3 point snowblowers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked my brother. He said his 60" WoodMaxx works well. He has not had any real issues with it other than snow was sticking to the housing and chute, which could happen to any brand if the snow is wet. He applied a layer of Turtlewax and said since then he hasn't had that issue. His tractor is a Ford 1710 which has about 24 HP at the PTO. Going in the lowest reverse gear he said the snow went about 25 feet. With your shuttleshift Bobcat and extra HP, running a 6' blower should work well.

Long as you're happy with it in your circumstances, that's the main thing. No way I would want a walk behind over a tractor in our 5-6' deep of drifted driveway & yard though. Sounds like you maybe don't get as much snow if you can do that in an hour.

Been doin’ snow removal for many years. I only do my own properties now for a wide variety of reasons. If your getting it done with a clunky 3pt tractor, all the power to you. My lawn mower is a 19hp Kubota diesel with a 60” belly mower. Neighbor owns a z-turn and he can literally run circles around me. New tech. Go figure.

The plow on the front of the tractor works good till we get about 12" or more then the snowblower really pays off. I have a 72" front mount ffc right now that is a beast and works great. I just figured I can sell the front mount but a new 3 point and pocket 2,000$ or more.

We also have 6 miles or so of woods roads to keep clear all winter. Start out with a bucket, & blade on back, then a 10' angle blade on the front, then when it gets to 'max winter' the blower goes on the back. But even with just the d/w & yard I will always stick with our clunky 3 pt. tractor. Looking back is a PITA of course, but the overall versatility wins it. When you have to continually clutch a 100hp tractor at PTO speed in low gear to let the blower clear itself, you know the snow is deep & heavy. Hard go there for a walk behind, even a Super Honda. (Said while also not minding the idea of having one - they are very nice rigs....)

You got to be kidding me. Our backhoe with the front blade mounted would go up 6 miles of back road like crap through a goose and its only 90hp. A 100hp with front bucket then rear blade and then the blower on the back? Wow. What is your average snowfall??

When the snow get's real deep around here and I've got to go break trails, it's time to get out the dozer!

standard.jpg

I have to admit, THIS, does work pretty good though!

standard.jpg

SR

You got to be kidding me. Our backhoe with the front blade mounted would go up 6 miles of back road like crap through a goose and its only 90hp. A 100hp with front bucket then rear blade and then the blower on the back? Wow. What is your average snowfall??

Uh, those aren't all on at once. In a real winter, the last phase is taking the blade off the front and putting the bucket back on, and taking the landscape blade off the back and putting the blower on. You can only make so many trips down a woods road thru 1-2' of snow (where its not drifted) before you're up against rock hard snow banks. Throw in 6' drifts in places and multiple snowfalls and I don't think I'd want to be in a backhoe. Last year we had 5' of accumulation in a week mid February from 3 different blizzards.

My driveway is just over 1000 feet, and the various paths I do to different outbuildings etc is another 300 feet or so, so about a quarter mile total. Until now I've been using two 18hp garden tractors, one with a 4' blower widened to 52" with OEM extension wings, and cab, the other has a 54" blade. With 32" rear rubber they work well. I can't wait to try the Kioti out with quick attach front blade, that should be done by winter.......hopefully

https://pronovost.qc.ca/en/snowblowers
These blowers are well regarded up here , check and see if you have a dealer.
I have a friend of mine that has a 72 " Meteor on his 35hp Kubota, no issues with it whatsoever.
I run Trygg studded ice chains on 2 of my tractors, worth every penny and will outlast any of the cheaper import studded chain .
Simple cross chains are better than none .

Uh, those aren't all on at once. In a real winter, the last phase is taking the blade off the front and putting the bucket back on, and taking the landscape blade off the back and putting the blower on. You can only make so many trips down a woods road thru 1-2' of snow (where its not drifted) before you're up against rock hard snow banks. Throw in 6' drifts in places and multiple snowfalls and I don't think I'd want to be in a backhoe. Last year we had 5' of accumulation in a week mid February from 3 different blizzards.

You did not answer my original question regarding your annual snow fall. So I looked it up and you bat out around 100”. Can't figure out how you struggle to maintain 6 miles of road in a winter with a 100hp tractor with a front bucket, a rear blade, a 10’ angle blade and “max” blower on the back. That just don’t make no sense even with the dreaded 5 or 6 foot drifts.

Sorry son, not buying it. Around here, you aint got chains, you aint got nothin.
First of all, I'm NOT your son... Thankyou God!

Secondly, I'm NOT from where ever your "around here" is. Thankyou God several times over!!

SO, my MFWD tractor works just fine where "I" live, even in the deepest snow. It just keeps on pushing snow WITHOUT huge amounts of tire spinning...

I have chains I "could" put on it, but it just doesn't need them so why bother...

SR

I've got a set of studded chains. Made locally here in Maine. Not cheap but worth every penny. Loading the tires has also make a huge difference in traction. 30.5 Gallons of windshield washer fluid in each tire.

Secondly, I'm NOT from where ever your "around here" is. Thankyou God several times over!!

SO, my MFWD tractor works just fine where "I" live, even in the deepest snow. It just keeps on pushing snow WITHOUT huge amounts of tire spinning...

I have chains I "could" put on it, but it just doesn't need them so why bother...

SR
Let me guess, you also don’t load your tires, don’t use wheel weights and have no counter weight on the back and you never spin a tire. Right… snow removal.

You did not answer my original question regarding your annual snow fall. So I looked it up and you bat out around 100”. Can't figure out how you struggle to maintain 6 miles of road in a winter with a 100hp tractor with a front bucket, a rear blade, a 10’ angle blade and “max” blower on the back. That just don’t make no sense even with the dreaded 5 or 6 foot drifts.

Did you take into account the temperature of the snowfalls and the heaviness of the snow and the moderating temperatures and the thaw/freeze cycles turning snow banks to ice?

Sorry you can't make sense of it - don't know what else to say.

I used to have a nice walk behind that did every thing I needed, about 75' of drive, a couple older neighbors drives, the court out front, and the back yard for the dogs. A couple of us with blowers would make a day of doing the neighbor hood if it was deep. Then we had 2 years with next to no snow, just put everything in 4 wd. The third year we got hammered several times. The blower wouldn't start. Even though I let my 4 stroke engines run dry before I put them away, when I pulled the carb bowl it was one stinking mass of yellow jellow. I have so much gas powered junk, like the rest of you, that I try to have a "start all of the engines day" every month or so. Last year I bought a heavy 8' grader blade for my MF135, and gave the blower to a friend. We don't have ethanol free gas around here, so I have to stay on top of letting stuff sit, Joe.

The gas is a issue esp. For those items you don't use on a regular basis. I looked long and hard to find my diesel generator for this exact reason. I also start my snowmobile every couple weeks during the summer and my riding mower in the winter. The mower is a 2004 and still has the orginal battery fuel line filter etc.

SR
Agree with you 100%. Live at end of Michigan snow belt and my NH TC33D, works just fine without chains. 4 wheel drive loaded rear tires. That's my experience and New England, just needs to use what works for him. His equipment is not worth moose crap without chains.

Latest posts

Back