3 point log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gregg, that green splitter is about as elegant a splitter design as I have seen. All the business is done at the ends of the heavy wall pipe. Ever have a problem with the bolt flange on the cylinder not being strong enough or the pipe/push-plate guides needing lubed?

Gregg wrote "I'll add a second vote for the Speeco 3pt. Just like Flashole's only different color."

I like your red color better than my baby **** yellow. I'm going on year 4 with the splitter and will have to do some touch up painting next year. Maybe I will disassemble it and change it to Kubota orange to match the tractor.

The 3 point splitters seem to work OK but all that I've seen are slower than a good stand alone unit.I don't care for them too much simply because I don't want to put added hours on my tractor engines and regardless of weather you're running the tractor engine at idle or at recomended PTO RPM speed fuel use is higher than with a 10 or 12 horse stand alone splitter.

Gregg, that green splitter is about as elegant a splitter design as I have seen. All the business is done at the ends of the heavy wall pipe. Ever have a problem with the bolt flange on the cylinder not being strong enough or the pipe/push-plate guides needing lubed?

Gregg wrote "I'll add a second vote for the Speeco 3pt. Just like Flashole's only different color."

I like your red color better than my baby **** yellow. I'm going on year 4 with the splitter and will have to do some touch up painting next year. Maybe I will disassemble it and change it to Kubota orange to match the tractor.

Thanks, That old splitter has never given me any trouble at all! I use to occasionally squirt a little oil on the pipes/push plate slides. But that was just a waste of oil & time. LOL They fit loose enough, and push straight back, there is never any binding. It more or less just keeps things inline.

I was always amazed at how strong the thing is. I also liked that you could stand & split from either side. The control handle is in the center at top. And, there was nothing to bang your knees on or trip over. LOL

The 3pt. hitch on my tractor would not go low enough to get it on the ground, so that is one reason I wanted to try the Speeco with its vertical capability.

Something to consider with a 3pt splitter is to make sure there is a valve for the splitter right next to the cylinder. If you use one which relies on the tractor's remote valve, not only is it a pain to operate from the ground, but more importantly there is too much fluid which stays in the hydraulic lines/cylinder causing the fluid to get much hotter than it should.

My first splitter consisted of a:
- 6' long length of 6" wide flange beam on which I had welded a wedge to output end of.
- A 4" x 24" tie rod cylinder & hoses.

To move it around I welded a 3" length of 3/4 pipe across the end of an 8" length of 2" x 1/4" square tubing which went into the hitch I had for the 3pt. On the end of the beam behind the cylinder, I welded an eye to each side of the beam to bracket the 3/4" pipe from the 3pt hitch receiver. I used a 3/4" bolt for a pin/hinge pin. To raise it up I attached a short length of chain between the top of the 3pt hitch & the push sled attached to the cylinder. When I extended the cylinder it raised the splitter. Simple & quick to make. I had around $200 invested.

The next season I converted it to a dedicated horizontal splitter similar to the Timber wolf TW5 only I added a few extras. (Oil cooler, hydraulic wheeled jack to make it easy to hitch up & to have level on uneven ground.) It has a hitch so I can pull a small trailer which has my cutting tool & can hold a half a cord of wood. (This is legal in Missouri per Highway Patrol.)

Converting the splitter to a stand alone saved on fuel, allowed for faster cycle times (8.8 sec), a better flow of wood & freed the tractor up. I like to be able to fill the loader bucket up with splits when I don't have the elevator handy, then dump them into the large 3 cord dump trailer instead of having to throw them. :msp_thumbup:

Something to consider with a 3pt splitter is to make sure there is a valve for the splitter right next to the cylinder. If you use one which relies on the tractor's remote valve, not only is it a pain to operate from the ground, but more importantly there is too much fluid which stays in the hydraulic lines/cylinder causing the fluid to get much hotter than it should.

My first splitter consisted of a:
- 6' long length of 6" wide flange beam on which I had welded a wedge to output end of.
- A 4" x 24" tie rod cylinder & hoses.

To move it around I welded a 3" length of 3/4 pipe across the end of an 8" length of 2" x 1/4" square tubing which went into the hitch I had for the 3pt. On the end of the beam behind the cylinder, I welded an eye to each side of the beam to bracket the 3/4" pipe from the 3pt hitch receiver. I used a 3/4" bolt for a pin/hinge pin. To raise it up I attached a short length of chain between the top of the 3pt hitch & the push sled attached to the cylinder. When I extended the cylinder it raised the splitter. Simple & quick to make. I had around $200 invested.

The next season I converted it to a dedicated horizontal splitter similar to the Timber wolf TW5 only I added a few extras. (Oil cooler, hydraulic wheeled jack to make it easy to hitch up & to have level on uneven ground.) It has a hitch so I can pull a small trailer which has my cutting tool & can hold a half a cord of wood. (This is legal in Missouri per Highway Patrol.)

Converting the splitter to a stand alone saved on fuel, allowed for faster cycle times (8.8 sec), a better flow of wood & freed the tractor up. I like to be able to fill the loader bucket up with splits when I don't have the elevator handy, then dump them into the large 3 cord dump trailer instead of having to throw them. :msp_thumbup:
Thanks for your input.

Built this 3 point PTO driven log splitter over twenty years ago, however, the semi automatic, voice activated, hydraulic control valve actuator no longer functions as designed.

Last edited:
PTO coupler type 3-point vertical splitter

As a kid, we use to have a American Wood Splitter that was mounted to the 3-point hitch of our IH 364 and had a coupler that you just slipped on to the PTO shaft. It was a vertical type. Worked very, very well. Not really interested in plumbing into the rear remote hydraulics on my TN70.
Does anyone still make a similar model that utilizes the PTO shaft to power the splitter hydraulic pump?

Last edited:
Back