3 pt. hitch wood rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got everything done and tried it out , first was on a load of big pine rounds , it was cut maybe a year ago . The tractor handled it pretty good but you could tell it was heavy !! I did the math and it will hold 1/3 of a cord , with the pine thats about 1000 pds. with green wood , with green oak its going to be about 2000 pds , I don't think the tractor will handle that . So I won't fill them up completely . Here's the pics .

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice set up there Chug! :clap:

Nice job. Just one suggestion. If you can build it wider. If it's wider you can haul the same amount and not have it as tipsy. That second row of wood sticking out that far really lifts the front end. Also if you get into ditched areas it could drag. But like I said nice work.

Scott

Last edited:
Just got 3 more racks built , I'm going to try a load of dead oak , its pretty big stuff , been dead for quite a while but still solid , no bark left on it , I probably won't get to it until first of the week . I'll report back how it handles the weight .

I had the same idea, but our little Ford 8n has a hard enough time lifting just 500 pounds.

easy now. the second tractor i ever drove was an 8n with what we called a speederbox on it. it was probably 3ft long, 2ft wide and had 12inch sides on it. i would round that thing over and then try to drive around without spilling any. it didnt help that reverse was about the same gear ratio as 3rd! thats the only tractor ive had on two wheels unintentionally. kinda scary as a 12 year old to be lookin at the sky. i learned not to overload the speederbox and pop the clutch at the same time!

Last edited:
:computer::popcorn:
Did you get to it yet? I'm getting ready to build and want to know if I have to change anything. I looked at a King Kutter pallet mover and it is spec out at 2,000lbs. I would think yours will hold up.
Just got 3 more racks built , I'm going to try a load of dead oak , its pretty big stuff , been dead for quite a while but still solid , no bark left on it , I probably won't get to it until first of the week . I'll report back how it handles the weight .

Haven't had time RAF , between work and a fishing trip I just haven't got to it yet . Have you started to build yours yet ??

Could you put a hitch on the back of your rig?

I put a hitch on my small trailer for the small jobs,

I tandem both the trailer and the splitter with my atv into the woods. I split and toss wood right into the trailer.

I like your welding, looks like a pro's work. Makes my .030 beads look like cow-boogers.

Haven't had time RAF , between work and a fishing trip I just haven't got to it yet . Have you started to build yours yet ??
Not yet, was going to last week but got sick. Going to try this week. Going to make similar to yours. Going to add a small gusset were the horizontal and vertical pieces come together just to give a little more strength. I think I am going to try smaller gussets than yours on the fork part. I'm shooting to be able to carry a 1/3 cord oak:D. On another forum a guy using a smaller BX model kubota can carry a 1/4 cord dry oak. A 1/3 of dry oak should be no more than 1500lbs. right?

We used a homemade fork on our 826 Farmall to lift big round bales and one pallet of cut railroad ties(stacked 4 ft. high). It was a lot for the forks, but not for the tractor. We had to add about 400-500 lbs. of weight to the front to keep the tires on the ground and I think the forks bent with some of the bigger bales.

Going to add a small gusset were the horizontal and vertical pieces come together just to give a little more strength.

I think that would be a good idea. Don't mean to nitpick (your finished product looks great), but those large gussets don't look like they do much. They will help keep the forks square and that's all. Something, maybe a 4"x4" triangle in the corner where the forks connect would be a good thing.

Don't forget if you put gussets in the corners to support the forks there going to hit the pallet and not allow the load to slide all the way up against the frame , which would put even more weight on the end of the forks . Thats why I ran them the other way .

Yes, still going too run them out the backside, but just putting the gusset over the weld at the joint just so it has a little more beef.

Latest posts

Back