think that would be an indication of how fast you could expect the ram on a splitter to move.

If I understand your question, this may help. This link SpeeCo Inc. - Log Splitter, Tractor Parts, OEM and Farm Accessory Contact information will take you to the Speeco splitter I use with my Kubota 30 HP tractor. I hooked into the hydraulic fittings that come out the side. This is the only picture I have. Mine is babychit yellow, not red like on the link. The cylinder actuation lever is in the center near the working end of the ram. I rev the tractor to about the same level I do when I mow and control is very handy at the lever. It's not the fastest system on the planet but for my firewood use I have absolutely no complaints and I give it a good recommendation. It is plenty strong and has not failed to split any of the big rounds I load into it. It will work both horizontal and upright. I take the legs off when I mount it to the 3-point hitch. They just get in the way. I had to buy the hydraulic lines separately, mine are 14' long, just long enough. If you go this route and you figure how long the feed and return lines need to be, add 4'. I bought my splitter at Tractor Supply a few years ago on sale. I felt I got a good deal and it has certainly earned its keep here on the farm.

WoodPileDimensions.jpg

3 pt splitters work. But personally they are too slow for me.

I don't care to put the extra hours on my tractor and the fuel consumption is an issue.

I much prefer a stand alone splitter. But that's just me...

Al, I just checked TractorData.com for specs on your 5000. You've got 2500PSI and 6GPM if your pump is in good shape. On a 4"x24" cylinder, that's about 15 tons and 22 seconds cycle time at full stroke. Being single stage though, that's 22 seconds in good wood, nasty stringy wood, crotches, knots, whatever. No "kickdown" like the little gas motor powered splitters when the going gets tough. If you're not looking for mega production, that might be plenty for you.

If you want more speed, you could add a PTO pump with more flow. Most of them are 2500PSI also, so you won't be gaining tonnage, but 15 tons is probably plenty for 98% of the wood out there.

Running it doesn't require getting on and off, tie the lever on the tractor back and use the lever on the splitter.

I have an old Danuser MS-1 3 pt. mounted splitter on my JD790 compact utility. The lever to operate the cylinder is right at the cylinder, so you don't have to climb on and off the tractor to operate.

What's Good: You set the working height. On the ground to roll up big rounds, or waist level for the small stuff. It goes where the tractor goes into the timber. So you have a loader, splitter, skidder, etc...all in one. One less engine I have to maintain. I'd would rather listen to diesel at near idle than a screaming little engine.

What's Bad: SLOW cylinder/cycle speed. Of course it will depend on the condition and size of your hydraulic pump/system on your tractor. Mine was designed before log lifts, catch baskets, etc...could be added by the owner I guess. I couldn't come close to the productivity with mine as compared to a dedicated splitter.

In a perfect world, I'd have one of each. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.

I have an old Danuser MS-1 3 pt. mounted splitter on my JD790 compact utility. The lever to operate the cylinder is right at the cylinder, so you don't have to climb on and off the tractor to operate.

What's Good: You set the working height. On the ground to roll up big rounds, or waist level for the small stuff. It goes where the tractor goes into the timber. So you have a loader, splitter, skidder, etc...all in one. One less engine I have to maintain. I'd would rather listen to diesel at near idle than a screaming little engine.

What's Bad: SLOW cylinder/cycle speed. Of course it will depend on the condition and size of your hydraulic pump/system on your tractor. Mine was designed before log lifts, catch baskets, etc...could be added by the owner I guess. I couldn't come close to the productivity with mine as compared to a dedicated splitter.

In a perfect world, I'd have one of each. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.

Have a timberwolf tw-3hd 20 gpm pto pump love it 12 years old with log lift wedge lift and auto return best investment. also an old brunco buster i leave by the furnace for the ones that got by the first time.

Thank you Flash hole and tnickol for the informtive replys. Once I mount the spliter on the tractor I tie the remote hydrlic leaver back and use a lever on the splitter to get the cylinder to move correct? It will be a lot easier getting a tractor mounted spliter in places it would be nearly impossiable to get a tow behind into.
Sounds like the 3 point splitter is right up my old and slow pace, but gets the job done in the end and I won't have to roll or drag big rounds to the trailer and lift them up to get them to the furnace.

Once I can lift them I can use the speed demond to finish them off.

100909_2370.jpg

I bought the same splitter that Flashhole has last year. I really like it, mainly because it's split everything I put on it and I like the size of the splitter. It's a little less than 6' long. I never used the 3 point hitch that came with it because I welded some sleeves on the bottom and run the splitter upside down on the loader forks. I have lots of wood that's 40 inches across the cut and it's never failed to split any of them. This wood is butt cuts and shuch from timber harvest. I also like the guides that holds the splitting wedge. It's a great design. My tractor has about 14 gpm pump and it's far faster than me.

"Sounds like the 3 point splitter is right up my old and slow pace, but gets the job done in the end ..."

Sir you are not alone! But, don't think it is too slow. It is not. It works at a good pace. One thing I found that speeds the job up is to have a few short-cut wood blocks to place in the log cradle at the foot of the splitter. The spacer will shorten the throw of the ram. The splitter will take a fairly long piece of wood but if you are cutting to fireplace lengths 16 ~18 inches having the spacer block at the end saves some time. If you split the spacer just put another one in.

Not sure I understand your question about tying the lever back. My hydraulic lines just connect to stubouts on the side of the tractor. There is no valve or control mechanism between the main hydraulic resovoir on the tractor and the control valve on the splitter but there is an internal valve that I have to turn to route flow to the external lines. When I outfitted my tractor I figured out the hydraulic flow and alternated the male/female connectors. One each male and female on the tractor, one each male and female on the splitter lines. That way I don't have to think it through every time I want to use it. I just mate the connectors to the proper gender. Do you have a picture of the mechanism?

I have a Ford 5000 tractor with remote hrydrlic hook ups. I'd like to have a 3 point splitter but was ondering how they work. I can't begine to know how the cylinder will move if I am on the ground rolling blocks to split and having a handle on the splitter it's self. I would hate to be climbing up on that horse every time I needed the cylinder to move all day.

Al. I can tell you, you can operate your splitter from the ground! LOL No need to be going up on to the tractor to operate it. I been using this 3pt. splitter on my 5000 diesel since 1986.
It is called a 11 ton splitter. Been contemplating getting a newer, faster splitter, maybe even a two way splitter, just can't get myself to spend the money, and find I still like the old splitter better.:msp_ohmy:
Like was stated earlier, the 5000's pump is rated at 6 gpm. Not the fastest thing going, but adequate. I usually run mine somewhere around 1500-1700 rpm while splitting. The rated rpm for 540 pto operation is 1,900 I believe. It isn't terrible on fuel.

Your tractor might be different, depending on which hyd. lever (spool)? setup yours has. On mine there is an adjustment you can change with a screw driver. Under normal operation using a remote cyl. when you flip the lever on the tractor, once a cyl. gets to the end of its stroke, it pops back to neutral. You set that so when your operating your splitter, it transfers that operation, so to speak, to the lever on your splitter.

100_0511.jpg

100_0510.jpg

100_0517.jpg

Gregg,

Back