3 point snowblowers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me guess, you also don’t load your tires, don’t use wheel weights and have no counter weight on the back and you never spin a tire. Right… snow removal.
IF you would quit acting like a "know it all" Richard Cranium, you'd get along a lot better here...

I'll humor you one last time... I have 750 pounds of cal. in each rear tire and they are "Super Traction Radials"... And, MOST of the time, I have this on the back, (without the log)

standard.jpg

Any more snarky reply's??

SR

In all seriousness, I have a 48" Luck Now 3pt blower and I really don't care for it...maybe not enough tractor (18hp at the PTO). My drive makes two 90's and is all on a hill...feel like I'm eating every ounce of snow no matter what the wind direction. I'm back to either back blade and bucket, or my ATV w/ plow.

IF you would quit acting like a "know it all" Richard Cranium, you'd get along a lot better here...

I'll humor you one last time... I have 750 pounds of cal. in each rear tire and they are "Super Traction Radials"... And, MOST of the time, I have this on the back, (without the log)

standard.jpg

Any more snarky reply's??

SR

Sure. You own tire chains but you don’t put them on?? You bother to mount the plow but not the chains. Are you sure you don’t live in New England??

What is that thing anyway. Looks a bit like a john deere 2155. German made nice machine.

Did you take into account the temperature of the snowfalls and the heaviness of the snow and the moderating temperatures and the thaw/freeze cycles turning snow banks to ice?

Sorry you can't make sense of it - don't know what else to say.

I live out on the coast. Sounds just like our weather only we get less snow. Do you really drive a tractor backward up 6 miles of snow covered logging road?? How many times a winter do you do this??

I live out on the coast. Sounds just like our weather only we get less snow. Do you really drive a tractor backward up 6 miles of snow covered logging road?? How many times a winter do you do this??

No - it's not all up, some of it is down.

That's in 2 roads with 3 miles of highway between them.

Depends on the winter. In a light snow year the blower might not even go on and the blade does it all - you just said yourself that you get less snow, so that might be more what you're used to. And likely why you can't relate. In a more typical or heavy snow year, it could be 3 or 4 times or maybe a couple more with the blower. All depends on the storm cycle that year.

And to try to help you relate more - just because the weather people said the last storm was a 6" storm, that doesn't mean there is now 6" of new snow on your road. If it's mid-winter and you have banks built up, then you will have as much new snow on the road as the banks are high - so a '6 inch snow' could leave you with 3 feet of snow on your road if your banks are that high. That's what happens when the snow comes sideways through open hardwoods. And even more in drift prone areas.

Next time I am in the yard I will try to remember to take & post a pic of our blower - just to hopefully help out the OP on his questions. This is getting a bit sideways....

Don’t worry about it. The OP has a front mount and there is nothing else really going on in this forum. Post away.

No - it's not all up, some of it is down.

That's in 2 roads with 3 miles of highway between them.

Depends on the winter. In a light snow year the blower might not even go on and the blade does it all - you just said yourself that you get less snow, so that might be more what you're used to. And likely why you can't relate. In a more typical or heavy snow year, it could be 3 or 4 times or maybe a couple more with the blower. All depends on the storm cycle that year.

And to try to help you relate more - just because the weather people said the last storm was a 6" storm, that doesn't mean there is now 6" of new snow on your road. If it's mid-winter and you have banks built up, then you will have as much new snow on the road as the banks are high - so a '6 inch snow' could leave you with 3 feet of snow on your road if your banks are that high. That's what happens when the snow comes sideways through open hardwoods. And even more in drift prone areas.

Next time I am in the yard I will try to remember to take & post a pic of our blower - just to hopefully help out the OP on his questions. This is getting a bit sideways....

NSMaple1 lives a few hours away from me but I'm on the coast , he's at higher elevation an inland, I can go cut firewood every weekend in the winter but he can be shut out for 2 months , I can get wet snow 15 minutes towards the coast and a foot of fluffy snow 15 minutes inland .
Since the terrain is far from flat at home studded chains keep me from sliding into my house or into the wife's car when working in wet packed snow or an ice storm .
Ask the plow drivers that operate graders or front end loaders how good the traction is at 5F on rubber equipment tires without chains .
I have a loader , snow blade , back blade and snowblower , I use all 4 in the winter and pic what I feel is the best tool for the snow conditions .

The above post is not meant to derail the op , just an observation on some of the stuff I've run or have been exposed to in the conditions I have .
Get any 3pt blower that you can get local dealer support and hope that you'll never need it and get any other tool that will help you out if you ever need it .

We get a bit of snow here. I have a variety if equipment to use depending on the amount of snow. My Kubota, I built the cab, have chains for front and rear, put on when needed. Dog picture is from inside my garage door, next one is the view from outside, took me most of the day to move the snow woke up next morning and it was all back again. Last picture is my barn roof, different storm. I came home from work and my dog was sitting on the peak of the barn.
IMG-20120108-00505.jpg IMG-20140125-00613.jpg IMG-20140125-00622.jpg IMG-20140131-00646.jpg

I can't see spending 2,400 on a new blower when I can find used around here for 400 or so. Being on the west side of the big lakes it wouldn't see much use. Maybe you guys see more snow out east.

I buy a **** ton of stuff used on clist and the 72-84" blowers seem to being really good money here. Always north of 2,000

I can't see spending 2,400 on a new blower when I can find used around here for 400 or so. Being on the west side of the big lakes it wouldn't see much use. Maybe you guys see more snow out east.

Bingo! I'm into mine for about $350 and it had very little use when I bought it. Some winters I get buried in drifts and it gets the tar worked out of it. Or like last year I didn't even put it on due to no snow. Lots of variables.

Steven

Bingo! I'm into mine for about $350 and it had very little use when I bought it. Some winters I get buried in drifts and it gets the tar worked out of it. Or like last year I didn't even put it on due to no snow. Lots of variables.

Steven
Same here some years no snow and you see them on the side of the roads in front of farm sites with 4 sale signs on them.

Used can be good. Usually the first thing that deteriorates on them is the paint - which can knock the curb appeal down but is an easy fix. Beware deeper rust though - if it's been worked in salt, there could be rotten spots. Aside from that - bearing & chain replacement is also cheap & fairly easy. The big money repair thing to watch for would be a bad gearbox.

I'll try a couple pics I found on my computer. Just what I had.

20170214_082415.jpg

That was after one of last winters bad ones. The tractor was parked at my fathers house, but the way the storm went it blew in weird & he couldn't get out either door. So I had to take the little one out and clear a path & doorways so we could get to the tractor. I could have snowshoed to it, I guess, but the doorways still needed blown with the little one anyway.

Only one I found of the tractor & blower - doesn't show much:

p_00592.jpg

We had some monster snow years in the last 10 years or so. Last year was hardly any snow, but other years we had some big storms, Nemo brought 31" to my area, and a lot of these years saw storm after storm with little to no melting in between. Until this coming year, I used garden tractors. So anything is possible.

Cantoo...what model Kubota is that? I have an L3600 and have been thinking about mounting a plow on the FEL...how do you like it?

Back